Hurricane Wilma aimed at FL, Cat 5!

RogueHabit

I'm a little concerned here. My Brother is staying at All Star Movies until November 1st. I hope they will be safe there, or evacced.

drnilescrane

Catch 22 said:
I'm a little concerned here. My Brother is staying at All Star Movies until November 1st. I hope they will be safe there, or evacced.
They Will Be Fine, All WDW buildings can withstand 200kmph winds as part of Walt's E.P.C.O.T. building codes, and there is an onsite powerplant.

MiamiSpartan

We are also planning on coming up Sunday morning....now it looks as tho the storm could be with us most of the day Sunday. I've got my sister flying down from Chicago to meet us there...Could be challanging making this trip. A lot depends on if we have damage to our home after Wilma makes her pass at south Florida....
If no major damage, we're still planning on driving north...
There should be NO lines at the parks with all of this going on...That was the same story last year when Ivan was bearing down on the state....

brich

My flight leaves in 4 hours. We're prepairing to have fun, be safe and then have more fun. We've weathered hurricane's on the shores of New England and although they generally don't compare, we know to respect them. So we're bringing our money to help keep the economy rolling down there. Those on the coast, good luck. Stay safe everyone... I'm headin out!!:D

PhotoMom524

Good to hear you have a safe place. The room is still empty for anyone who needs it and wants to run away from FL. Make sure you check in with us here.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I just have to find a pet friendly place... hence why Atlanta is my choice right now

mpaul32001

What is WDW doing about this storm? Do ant cast members here have any info on what will be happening with the theme parks this weekend such as preperations and hours?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
This thing is really going to have a make a heck of a boomerang turn in order to effect Orlando.

Maria

DMC-12 said:
This thing is really going to have a make a heck of a boomerang turn in order to effect Orlando.
I agree... though I hope it turns around and goes to Florida... The South of Mexico, New Orleans and Alabama already have enough with Stan, Rita and Katrina!

SpongeScott

Maria said:
I agree... though I hope it turns around and goes to Florida... The South of Mexico, New Orleans and Alabama already have enough with Stan, Rita and Katrina!
how are you holding up down there? Looks like it's gonna be VERY rough on you.

Maria

SpongeScott said:
how are you holding up down there? Looks like it's gonna be VERY rough on you.
No kidding! It´s the biggest we have seen so far... freaking animal is moving so slowly... that´s the scary thing. Have you seen how big the eye is? 65 kms! The "clouds" around it (dunno how to explain it) are of more than 475 kms wide! huuuuge!
Hotels are evacuated in Cancun, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and the rest of the Mayan Riviera. We are expecting rains and storm winds where I live, but we are ready and the shelters in the villages of the state are ready too. Radio and tv keep telling we are on red alert... this season has already been too long! It has not been the longest, but the most productive and destructive!

SpongeScott

Maria said:
No kidding! It´s the biggest we have seen so far... freaking animal is moving so slowly... that´s the scary thing. Have you seen how big the eye is? 65 kms! The "clouds" around it (dunno how to explain it) are of more than 475 kms wide! huuuuge!
Hotels are evacuated in Cancun, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen and the rest of the Mayan Riviera. We are expecting rains and storm winds where I live, but we are ready and the shelters in the villages of the state are ready too. Radio and tv keep telling we are on red alert... this season has already been too long! It has not been the longest, but the most productive and destructive!
you stay safe! I've been thinking about you down there.

Bullredchaser

Disney usually only closes as the storm is passing through,it's the safest buildings in Florida to be in.When Rita was passing through South Florida I took a drive to Disney and spent the day at Epcot and Magic Kingdom to getaway from the storm and what awesome time I had.There was short lines everywhere and a nice stiff breeze outside.If the storm hits Orlando the employees stay underground and as soon as the storm passes they come out and clean up the shrubbery imediately.I know because last year one of the storms that hit Orlando at night was offshore from Tampa that morning and we where cooked up going stir crazy and decided to head to Disney (3 hr drive from Ft Lauderdale)about 5 hours after the storm had passed and while the grounds were not as tidy as they usually are we had a great time that day as well.

Maria

Bullredchaser said:
Disney usually only closes as the storm is passing through,it's the safest buildings in Florida to be in.When Rita was passing through South Florida I took a drive to Disney and spent the day at Epcot and Magic Kingdom to getaway from the storm and what awesome time I had.There was short lines everywhere and a nice stiff breeze outside.If the storm hits Orlando the employees stay underground and as soon as the storm passes they come out and clean up the shrubbery imediately.I know because last year one of the storms that hit Orlando at night was offshore from Tampa that morning and we where cooked up going stir crazy and decided to head to Disney (3 hr drive from Ft Lauderdale)about 5 hours after the storm had passed and while the grounds were not as tidy as they usually are we had a great time that day as well.
It´s the major´s call. If the emergency is declared, then the parks have to be closed and all the guests moved back to their hotels. On the first stage, transportation stops going out of the hotels and there are only buses from the parks to them. I remember this from when I worked in Epcot and the parks closed for the first time ever in 1999 for hurricane Floyd. ;)

blackerbys17

I agree. I always feel so guilty thinking, "God, I hope it doesn't come here" because I know that if it doesn't come to Miami, it will go somewhere else and though I don't want to get, I don't want anyone else to get it either. I guess we should all pray that it breaks up into at least a tropical storm so that any damage will be minimal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom