I-95 and I-4 construction

DoctaPeppa

On one of the "Trip Report" threads I saw some comments made in passing about construction on I-95 and I-4. But on the Florida DOT web site (http://www11.myflorida.com/publicinformationoffice/construc/constmap/constmap.htm), for virtually all of the Interstate construction projects, they promise that lane closures will only occur at night.

Can anyone who lives in the area or who has recently travelled down this corridor please pass on some up-to-date advice about this ... e.g., is it better to travel at daytime/nighttime, weekend/weekday, etc.?

Also: when approaching Orlando from the north on I-4 on a weekday would you recommend to avoid downtown Orlando by taking the bypass toll road (no.417)?

Thank you!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
hmm.. I don't take 95 often, but I take 4 almost daily. The construction is generally after 9 or 10 at night and they still keep traffic moving.

For more info on I4, once you're in Orlando, call 511 from any phone. It's the I4 Information Hotline, and it's a free call

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by DoctaPeppa
On one of the "Trip Report" threads I saw some comments made in passing about construction on I-95 and I-4. But on the Florida DOT web site (http://www11.myflorida.com/publicinformationoffice/construc/constmap/constmap.htm), for virtually all of the Interstate construction projects, they promise that lane closures will only occur at night.

Can anyone who lives in the area or who has recently travelled down this corridor please pass on some up-to-date advice about this ... e.g., is it better to travel at daytime/nighttime, weekend/weekday, etc.?

Also: when approaching Orlando from the north on I-4 on a weekday would you recommend to avoid downtown Orlando by taking the bypass toll road (no.417)?

Thank you!

While this isnt all that recent, i drove that stretch in Mid March.

On I-95, there is some serious long-term construction going on in the Jacksonville area (North and South) as well as in Georgia. If you can deal with traffic below speed for 20-30 miles at a stretch, you can manage. It does seem to keep going on and on and on....

I-4 seemed to be perpetually under construction in the Orlando area and a total pain, but maybe the danteian impression was coupled with having to leave WDW and head North. But it didnt seem too bad....

As to what advice to give? It all depends on what you're used to, what you can tolerate and how long you've been on the road.

If you're driving 95 South for a significant period of time, I'd recommend taking it at night. NC, SC & Georgia are pretty hectic during the daylight hours and Florida is.... "under construction," to put it politely. (Why a state that is dependant on tourism for its economic viability is doing major, long-term construction on two of its main statewide arteries is beyond me)

When we drove down at night, it lessened the strain on the nerves to just cruise between 75-80 all the way down. Weekend/Weekday didnt seem to matter. The good news is that there are plenty of Waffle Houses along the route.

Including meals, stops, and finding a Wal-Mart in the bad suburbs of Richmond, VA to find a CD cleaning disc, it took us 11 hours to make it to Jacksonville from DC. Of course, i'm not traveling with kids, so that's an entirely different concern; we would switch drivers every few hours so someone could sleep. It depends on your situation and what you're willing to tolerate.

One word of caution, it took me about 2 days to recover from the drive down/back. You dont want to ruin your vacation from driving too much.

One other thing... if youre trip takes you through the DC area.... on I-95 expect the worst. Stopped traffic is normal on a <B>good</B> day.
Let me know if you have to go past this part of the world, i might be able to steer you around (some) of the bad parts.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
They are still doing work on the I-95/295 interchange in Jacksonville, and are actually closing sections at night, with traffic being detoured to local streets. It varies from day to day, with last minute cancellations of scheduled closings, so I can't really tell you when to avoid it. They recently changed the exit to 295 from 95 from a left hand to a right hand, so there is still a lot of confusion and last minute lane changing going on, especially among people who travelled it frequently, and automatically get into the "old" lane, then switch back (usually without warning!)when they realize their mistake.

Upvote 0

jaimjaim25

I drove from NJ to Disney last Tuesday (The 21st) Straight through!! It took us 17 hours.. We left at 2:45am and was at Port Orleans by 6:45pm. Which is great! There is alot of traffic on I-95, but it wasnt that bad. The worst traffic was in Jacksonville (we passed through at about 5pm.. RUSH HOUR! The other construction though... People were still going 75-80mph.. Not bad at all..

Upvote 0

Mary Ellen

Re: Re: I-95 and I-4 construction

Originally posted by PhotoDave219
, if youre trip takes you through the DC area.... on I-95 expect the worst. Stopped traffic is normal on a <B>good</B> day.
Let me know if you have to go past this part of the world, i might be able to steer you around (some) of the bad parts.

We will be traveling this route in July/August from CT to WDW. We have messed up on the loop with no construction and been lost for over an hour:hammer: Could you please post or e-mail, HICOMM@aol.com me a way around this? Much appreciated.:D :D

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

Well, navigating the beltway around DC is pretty simple for those headed on I-95 south. When you get to the beltway in Maryland, the road splits into I-95 (left two lanes, Stays in Maryland) and I-495 (right Two lanes, towards Virginia). Most travlers want to stake the left exit and stay on 95. You take that around, across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (expect delays) and cross into Virginia. About 5 miles into VA, you come on the exit for I-95 south, its on the right.

As for the traffic? It sucks on a good day because of the massive, 11 year construction project to "simplify" the 95 interchange in VA. Traffic conditions tend to vary based on conditions (rain will make things miserable) and the whatnot. Not suprisingly, the News/Traffic station (107.7/1500AM) is one of the higest rated stations in town. Traffic is usually pretty heavy all the way down to Fredricksburg.

Stopped traffic is pretty normal on the Virginia side and is extremly fustrating trying to navigate the I95/495/395 Mixing Bowl in Virginia. Of course, its comprable to some of the construction traffic i delt with in CT a few years back. I'd say that 95 North in Florida into Georgia was worse, simply because it seemed to go on forever. Once your past this mess, your done.

The other option you have to avoid a large chunk of this mess, is to cut over to US 301 in Maryland. You can do this by taking exits for Route 50, Route 4 or Route 5, all towards the east. You'd turn Right (south) on 301 and take that south and cross the potomac down by Fredricksburg and rejoin 95 there. (You'd definetly want to do that if the beltway is shutdown, which happens about once or twice a month)

Timing has a lot to do with it, Jamie sounds like she got through there before rush hour started, but the evening rush is far worse then the morning commute. Once again, its all that you feel you can deal with.

Hope that helps. Drop me a PM if you need to.

Upvote 0

DoctaPeppa

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the helpful tips.

I'm coming down I-81 from Canada. I've been warned to avoid the Baltimore/DC schmozzle if at all possible, so I was thinking of heading down I-81 all the way past Roanoke, then catching I-77 and I-26 thru Charlotte NC and Columbia SC before picking up I-95 and continuing to FL.

Any comments, good or bad, about this route?

Thanks again.
Docta P.

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

Well, i have I-81 tales too..... Watch for cops sitting in the medians at the bottom of mountains, especially in Maryland and just south of Roanoke in VA. (Virginia State Police has a fleet of new unmarked Chevys in addition to their Crown Vics, usually metallic blue or green) They are doing construction (or last i was there) south of Roanoke, in the Christiansburg area. And Pennsylvania is perpetually under construction, or so it seems.

And cops love to sit right at the 81/77 merge. Last time through i saw a couple of local sherrifs in Mustangs just sittin on 77, waitin.

Overall, 81 south is a much nicer, less stressful way then dealing with the eastern seaboard traffic. Plus passing the prison in Pennsylvania is worth a laugh or two....

Upvote 0

Figment1986

whats with these I-4 interchanges, where it deadends into 275 in tampa, (about 25 min away from me) they are redoing it and widening it, they never thought it would become malfunction junction back when they designed it and mbuilt it back in the 70s. it is completely messed up their, a few entrnaces and exits are closed and removed for this to happen. its cahose getting in and out some days for my dad.

Upvote 0

jaimjaim25

Actually, if you look on mapquest or another one of those map programs, they tell you exactly where the construction is.. IN DETAIL! I wish I kept the copy I had, but I can't remember the exact website I looked at.

Upvote 0

Super Duck

Areas that are under construction (live in jacksonville and went to orlando last week)

95 Starting north of jax, until 295 loop--widening

btw, if you run into traffic in jax, just take the 295 loop around, it is a bit longer, but is not very heavy traffic.

295 south of jax, intersection construction

95 Starting south of jax, near World Golf Village for 35 miles--widening--speed limit 60 all the time, strictly enforced.

95 in Daytona for about 2 or 3 miles, construction (near I4 jct)

4 at the St Johns River Bridge, they finally have the traffic on the new bridge going south (west), but not going east (north)

4 off and on through Orlando, widening and misc. There were cops all over the place a few weekends ago, pulling over tons of speeders.

The other way to go is to take 95 to 295 south in jax and exit to us 17 south. It is a little slower and seems more boring, but you avoid 95 and 4 until downtown orlando.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom