Hurricane Milton coming to FL

Squishy

We have our first report from someone inside MK. Only minor cosmetic damage to TBA...

View attachment 820061

;)
A bunch of tree debris has landed on splash mountain, hopefully it doesn't take too long to clean up :happy:
1728574793505.png

DisneyCane

It's not just branches, it's the bloody trees themselves. We have this discussion about trees and burying power lines every time a hurricane comes through tree loving Tallahassee, but estimates are it would cost close to a billion. And as utilities are provided by the City, never goes anywhere, as 30% of the property is owned by the state.

If Helene had kept course for Tallahassee....
The cost is the issue. Undergrounding is very expensive (and still doesn't make it 100% immune to outages). The bottom line is that when they have to repair the overhead lines after storms it mostly gets paid for out of federal disaster relief funds that are subsidized by the whole country (I guess actually by borrowing more money).

Undergrounding to minimize outages during storms would have to be paid for by the customers of the utility. How much are most people willing to pay to avoid a few days of outages every few years?

JMcMahonEsq

TomboyJanet

First off I'd like to say I hope everyone is ok. These things can be devastating and I hope the best for everyone who has had their lives uphanded by this storm.

Things like this are terrible, and can take away everything you love and even people you love. I just hope the minimum amount of damage possible happened I didn't turn on the news yet.

On an optimistic note. It was very empowering seeing Spaceship earth last night doing it's light show in the storm. It stood defiant as a strong beacon of optimism and unity as chaos surrounded it. This building that I've loved my whole life stands against horrible things and says "I'm going to stay bright and shiny, a light to inspire you even in darkest times." and I was moved to tears. Set against a backdrop of nostalgic Epcot favorite bgms, I fell asleep watching this lighthouse in the storm.

SSE.PNG

becon of hope.PNG
se.PNG
spaceearty.PNG

Purduevian

I'm guessing cleanup crew would prioritize MK and EPCOT over DHS and AK for the capacity? With how few people are probably actually at the resort, I'm guessing they could get away with just opening those two parks tomorrow and spend Friday cleaning up AK and DHS?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom