• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

I-75 Speed Limit Enforcement

Raineman

Original Poster
We have done the road trip from Ontario to WDW once before, 3 years ago. We will be undertaking our second trip this weekend.
How strictly are the speed limits enforced on I-75? Coming from Canada, you can get away with driving up to 20 km/h over the limit without attracting any police attention. Is there a similar "guideline" on the I-75 corridor? Does it vary from state-to-state? Would 5 mph over the limit be ok?
I want to make sure we don't get any speeding tickets during our travels, but I would like to shave a bit of time off our trip, and not anger any of the locals when we are holding them up while passing.

DisAl

Advertisement
There is no guideline. If you speed, you risk a ticket.
But I do understand your dilemma. If you try to drive the speed limit in Atlanta you will get run over or cause a gigantic traffic jam. (A few year ago a group of college students got on I-285 that surrounds Atlanta and drove the speed limit. They had traffic backed up for miles.) Sometimes you have to "go with the flow" even if it is over the speed limit just to keep from causing a wreck. That being said you could still get a ticket if law enforcement is looking for some reason to stop you such as cutting in and out of traffic etc.
My rule of thumb is to DO NOT PASS PEOPLE WHO ARE "GOING WITH THE FLOW". If everybody is already over the limit, you sure don't want to make yourself stand out in the crowd.
Don't forget that fines are DOUBLED in construction zones, and they usually enforce those more strictly than other areas. That comes from DOT workers getting killed by people speeding through areas where there were workers.
Bottom line is that speed limits are there for a reason - safety.

networkpro

Between Macon GA and the Florida Turnpike speed enforcement is pretty strict and theres a reason for it. Out of state drivers doing long distances are a hazard. Frequent accidents with tragic results occur regularly. Speed if you must, but in Georgia certified radar operators can ticket you for 1 mile per hour over the posted limit.

John park hopper

I know on I-95 in Georgia down around Brunswick I all ways see people getting tickets. I do 5mph above the posted speed limit and have never been stopped. People fly by me and more than one once I see some of these people pulled over down the road. I just smile to myself. Keep it no more than 5 above and you will be OK

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Between Macon GA and the Florida Turnpike speed enforcement is pretty strict and theres a reason for it. Out of state drivers doing long distances are a hazard. Frequent accidents with tragic results occur regularly. Speed if you must, but in Georgia certified radar operators can ticket you for 1 mile per hour over the posted limit.
Only state police using speed detection devices can issue a citation for such a low infraction.

"§ 40-14-8. When case may be made and conviction had
(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit."

Georgia has a number of laws restricting local governments due to the popularity of speed traps aimed at tourists traveling to and from Florida in the 1950s - 60s, particularly in the town of Ludowici.

Raineman

Original Poster
There is no guideline. If you speed, you risk a ticket.
But I do understand your dilemma. If you try to drive the speed limit in Atlanta you will get run over or cause a gigantic traffic jam. (A few year ago a group of college students got on I-285 that surrounds Atlanta and drove the speed limit. They had traffic backed up for miles.) Sometimes you have to "go with the flow" even if it is over the speed limit just to keep from causing a wreck. That being said you could still get a ticket if law enforcement is looking for some reason to stop you such as cutting in and out of traffic etc.
My rule of thumb is to DO NOT PASS PEOPLE WHO ARE "GOING WITH THE FLOW". If everybody is already over the limit, you sure don't want to make yourself stand out in the crowd.
Don't forget that fines are DOUBLED in construction zones, and they usually enforce those more strictly than other areas. That comes from DOT workers getting killed by people speeding through areas where there were workers.
Bottom line is that speed limits are there for a reason - safety.
The constructions zones, at least from my limited experience on I-75, can be horrible. Last time I was heading south through Cincinnati, I-75 was a huge construction zone, speed limit of 45 through alot of it, and people were cranking by me doing 70. It was a little intense. Even under normal road conditions, I was doing 72-73 in a 70, and people were constantly zooming by at 85-90. I always drive carefully, no weaving in and out of lanes, so I shouldn't be attracting any attention that way.
I know on I-95 mph in Georgia down around Brunswick I all ways see people getting tickets. I do 5mph above the posted speed limit and have never been stopped. People fly by me and more than one once I see some of these people pulled over down the road. I just smile to myself. Keep it no more than 5 above and you will be OK
That's what I was planning to do, so it sounds like 5 mph max over the limit should be a safe bet. Most drivers here in Canada are aware of the unwritten rule of no more than 20 km/hr over the limit on highways, and it is extremely rare to get pulled over at that speed.

The Mom

Premium Member
Just made the drive from Atlanta to North FL on I-75. Saw parked patrol cars every 25 miles or so between Macon and the FL border. Many more than usual. As others have mentioned, go with the flow. Although my husband once got a ticket because he was at the end of the "flow."

Lilofan

I know on I-95 mph in Georgia down around Brunswick I all ways see people getting tickets. I do 5mph above the posted speed limit and have never been stopped. People fly by me and more than one once I see some of these people pulled over down the road. I just smile to myself. Keep it no more than 5 above and you will be OK
Gotta love the 4 lane open road I-95 thru Georgia. One can easily do 90-100mph in clear open road but overweight red neck Sheriff Buford could be waiting around the bend... I-75, I see more Florida Highway patrol instead of local sheriffs in hidden speed traps. And interstate highways from Florida to points north are where the drugs and cash travel which law enforcement are attempting to look for.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Gotta love the 4 lane open road I-95 thru Georgia. One can easily do 90-100mph in clear open road but overweight red neck Sheriff Buford could be waiting around the bend...
In Georgia the local police are not allowed to hide. They must be visible for at least 500 feet.

DisAl

Gotta love the 4 lane open road I-95 thru Georgia. One can easily do 90-100mph in clear open road but overweight red neck Sheriff Buford could be waiting around the bend... I-75, I see more Florida Highway patrol instead of local sheriffs in hidden speed traps. And interstate highways from Florida to points north are where the drugs and cash travel which law enforcement are attempting to look for.
It is not a "speed trap" if you are driving 90 - 100 mph. If you are going that fast you should be taken to jail and your car impounded.
A few years ago three of my co-workers were killed when a driver on the other side of the interstate lost control of their car at a high rate of speed, crossed the median, and landed on top of their car killing all three instantlly.
I have no sympathy at all for fools who put other people at risk with their stupid actions.

Lilofan

It is not a "speed trap" if you are driving 90 - 100 mph. If you are going that fast you should be taken to jail and your car impounded.
A few years ago three of my co-workers were killed when a driver on the other side of the interstate lost control of their car at a high rate of speed, crossed the median, and landed on top of their car killing all three instantlly.
I have no sympathy at all for fools who put other people at risk with their stupid actions.
I agree however with vehicles nowadays having 280-400hp stock engines, I have seen exotic cars cruise at this speed but at least I can hear them coming with their loud exhausts coming up behind me. If you ever are in West Texas, Arizona or New Mexico, 90 mph is considered slow in the wide open interstate.

Top Bottom