Hurricane Matthew

AEfx

Hey, no work or school tomorrow or Friday. This is a perfect night to be at the magic kingdom or epcot.

Honestly, would have been my first thought as well. It's the safest place in Orlando, and the crowds will likely be mitigated by the news

I know hurricanes freak folks out, but if I have to be anywhere near one, a Disney park would be the place I'd pick to ride it out.

Honestly, would have been my first thought as well. It's the safest place in Orlando, and the crowds will likely be mitigated by the news

I know hurricanes freak folks out, but if I have to be anywhere near one, a Disney park would be the place I'd pick to ride it out.

Agreed! I'm just wondering how Disney will handle things if things escalate

Minnie1976

You never know about a hurricane until the eye hits land. Being from the New Orleans area, I've been through many. I've seen them heading for New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast got the worse of it. Doesn't Disney have it's own power company?

Nubs70

Castaway Cayman looks like it is going to get whacked. All models.showing a choice between eye wall and NE quadrant.

You never know about a hurricane until the eye hits land. Being from the New Orleans area, I've been through many. I've seen them heading for New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast got the worse of it. Doesn't Disney have it's own power company?

I know they have a lot of on property solar panels/ general self sufficiency equipment.. but I believe they also tap into the orange county grid.

I was down there in '10 when a heavy storm hit central fl. We had just left Downtown Disney, but the water parks had been closed early, and our bus ran through typhoon lagoon to pick up some of the influx traffic...

It must have been a nightmare for Disney to work out. The power grid had gone out. Traffic lights were off, etc. It was a 3 hour bus ride. When we finally made it back to our resort, the power was out there too. Little food was left, rooms were dark. Didn't bother me -I was just happy to be at Disney. But that being said, I am excited and nervous to see how things play out with Matthew.

disney4life2008

You are on to something. I may head to the magic kingdom in the morning for a few hours. Eat lunch at caseys. I guess this is a benefit of living in Orlando lol

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I know they have a lot of on property solar panels/ general self sufficiency equipment.. but I believe they also tap into the orange county grid.

Look on Google Earth and you can see were the individual sub stations are for WDW, most of them are fed by overhead power lines. Most of the main hotel buildings most likely have emergency generators for critical system (Fire alarms, Fire Sprinkler Pumps, Emergency Lights, Partial Elevators, and food refrigeration equipment). Beyond that I'm not sure if the outlying buildings have secondary power sources. Let's put it this way, if they loose some of their high voltage feeders because of the storm, it may be quite a while before things come back up.

Ironically the monorails will probably be fully functional throughout. LOL

beertiki

Still here. Added another day because I doubt it would be safe to drive on Friday. For those that want to laugh at my reporting what the bus driver said, I make my own decisions based on what I think is good information. I only trust noaa, nws, Jeff masters, and levi. I am also the guy who packs a knife that can saw through a 2x4, waterproof flashlight, electrical tape, 2 multi tools, and paracord. Jeep was filled today, might buy a case of beer.

MerlinTheGoat

Can you fly into Tampa and take a rental over to WDW?
I've no concern regarding wdw. I live so close now that i can visit whenever i like (within 20 minutes). I'm concerned about my home getting wrecked or my life ended, I have a hotel booked in St Petersburg if i need to escape (if the storm turns that way i may have to go further north).

If you're asking for yourself though, I'm afraid i couldn't say. Flights are probably going to be difficult this week, and road traffic crazy. I'd stay away from Florida until this is over if you can. Better safe than sorry, it could be difficult if the worst happens and you end up stranded down here with a storm (or in the potential aftermath). WDW shouldn't even be on anyone's mind at the present, just focus on staying safe.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Reedy Creek Improvement District generates some power, but not enough to cover all of Walt Disney World.

JohnD

Original Poster
Doubtful, looks like the storm is going to be well out of the Orlando area by Saturday, so it will definitely be gone by Sunday. Some forecasts have it moving out Friday night! I will be furious if anything interrupts the final showing of my blessed MSEP :)

Unless the hurricane causes damage to MK which causes a delay in reopening. Otherwise, I agree that the timing of the last two shows is such that the hurricane will already be gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom