Hurricane Milton coming to FL

Starship824

In the Parks
No
We have our first report from someone inside MK. Only minor cosmetic damage to TBA...

View attachment 820061

;)
This Theater suffered only "Minor damage"
1000001876.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
New update from Walt Disney World as the parks prepare to reopen on Friday:

Last updated on Thursday, October 10, 2024 at 12:00 PM ET.

We’re grateful Walt Disney World Resort weathered the storm, and we are currently assessing the impacts to our property to prepare for reopening the theme parks, Disney Springs and possibly other areas on Friday, October 11. Our hearts are with our fellow Floridians who were impacted by this storm.

lazyboy97o

The cost is the issue. Undergrounding is very expensive (and still doesn't make it 100% immune to outages). The bottom line is that when they have to repair the overhead lines after storms it mostly gets paid for out of federal disaster relief funds that are subsidized by the whole country (I guess actually by borrowing more money).

Undergrounding to minimize outages during storms would have to be paid for by the customers of the utility. How much are most people willing to pay to avoid a few days of outages every few years?
They’ve already paid for it. It’s something that’s been promised over and over again as justification for rate hikes and then just doesn’t happen.

SoFloMagic

The cost is the issue. Undergrounding is very expensive (and still doesn't make it 100% immune to outages). The bottom line is that when they have to repair the overhead lines after storms it mostly gets paid for out of federal disaster relief funds that are subsidized by the whole country (I guess actually by borrowing more money).

Undergrounding to minimize outages during storms would have to be paid for by the customers of the utility. How much are most people willing to pay to avoid a few days of outages every few years?
KUA in Kissimmee has been undergrounding, and weathered the storm better than most of their competition. They have 90,000 customers and have less than 2,500 outages at the moment.

I'd say it's worth it and there are likely grants available as well.

Editing to add - they had 14,000 outages this morning. Undergrounding often allows for super quick restoration even if power is lost.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
KUA in Kissimmee has been undergrounding, and weathered the storm better than most of their competition. They have 90,000 customers and have less than 2,500 outages at the moment.

I'd say it's worth it and there are likely grants available as well.
It’s absolutely worth it…

But as Lazy points out…greed gets in the way.

When a utility doesn’t want to do something…they drag their feet and then use the standard “red tape!!” Excuse in response.

TomboyJanet

Disney soon:

We look forward to resuming normal operations as we welcome guests to all of our theme parks on Friday except for undesirable annual passholders who can come to Animal Kingdom and only Animal Kingdom.
That's not that bad Visiting Pandora after Ian was quite an experience to say the least Lots of toppled over critters and wayward space plants everywhere. It was like seeing another world after a space storm

Phonedave

On CNN a doctor was on advising on how much bacteria the floodwaters have and how it can wreck a person's digestive system if the person swallows the contaminated waters.
I work with somebody whos' mother lives on Bayshore Blvd. He just got back from helping her recover from Helene.

According to him, during the flooding the city turns off the pumps for the sanitary (i.e toilets) sewer system to protect the sewage plants. His mother had 2' of water in her house, but the real killer was that it pushed everything back up the showers and toilets.

He sent a note out to his team at work, and this is what he said

"It got about 2ft of water inside the first floor this time. The sewer treatment facility shuts down its pumps during events like this. As the storm surge rises over the streets and above toilet level the water pressure causes the sewer pipes to flow backwards, coming out of the toilets and shower drains back into the homes. So the flooding and damage that has to be cleaned up is not simply saltwater. The smell can't be conveyed in the photos of flooding disaster scenes."

So yea, don't swallow it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom