Hybrid busses.

Greg34

If they are already manufacturing Hydrogen powered buses then why aren't they manufacturing hydrogen powered cars, furnaces, air conditioners etc, etc, etc? Anyone in the know, know? What is the holdup?

There starting to, here's one from Honda:
http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

transit Buses are typically maintained and fueled at the same location. This makes adding refueling stations simpler and more practical.

DisneyCane

If they are already manufacturing Hydrogen powered buses then why aren't they manufacturing hydrogen powered cars, furnaces, air conditioners etc, etc, etc? Anyone in the know, know? What is the holdup?

Quoting my reply earlier in the thread:
A hydrogen fleet would make no sense whatsoever. Unless they find a hole in the ground filled with hydrogen you have to PRODUCE the hydrogen. It is produced either by splitting water (which requires that electricity is produced by some other means) or reforming other fuels (which requires energy to do and the source fuel for the hydrogen). If hydrogen could be easily found or produced without using fossil fuels then we could use hydrogen as a fuel right now. You can burn hydrogen instead of gas in a modified internal combustion engine. You don't need fuel cell vehicles to use hydrogen (although they use the hydrogen more efficiently but cost too much due to platinum needed in the fuel cell).

ThumpersThought

As the owner of a hybrid for five years now, I'd like to dispell many of the myths being spread in this thread:

1. The term "Hybrid" does not tell you how it works; it tells you the make-up of the engine. A Hybrid is a conventional style vehicle with two or more power sources. Most common is gas or diesel and electric.
  2. Being a hybrid will give a vehicle efficiency. It does not automatically mean fuel efficiency. There are many hybrids that are more powerful than their conventional cousins that get the same fuel (gas/diesel) efficiency.
  3. A majority of hybrids do not need to be plugged in. A majority can't be plugged in. That said, see point 1.
  4. Myth: there's no efficiency at freeway speeds. I get some of my best charging out on the turnpike. Rarely do I get a full battery in the city, I always do on the freeway. You don't need to hit the brakes to charge (though they will give you a nice boost). In my case, I get 45 in the city, and just under 46 on the freeway. However, again referring to point 1, many hybrids do indeed do better in the city.
  5. Myth: the electric motor only works at low gear. Actually, it runs almost any time you accelerate. You will go from Charge or "neutral" to Assist. Doesn't matter if you're going 6 or 60. However, for hybrids that run "electric only", that is usually only at lower speeds.

DME

I'm a Prius owner...I've always wondered why Disney buses weren't more environmentally friendly. I would think anything they could do to not have the buses idle would be a good thing. They don't need power, the engine shuts off...

donnybisme33

i skipped a lot of the replys on this post because they were like lessons in fuel efficiency. back to the main topic though. i was in disney last week and they were running the wachovia bus from NYC, which was an electric hybrid, throughout DW. it came through key west multiple times and i dont believe it was actually picking up passengers. when i saw it i began to think that it seems like it would be beneficial to use all of the grease/cooking oil from the numerous restaurants throughout disney to run certain vehicles. you figure they have to get rid of it somehow and its of course cleaner burning than gas. Now i didnt do any research to see how it works and if its possible so please dont repost trying to correct my info, im just tossing the idea out there. happy holidays

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
Yeah! Down with free transportation!

:lookaroun

Sorry, couldn't resist.

What about bicycles? Lets ban vehicles on the WDW roadways and only permit bikes! Anyone?

:D
I think that within the campground buses should be banned. We should use bikes or golf carts to get to the outpost or settlement, then catch a bus or a boat to where we are going.

ImaYoyo

I think that within the campground buses should be banned. We should use bikes or golf carts to get to the outpost or settlement, then catch a bus or a boat to where we are going.
Understand what you're saying, but what about guests with small children or infants? NOT safe to do a bike or a cart. And guests with disabilities may not be able to ride a bike or get onto a cart. Just a thought...

Grumpy-Fan

Original Poster
Understand what you're saying, but what about guests with small children or infants? NOT safe to do a bike or a cart. And guests with disabilities may not be able to ride a bike or get onto a cart. Just a thought...
OK, then how about a bus for the disabled. If you eliminated most of the buses, that would make the roadways safer for the bikes and golfcarts. I`m all for it because my wife and I love to ride our bikes.

GymLeaderPhil

OK, then how about a bus for the disabled. If you eliminated most of the buses, that would make the roadways safer for the bikes and golfcarts. I`m all for it because my wife and I love to ride our bikes.
There would still be people riding the bus whether or not they or another person in their party are disabled. And I would love to see a Disney Bus Driver deem who is disabled and who is not - just like I count on them for all my news and information regarding the future of the company.

Could you imagine a Disney Bus with the words "Disabled" or "Special" on the LED screens too?

It's not going to happen, sorry. :wave:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Ban all the busses and issue each guest with a......
segway1.jpg

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

KingStefan

There starting to, here's one from Honda:
http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

transit Buses are typically maintained and fueled at the same location. This makes adding refueling stations simpler and more practical.

The main problem is that it is more expensive to run a vehicle on hydrogen than on gasoline/diesel/biofuel. Until cheaper hydrogen production is available, they will probably not be so popular.

The reason we hear so much about the busses, is that it is a cheap way for the manufacuring consortia to do research. They subsidize to make it attractive for the user, and then they don't have to pay someone to drive around aimlessly for no reason except to collect data. Win-win for the user and the vehicle and fuel manufacturers.

KingStefan

Designline is the manufacturer of the hybrid bus being used in FW. It is on tour to various places for testing. It came to WDW from NYC. After its trial here it is supposedly going to be shipped overseas. Don't know if will be part of the Olympics or not. The third picture down is the actual bus when it was in NYC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designline

Although Designline sells some busses in the US, DaimlerChrysler's Orion series, powered by the BAE Systems HybriDrive propulsion systems, is the largest seller in the US. With last year's orders, there will be 1,470 units in service or on order in the US and Canada.

This includes NYC Transit, which has 325 in service, and 500 more in production.

See http://www.eis.na.baesystems.com/platform_solutions/products_and_services/hybridrive/index.htm

By the way, they are also developing diesel-electric / hydrogen fuel-cell busses.

http://www.eis.na.baesystems.com/news_room/06_press/106-2006.htm

wishiwere@wdw

A hydrogen fleet would make no sense whatsoever. Unless they find a hole in the ground filled with hydrogen you have to PRODUCE the hydrogen. It is produced either by splitting water (which requires that electricity is produced by some other means) or reforming other fuels (which requires energy to do and the source fuel for the hydrogen). If hydrogen could be easily found or produced without using fossil fuels then we could use hydrogen as a fuel right now. You can burn hydrogen instead of gas in a modified internal combustion engine. You don't need fuel cell vehicles to use hydrogen (although they use the hydrogen more efficiently but cost too much due to platinum needed in the fuel cell).

Bottom line is that even if they could only get a 10% efficiency gain with hybrid busses they would save A LOT of money by using 10% less diesel fuel.

I enjoyed reading through much of this discussion. As somebody familiar with the setup of Hydrogen fuel cells, I feel as though I might be able to add some additional information. While I'll agree there really is no easy means to produce Hydrogen at this time without leveraging other fuels (aside from solar panels, wind, etc.), there is something to be said for having onsite fueling stations that utilize their own infrastructure to fuel their busses. At the current cost of gas, these alternatives are also looking more and more attractive. Take a look at http://avalence.com . They are also working with many of the major automotive corporations to get this rolling. This is all possible now. It is the initial investment, politics and many other factors preventing this from happening but the technology is already here.

I think it would be worth it for Disney to step up to the plate just for PR reasons alone. They used to be a leader in this sector and now they are falling way to far behind. In the end though, I guess it probably would be cheaper to just extend the monorail.:ROFLOL:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does anyone know how many busses are in the WDW fleet?
I am not sure how correct the figure I have is (after all it was a bus driver that told me) but I was told it was around 270 buses property wide. That was also from a conversation I had about 3 years ago so there is a good chance that that number is even higher now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom