Hyperion Wharf: any news?

go3epcot

Original Poster
Forgive me if this is noted somewhere, but I haven't seen any news, positive or negative, concerning movement on Hyperion Wharf. Are we anticipating an involved redesign or pronouncement of death? Just looking for an update from anyone in the know! Thanks...

Ignohippo

JT would tell you it's finished and has been a huge success, but the truth of the matter is that it's been cancelled. I haven't even seen anyone from Disney reference it in at least six months.

Last we heard, they were open to outside companies re-opening the Pleasure Island clubs but apparently there haven't been any takers (if there were, I'd think we would have seen some action by now).

WDW1974

HW is dead.

That is why the PI name has remained on signage and why company talking heads now talk about a reworking/reimagining of the area.

The truth is they have no clue what is going to happen, so it might as well be 2006 or 2009 or 2011.

None.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Forgive me if this is noted somewhere, but I haven't seen any news, positive or negative, concerning movement on Hyperion Wharf. Are we anticipating an involved redesign or pronouncement of death? Just looking for an update from anyone in the know! Thanks...

This question has been posted once every couple of weeks. It generates a handful of responses then fades into the ether.

Seems to be dead to me. No one seems to have even an inkling of insider knowledge on it, nor are there any rumors floating about regarding the area.

We are closing in on 5 full years since the closures, and still nothing. Craziness. That is a full 1/8 the life of the WDW resort.

paul436

We are closing in on 5 full years since the closures, and still nothing. Craziness. That is a full 1/8 the life of the WDW resort.

It's amazing that any company can sit on such a potentially highly valuable money making property of this sort for so long. Most companies wouldn't be able to do that and survive.

nor'easter

It's amazing that any company can sit on such a potentially highly valuable money making property of this sort for so long. Most companies wouldn't be able to do that and survive.

Most companies don't have fanboys and Disney Moms salivating over foamheads and having a "magical day" dressing their little girls as Toddlers and Tiaras dolls. Universal doesn't have that, so they have to invest in real attractions.

Slowjack

It's amazing that any company can sit on such a potentially highly valuable money making property of this sort for so long.
I'm not sure that's a valid complaint. Sure, the recent handling of Pleasure Island has been pretty inept. But how valuable is the property? The Marketplace existed for twenty years without P.I. or the West Side. P.I. went through a number of ticketing and pricing variations, and the period when it was successful only lasted a few years, at least to my recollections. I think it's likely that Downtown Disney as a whole is just overbuilt, and that far from Disney sitting on P.I., they can't get anyone interested in moving in.

ADP2

I wonder how much of it has to do with capital investment. With all of the other projects going on or in the hopper maybe HW had to take a back seat for a while. It maybe as simple as that.

71jason

I wonder how much of it has to do with capital investment. With all of the other projectd going on or in the hopper maybe HW had to take a back seat for a while. It maybe as simple as that.

Unlike other investments around property, HW would have resulted in an instant, easy-to-see revenue stream. Hard to say exactly how much revenue Little Mermaid will bring in by the end of the year, but Zach Divine or Silk Road would be paying rent from opening day. It seems far more likely that no 3rd party companies wanted in on HW, at least at the prices WDW wanted.

njDizFan

When this topic came up a few months ago, Steve was still pretty insistant that there is a plan and we should just wait.

I would be amazed if this still has any legs, just another debacle that got us fanboys all in a tizzy.

Steve, if you have any info please let us know.

cjkeating

I know Hyperion Wharf didn't get a great reaction because it wasn't the reopening of the clubs - and as someone who would really love the clubs to reopen as I had never been to them and feel like this part of adult nightlife is missing at WDW - I really wish they would just do something!!

Hyperion Wharf looked like a really vibrant and fun area that would have brought some energy to DTD which is very much lacking... really hope they announce something soon!

TP2000

I didn't think the plans looked that spectacular anyway. Maybe they are working on a better idea.

I agree. The Hyperion Wharf concept as Disney rolled it out in press release and pictures seemed just like your average Upscale Mall, Anycity USA.

I can think of several non-Disney malls here on the West Coast that are more unique with a better mix of offerings and entertainment than Hyperion Wharf offered.

Let's hope that the reason HW died is not because they couldn't get cheesy chain stores and cookie-cutter mall restaurants to sign a lease in the Great Recession, but instead because TDO went back to the drawing board and is coming up with something bolder and better and far more unique. You know, something worthy of the Vacation Kingdom of the World.

COProgressFan

I agree. The Hyperion Wharf concept as Disney rolled it out in press release and pictures seemed just like your average Upscale Mall, Anycity USA.

I can think of several non-Disney malls here on the West Coast that are more unique with a better mix of offerings and entertainment than Hyperion Wharf offered.

Let's hope that the reason HW died is not because they couldn't get cheesy chain stores and cookie-cutter mall restaurants to sign a lease in the Great Recession, but instead because TDO went back to the drawing board and is coming up with something bolder and better and far more unique. You know, something worthy of the Vacation Kingdom of the World.

Perhaps a "bold, new vision" for the area...:ROFLOL:

Jim Handy

Is it me or is this thread spinning?

I wonder how much of it has to do with capital investment. With all of the other projects going on or in the hopper maybe HW had to take a back seat for a while. It maybe as simple as that.

No.

Truth is, they messed up closing PI. They know it. And they're loosing money. They have entertainment, security and electric bills for PI with no revenue other than a few drink stands.

But instead of reopening what they have left, they carry on with an empty plot of land right in the middle of their shopping and entertainment district. There's been lots of ideas, but nobody wants to pull the trigger.

jjharvpro

I think that Hyperion Wharf is dead.. I'm thinking WDI/TDO sat back and thought -- 'What could we do that is better? What is the best step forward for DTD?'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom