Hurricane Matthew

21stamps

They are people and I didn't say they weren't, I was very clear is what I said and what I meant.

It's horrible that they had so many fatalities but just because Hati has 300+ deaths, mostly from areas where the avg home isn't much stronger than a canopy, you can't use that to try and gauge the strength of it or the amount of damage it will cause if it hits the state's.
This thread is the first time in my life that I have ever heard anyone suggest that our infrastructure and theirs could suffer similar consequences.
I want to believe that maybe they aren't thinking of the same Haiti as I am....?
And for those who think hurricanes are well, no big deal, here's an interesting map from NOAA:

View attachment 167734

My 6 year old is obsessed with the 1935 Hurricane. More accurately, the overseas railroad. I modified the story a bit (no people were on the train in my version..that can wait til later)...but he always asks about it. Every time there is rain or heavy winds he used to ask me if all of the trains were safe.

Last edited:

Disney-Trains

I feel like someone totally dropped the ball on the boxed meals. It's been reported elsewhere on the web that in 2004 the boxes were free to hotel guests (so many per room?). I bet someone said "oh we will need to have box meals" and someone new in f&b said "oh ok... We should charge $13" and that was that. It makes no sense to charge $13 for that box while other resorts were giving 30-50% off food.

kverdon

It would seem to me that it's not just an issue of staffing, but there's also a need to make sure that the areas they're re-opening to guests are safe. I manage a business in the Mid-Atlantic and following hurricanes or snowstorms here, it's not just a matter of staffing that determines when we can open. We also need to make sure there was no structural damage to the building that may create a liability for us. With the huge scale/footprint of each park, I imagine this is a huge reason why Disney Springs is open and not the parks at this point in time. (Although I'm sure staffing-wise, it makes more sense to try and open the smaller landscape of Springs as well.)

For the negative comments about Disney opening "a shopping mall" as opposed to the parks, this negativity is one of the reasons I lurk instead of post on this board. Not that Disney isn't often deserving of negative comments, but being negative about this? Makes no sense to me. They didn't have to open up anything.

Yes, I agree, if someone cannot understand the order of magnitude in the difference between opening up Disney Springs and one of the Theme Parks, Well there is just no getting through to them.... Glad they were able to get something open for the guests. I would not mind a stroll through Disney Springs and a meal after being cooped up on my room for close to 24 hours.

Eddie Garrison

I feel like someone totally dropped the ball on the boxed meals. It's been reported elsewhere on the web that in 2004 the boxes were free to hotel guests (so many per room?). I bet someone said "oh we will need to have box meals" and someone new in f&b said "oh ok... We should charge $13" and that was that. It makes no sense to charge $13 for that box while other resorts were giving 30-50% off food.

This is straight from my CM friends that are working at the resorts where these boxes were offered.

Full counter service meals were available at any time to any guest. If the guests complained, the resorts gave them the $12.00 box deal at no charge.

Tazer19

This is straight from my CM friends that are working at the resorts where these boxes were offered.

Full counter service meals were available at any time to any guest. If the guests complained, the resorts gave them the $12.00 box deal at no charge.

We're at OKW and they made it very clear through 2 phone messages that full counter was available if we weren't interested in the boxes. That was repeated time and again by CMs in person. The CMs bent over backwards last night and this morning for people, despite the conditions, worry and concern. We have received 9 update voicemails since yesterday at 12:30 PM.

I spent some time at the front desk today working on arrangements should our flight be cancelled. The front desk was amazing dealing with every type of attitude imaginable that came in. Most have been working since yesterday afternoon and are being more amazing than usual.

Eddie Garrison

We're at OKW and they made it very clear through 2 phone messages that full counter was available if we weren't interested in the boxes. That was repeated time and again by CMs in person. The CMs bent over backwards last night and this morning for people, despite the conditions, worry and concern. We have received 9 update voicemails since yesterday at 12:30 PM.

I spent some time at the front desk today working on arrangements should our flight be cancelled. The front desk was amazing dealing with every type of attitude imaginable that came in. Most have been working since yesterday afternoon and are being more amazing than usual.

And there you go.

At times, something posted online somewhere gets blown way out of proportion and gets legs even worse from those who are not there experiencing it first hand.

So glad they kept you updated and gave you options for dinning, dealing with what I am sure were less than pleased guests, etc.

I hope each of these CM's receives the notice they deserve. Thanks for sharing, Tazer19!

Glad to see Florida was spared from Matthew's worst. Still a disaster in parts of the state, but all in all a decent outcome for what could have been much worse. Now it is time for Georgians and South Carolinians to hunker down. Upon my last check, we may be facing the landfall that missed Fl.. Thankfully many folks have already made it inland.

Just an update regarding the areas north of Florida for those interested:

Since Wednesday- closures and evacuations have affected over a million people in the eastern parts of SC, as well as the coastal regions of Georgia. Many event centers, public schools, and universities have opened their doors as evacuee centers. We'll have to wait and see how things play out over the next 36 hours.

And of course, everyone keep Haiti in your thoughts and prayers, as they are faced with the largest humanitarian crisis since the quake. Death toll unfortunately sits at a staggering 800+

Remember that while the mountains divide and the oceans are wide it's a small world after all.

Stay safe out there.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot

This. This is what I expect to hear about Disney's service especially in times of emergency, 100% dedication to their guests.

What I don't understand is the inconsistency between resorts and reports from guests. I guess everyone's experience is different but at the end of the day I'm glad everyone is fine.

PhotoDave219

Would Matthew even qualify for this list since, I believe, it hasn't made landfall?

This storm is the "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" of hurricanes.

No. Landfall is the area of lowest central pressure crossing the land. Its semantics, yes, but thats the nomenclature.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!

I'm guessing that if this gets high enough up the food chain, something might roll downhill. That explanation doesn't really make it sound that good to me as a consumer. As a member of management I might loose my mind if that became public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom