Hurricane Milton coming to FL

asianway

Many are left out in their various habitats. Keeping them in close quarters in their barns with the weather raging like it will would lead to panic and potential injuries to themselves or others. The animals instinctively hunker down much like they might in the wild.

Particularly young, old, or otherwise frail animals may be brought to their barn, as well as certain species.

ASE cast will ride out the storm at the parks and DAKL to support all the animals.
You can see many of the enclosures from Wildlife Express

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Can you or someone explain this to me? Why is it moving more east than expected?
You've got two Highs behind that cold front (the blue pennants) with central pressures of 1020 and 1017 millibars (mbs). Normal atmospheric pressure at sea level is 1013 mbs. The hurricane is sporting a central low pressure of 994 mbs. No joking, that's pretty deep, but with two highs with 7 and 4 mbs differential backed up by three more highs of 1018, 1026 and 1022 to the north and west, there's no way that hurricane is pushing its way northward any time soon. Plus, the clockwise spin of dry air off the high over Georgia is feeding into the face of the counterclockwise spin of the hurricane over the gulf, reducing the amount of moisture feeding into the bands and eye, which is like throwing sand into a fire or dropping control rods into a nuclear reactor.

I'm no meteorologist, but that's what it looks like to me.

Gringrinngghost

Code:
WTNT64 KNHC 082130
TCUAT4

Hurricane Milton Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL142024
430 PM CDT Tue Oct 08 2024

...AIRCRAFT MEASURES VERY LOW PRESSURE IN THE EYE OF MILTON...

Recent observations from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter
aircraft indicate the central pressure in the eye of Milton has
fallen to an estimated 905 mb (26.72 inches).  The aircraft
observations also indicate that the maximum sustained winds are
near 165 mph (270 km/h).

SUMMARY OF 430 PM CDT...2130 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...22.7N 87.4W
ABOUT 315 MI...510 KM WSW OF THE DRY TORTUGAS
ABOUT 475 MI...770 KM SW OF TAMPA FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH...270 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...ENE OR 75 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...905 MB...26.72 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Pasch/Berg/Hagen

muddyrivers

We just spoke to some friends of ours who live in the Orlando area and they’ve decided to book a room at one of the resorts rather than wait out whatever is coming at home. They said there were several there doing the same thing. Same is happening at Universal, lots of people on their subreddit saying locals are coming for rooms. Really telling when Orlando natives are this afraid of this. Wishing them all well and hopefully they will be able to return to intact homes.
I'm curious, do you know how much Disney charged them and where they stayed? I was wondering what the discounted hurricane rates were. At least, I HOPE Disney is discounting room rates for people trying to escape.

JoeCamel

You've got two Highs behind that cold front (the blue pennants) with central pressures of 1020 and 1017 millibars (mbs). Normal atmospheric pressure at sea level is 1013 mbs. The hurricane is sporting a central low pressure of 994 mbs. No joking, that's pretty deep, but with two highs with 7 and 4 mbs differential backed up by three more highs of 1018, 1026 and 1022 to the north and west, there's no way that hurricane is pushing its way northward any time soon. Plus, the clockwise spin of dry air off the high over Georgia is feeding into the face of the counterclockwise spin of the hurricane over the gulf, reducing the amount of moisture feeding into the bands and eye, which is like throwing sand into a fire or dropping control rods into a nuclear reactor.

I'm no meteorologist, but that's what it looks like to me.
One correction, 905 millibars now and it got as low as 897 yesterday

Lilofan

I'm curious, do you know how much Disney charged them and where they stayed? I was wondering what the discounted hurricane rates were. At least, I HOPE Disney is discounting room rates for people trying to escape.
I called just to check. The Disney reservations agent said there are no more resort rooms available at WDW from Oct 8-11. No more rooms at the inn.

cr3346

1728427072571.jpeg

DisDude33

I called just to check. The Disney reservations agent said there are no more resort rooms available at WDW from Oct 8-11. No more rooms at the inn.
Ironically I’m supposed to be checking into a Disney room on the 12th but I have my doubts about making that happen at this point with how bad this thing is looking.

Lilofan

Ironically I’m supposed to be checking into a Disney room on the 12th but I have my doubts about making that happen at this point with how bad this thing is looking.
If many are checking out late it makes the ones waiting for a room to wait longer to check in.

Mr. Sullivan

I wonder if they’re really actually all full or if they’re cutting off online and phone booking so that in person evacuees can get rooms when they arrive. People Magazine just posted a story about how a lot of people on the coasts tend to go toward the resort if they have to leave and what Disney’s hurricane accommodations are like.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The 630PM EDT map shows the high pressure pushing further south but the pressure dropping south east of the eye by 7 millibars (1013.25 millibar is sea level normal pressure). The low of 987 millibars is the equivalent of the normal pressure of the atmosphere at 718.5 feet above sea level. For those not in the know, nature abhors a vacuum so high pressure flows towards low pressure and rotational inertia of different directions has a canceling effect.

1728427794350.png

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The 630PM EDT map shows the high pressure pushing further south but the pressure dropping south east of the eye by 7 millibars (1013.25 millibar is sea level normal pressure). The low of 987 millibars is the equivalent of the normal pressure of the atmosphere at 718.5 feet above sea level. For those not in the know, nature abhors a vacuum so high pressure flows towards low pressure and rotational inertia of different directions has a canceling effect.

View attachment 819792

Does this make it stronger? Weaker? Movie it south?

You said for those not in the Know and Then continued to speak Greek 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom