I am officially Jealous: Monorails discussion

montyz81

Original Poster
I am jealous of the new DL Monorails. VII Blue looks fantastic in and futuristic. It nicely incorporates a blend of past and future. I hope that WDW gets some new ones soon that are as cool looking as this but are still unique to WDW and incorporate the Lear Jet design somehow.
IMG_7360.jpg

krankenstein

I really like the DL monorails but I believe the paint job and design should stay at DL. That is how the original monorails looked, so it works out nice for them. At WDW, if we were to ever get new trains, I would hope that ours would maintain the mostly white with a color strip paint job with the nice interior like DL.

hokielutz

Well the trains can't work forever, so new trains will come... just don't know how long it will be.

But I really do like the color design of the DL trains. Very sleek.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Be jealous all you want.....
....and they do look nice
but blue is not yet allowed to carry passengers
and because they screwed up and didn't put AC in the new monorails, red only can operate on cooler days and with fewer than capacity in each car.

DisneyWall-E

:):)the new DL trains do look really good but I also think the WDW trains should keep their same color scheme as much as possible. Red is the Best!

C&D

I do admit that the new ones do look 'way cool' but the old ones still look pretty cutting edge too. Will welcome the new ones when they get there.

montyz81

Original Poster
They do, but they only push out like 4 or 5 inches. They do not slide down like they used to. Seems to be like it was poor planning. I am not sure what what the engineers were thinking of. No AC and windows that barely open with 15 people in there. Egads! Also, why did they reduce the car capacity by 10? The old ones sat 25 these cars seat 15. For such a great design, they really missed out on improving the functionality! This should be added to the list of things that make you go "HMMMMMM".

BTW: Do the Mark VI's have AC in them?

imamouse

Be jealous all you want.....
....and they do look nice
but blue is not yet allowed to carry passengers
and because they screwed up and didn't put AC in the new monorails, red only can operate on cooler days and with fewer than capacity in each car.

No AC? :eek: What a major mistake! I hope it is corrected soon (or at least in time for my Nov trip - not that it's all about me :lookaroun).

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
They do, but they only push out like 4 or 5 inches. They do not slide down like they used to. Seems to be like it was poor planning. I am not sure what what the engineers were thinking of. No AC and windows that barely open with 15 people in there. Egads! Also, why did they reduce the car capacity by 10? The old ones sat 25 these cars seat 15. For such a great design, they really missed out on improving the functionality! This should be added to the list of things that make you go "HMMMMMM".

BTW: Do the Mark VI's have AC in them?

No AC? :eek: What a major mistake! I hope it is corrected soon (or at least in time for my Nov trip - not that it's all about me :lookaroun).

As Montyz stated, the side windows open a little (restricted due to safety) and do not provide enought circulation. The quick retrofitted air dams on top to channel more air into red...better but still not enough. They still haven't decided what to do with blue.

...and Miss (not all about me) I doubt that they will be corrected by November, but it will be cooler so they will be operating. It's not like YOU will be the only one around in November....:lookaroun

krankenstein

I thought they were adding the roof scopes to the top of DL's new monorails to help circulate air from the outside into them. Of course it probably isn't much of a help during the middle of the summer.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I thought they were adding the roof scopes to the top of DL's new monorails to help circulate air from the outside into them. Of course it probably isn't much of a help during the middle of the summer.

Yes they did, and it helps a little when they are moving...but nothing when stopped, so no relief on the hot days.

TP2000

What??? There's no air conditioning on the new monorails? What were they thinking?!?!?!

Disneyland monorails have never had air conditioning. Ever. Disneyland isn't in hot and humid Florida. :cool:

The windows roll down, or at least they did. Now the windows pop out a bit but don't get good ventilation. WDI is working on vents or baffles on the windows that would provide better air flow and ventilation when the windows are popped open.

But Disneyland's monorail fleet has never had air conditioning, except in the nose and tail cones, since they were opened in 1959. The climate in Southern California is such that it just was never needed as long as the windows were rolled down.

The nose and tail cone air conditioning on the new trains works just fine. And once the window issue gets fixed, it will all be back to normal.

hpyhnt 1000

Hm. I can kind of understand the no A/C thing, since the Disneyland monorails never did have A/C to begin with. Still, would it have killed Disney to put them on? :veryconfu I mean, even if you don't need them all the time, at least put them there so in the event you do need them, they're available. :shrug:

And really, capacity went from 25 per car to 15 per car with these new VIIs? I gotta say, they really weren't thinking when they designed this one. :brick:

EDIT: Just did a check on Wikipedia (yeah, I know), and according to their numbers, the old Mark Vs has a capacity of 145 passengers, while the new Mark VIIs can carry 122. So, it might not be as drastic as subtracting 10 per car, but its still about a 16% decrease in capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom