Hurricane Matthew

21stamps

Let's just say that the Governor was not pleased.

I can imagine!!!!
BINGO. We live on a barrier island, and choose to stay to protect our house and property. When Sandy flooded our homes and the government closed access to the island, we were able to immediately gut our first floors so we did not incur more damage, because we were still on the island.

Granted Sandy was not a Cat 3 storm.....but we assess the situation based on forecasts and local knowledge, and will then decide to stay or leave.

I am glad the storm was not as fierce for everybody. But it did and will cause damage, and I hope it will be an easier recovery for all.

THIS!!! This what I have been saying in about 356,987,023 posts!!!!! I'm sure it is easy for people in other parts of the country to sit in judgement and disdain of those who do not evacuate. What they don't take a moment to think about is that it is YOUR home, YOUR property, and the decision to leave is not even a remotely easy one.

Depending on your level of preparation, on your willingness to take that "risk", your assessment of your own safety- sometimes the decision to stay makes the most sense.

If we make the decision to stay, we understand that we are on our own(and typically there are plenty of others close by who stayed as well), We do have to take responsibility for that decision, can't risk someone else's life.

Eddie Garrison

I just walked down to Sand Lake here in Dr. Phillips where we live. The wind is really whipping around on the water. A heavy rain band just came through so I retreated back to our condo.

No buildings to knock the wind down out there. It was still blowing pretty good over there. We're lucky, the winds are coming from that direction so our building is spared a others are beating the wind down before it gets to us.

No visible damage that I could see with our complex or surrounding buildings. Looks can obviously be deceiving of course. Just some smaller limbs & branches down. Nothing more to the eye that I could see with my little 20 minute walk around.

MOXOMUMD

CNN featured a local news channel broadcaster that was at WDW and confirmed that the parks WILL remain closed today. They had one shot on MSUSA facing the castle showing crews picking up small debris and something that looked like branches.

Last edited:

JennSmith

Especially those moved from Ft. Wilderness. ;)
Wow. Petty much? I mean seriously what the heck is the deal? I don't have to like the resort and STILL appreciate being safe. Another two things that are not mutually exclusive. Some of you people are seriously just the worst on here. Sorry. Sorry I didn't like the drippy gross stuff in our bathroom walls at All Star. Sorry I didn't like the fact that we checked in to full garbage cans, full from other people's garbage. Sorry I don't like the stained, fraying carpet that looks like there was a frat party in it. And last but not least sorry that I don't like the fact that I had to fight to get my price difference credited. I didn't care about anything else. I have stayed at values before but this room specifically is gross and I hate it. And I can STILL be much appreciative of the fact that we are safe and at WDW regardless of the situation. Disney has been awesome about everything, I just do not like the room. If all of that makes me a snob then so be it. But I'd rather be a snob than a trolling group of people that have comprehension problems that have nothing better to do with their lives than crap all over people just because they have a negative opinion about something (and again, for those of you with the comprehension issues, still appreciate a safe place to stay).

scpergj

Several friends in Orlando have dumped their porch furniture into the pool. Safest place for them.
Funny - I told a friend at work to do that with his pool furniture...he looked at me funny for a second and then told me that was a good idea. Wasn't my idea - we've been doing that since I was a kid when we had a storm heading our way. That way we could fit the cars in the garage.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Funny - I told a friend at work to do that with his pool furniture...he looked at me funny for a second and then told me that was a good idea. Wasn't my idea - we've been doing that since I was a kid when we had a storm heading our way. That way we could fit the cars in the garage.
Yep. Getting it out is not all that much fun, but it is the safest place for it.

Eddie Garrison

So there's no validity to WDWMagic's claim that they're trying to get something open?

I personally do not believe they would even think about it to be honest.

The wind and rain is still whipping around this area pretty good still at nearly 1:00 PM. It would not be a safe move to open anything where mass groups of people had the chance of injury.

I don't think anything, especially at the parks, will reopen until tomorrow.

21stamps

Wow. Petty much? I mean seriously what the heck is the deal? I don't have to like the resort and STILL appreciate being safe. Another two things that are not mutually exclusive. Some of you people are seriously just the worst on here. Sorry. Sorry I didn't like the drippy gross stuff in our bathroom walls at All Star. Sorry I didn't like the fact that we checked in to full garbage cans, full from other people's garbage. Sorry I don't like the stained, fraying carpet that looks like there was a frat party in it. And last but not least sorry that I don't like the fact that I had to fight to get my price difference credited. I didn't care about anything else. I have stayed at values before but this room specifically is gross and I hate it. And I can STILL be much appreciative of the fact that we are safe and at WDW regardless of the situation. Disney has been awesome about everything, I just do not like the room. If all of that makes me a snob then so be it. But I'd rather be a snob than a trolling group of people that have comprehension problems that have nothing better to do with their lives than crap all over people just because they have a negative opinion about something (and again, for those of you with the comprehension issues, still appreciate a safe place to stay).

Most in your shoes would understand, and feel the same. It's ok to be disappointed but know it's necessary at the same time. It's also ok to feel "annoyed" while appreciative. ;). I'm waiting to see a thread of people handing out WDW tickets and stays at the GF to the poor...there are quite a few Mother Teresa's here.

All it takes is for someone to actually read an entire comment, and comprehend it as a whole. Instead it's more fun to blow one thing completely out of proportion. Some people have twisted ideas of fun. Different strokes and all... :)

wdwfan22

CLOSURES, CANCELATIONS AND MORE (Updated October 7, 2016 at 12:30 PM ET)
  • All 4 Walt Disney World theme parks are closed through Friday, October 7, 2016. Theme parks are scheduled to open at 8:00 AM Saturday, October 8, 2016. Posted closure times remain the same.
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom Park will open for Extra Magic Hours at 7:00 AM ET on Saturday, October 8, 2016 for Resort Guests only.
  • EPCOT World Showcase will open at 11:00 AM on Saturday, October 8, 2016. Frozen Ever After will open at 8:00 AM on Saturday, October 8, 2016.
  • Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park is closed through Friday, October 7, 2016. Operating hours will resume as scheduled on Saturday, October 8, 2016.
  • Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park is closed through Friday, October 7, 2016. Operating hours will resume as scheduled on Saturday, October 8, 2016.
  • Disney Springs is closed through Friday, October 7, 2016. Operating hours will resume as scheduled on Saturday, October 8, 2016. Characters in Flight at Disney Springs is closed through Sunday, October 9, 2016.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom