Hurricane Matthew

GrumpyFan

So you have been through a near miss and not heard anyone complain about the mis-prediction? That is surprising to me.
No complaints about "nothing happening". Other things, sure, but pretty much everyone I know that left was happy to return home and find their house still standing, and to have power and water. Most said they probably wouldn't leave again because of the debacle it was, but still they weren't upset that nothing happened.

JohnD

Original Poster
We always stay about 95% prepared as even a good thunderstorm can ruin your weekend with a day long power outage.

When something like this happens we basically just top off the supplies and fill all of the vacant spaces in the freezer with gallon zip lock gags full of water.

About the only thing I would not mind adding to the arsenal is a generator.

My father has a generator in the carport. He now has a window A/C unit installed in the master bedroom plugged into it.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
We always stay about 95% prepared as even a good thunderstorm can ruin your weekend with a day long power outage.

When something like this happens we basically just top off the supplies and fill all of the vacant spaces in the freezer with gallon zip lock gags full of water.

About the only thing I would not mind adding to the arsenal is a generator.

This is why you should hang out at Home Depot with cash in your pocket;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My father has a generator in the carport. He now has a window A/C unit installed in the master bedroom plugged into it.
We rarely lose power where we are as all of out lines are underground. We occasionally get a flicker, but that is about it.

The only time we ever lost power for any period of time in the last 16 years was when a car crashed into the substation.

In this day and age I would be more inclined to buy a Tesla Power Wall vs a generator.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No complaints about "nothing happening". Other things, sure, but pretty much everyone I know that left was happy to return home and find their house still standing, and to have power and water. Most said they probably wouldn't leave again because of the debacle it was, but still they weren't upset that nothing happened.

Ok, it sounds like we are actually saying the same thing. I never meant to imply that people would be literally upset that there was no damage, deaths, etc. The original poster just said that there would be a lot of upset people on the news, and I agree that there will be people who were upset that authorities played it up to be more then it was, where in my opinion they should be thankful that they were warned about what was a real possibility.

JohnD

Original Poster
We rarely loose power where we are as all of out lines are underground. We occasionally get a flicker, but that is about it.

The only time we ever lost power for any period of time in the last 16 years was when a car crashed into the substation.

In this day and age I would be more inclined to buy a Tesla Power Wall vs a generator.

It's different in Tallahassee. "We" (not necessarily me) love our canopy city. All it takes is a Cat 1 storm to knock out power for a week. When it came to power restoration, Tallahassee was woefully unprepared.

oceanbreeze77

Matt Drudge takes the prize for accusing the government of exaggerating the threat. In a tweet, he actually accused the National Hurricane Center of making up the numbers in order to support the government's position on global warming. I don't wish ill on anyone, but I'm going to make an exception and this guy I'd like to see tied to a pillar of the pier at any Florida east coast beach as a Category 5 storm passes by. What I thought when I read his post was not printable....
darwanism will take care of it.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's different in Tallahassee. "We" (not necessarily me) love our canopy city. All it takes is a Cat 1 storm to knock out power for a week. When it came to power restoration, Tallahassee was woefully unprepared.
I can go a mile in almost any direction and run into the same thing.

My mom lived in a rather old area of Arlington and it was not uncommon for her to loose power for a day or two with something like this.

I think we went 4 days without power after the storm of the century in 1999.

21stamps

We rarely loose power where we are as all of out lines are underground. We occasionally get a flicker, but that is about it.

Wow you're lucky! I lost power every time there was even a tropical depression. Most of the times it was restored quickly. 15 days was the worst..and I hope to never experience that again.
I am so impressed by FPL right now. (I can't believe I'm actually saying that). Truly I am. They are on top of their game the last 24 hours. The power outages being reported are so much less than what they normally would be, some are also intentional,... And the way they have been working between bands- kudos to them.

JohnD

Original Poster
Wow you're lucky! I lost power every time there was even a tropical depression. Most of the times it was restored quickly. 15 days was the worst..and I hope to never experience that again.

I am so impressed by FPL right now. (I can't believe I'm actually saying that). Truly I am. They are on top of their game the last 24 hours. The power outages being reported are so much less than what they normally would be, some are also intentional,... And the way they have been working between bands- kudos to them.

Tallahassee's problem was a municipal-run utility and requesting assistance. I'll stop there.

21stamps

Tallahassee's problem was a municipal-run utility and requesting assistance. I'll stop there.

That stinks. You would think that living in the capital would have some benefits when it came to things like that!

I was "lucky" that I lived "downtown" in such a heavy tourist/business area, they always tried to get that area restored first. The people out west typically went without power for much longer than us.

surfsupdon

It is their right to stay.
It is not their right to receive help during a storm because of their decision to stay.

BINGO. We live on a barrier island, and choose to stay to protect our house and property. When Sandy flooded our homes and the government closed access to the island, we were able to immediately gut our first floors so we did not incur more damage, because we were still on the island.

Granted Sandy was not a Cat 3 storm.....but we assess the situation based on forecasts and local knowledge, and will then decide to stay or leave.

I am glad the storm was not as fierce for everybody. But it did and will cause damage, and I hope it will be an easier recovery for all.

JohnD

Original Poster
That stinks. You would think that living in the capital would have some benefits when it came to things like that!

I was "lucky" that I lived "downtown" in such a heavy tourist/business area, they always tried to get that area restored first. The people out west typically went without power for much longer than us.

Let's just say that the Governor was not pleased.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom