Hurricane Matthew

JohnD

Original Poster
We are here now..we were planning on leaving early Saturday morning...like 7am. Heading towards atlanta, Chattanooga, Lexington KY. Do you guys think we'll even be able to get out at that point? Also, if we leave tomorrow am, will we be able to get gas between here and there??? What would you guys do?

I would at least fill up on gas now while on property. And I mean now. There are three Speedways at WDW. Don't wait until check out day. I'm thinking one tank of gas would get you in Georgia, right? You should be fine after that.

https://goo.gl/maps/tKLSG1FhzrT2

Last edited:

bpiper

During our October 2004 trip I remember seeing lots of blue tarps on the roofs of houses on the way from the airport to WDW.. That year was active for Central Florida.. Had Frances in early September, then Ivan and Jeanne in late September. Only damage I remember seeing in the parks was at the Off Kilter stage. Jamie commented during their show that Ivan wreaked havoc on the roof to the stage. (the roof was only made from a tarp like material)

Hopefully Matthews' effects will be minimal as well...

View attachment 166980
We were at EPCOT the day that Charlie hit that night. Maintenance crews were running around taking down all the canvas awnings and clearing drains around the promenade. They had two guys up on a forklift trying to remove the canvas awning above the International gateway's entrance. They had no idea how to do it and were swearing up a blue streak... Very funny to watch. Learned a new word.

TP2000

I would at least fill up on gas now while on property. And I mean now. There are three Speedways at WDW. Don't wait until check out day. I'm thinking one tank of gas would get you in Georgia, right? You should be fine after that.

Bingo. I live in earthquake country in SoCal, and I have a high mileage vehicle in my garage that I never let get below 3/4 of a tank. That way I can always drive at least 400 miles away without worry. And in the trunk of that car I keep a tidy supply of food/water/clothes good for 72 mobile hours. I can't imagine having a family in hurricane country, with a well-publicized major hurricane bearing down on the region, and not having a full tank of gas and some supplies several days before the storm was due to arrive.

Not doing that as an adult with a family seems... not smart.

21stamps

We are here now..we were planning on leaving early Saturday morning...like 7am. Heading towards atlanta, Chattanooga, Lexington KY. Do you guys think we'll even be able to get out at that point? Also, if we leave tomorrow am, will we be able to get gas between here and there??? What would you guys do?
I would not leave now. Traffic will be crazy. Stay till Saturday and you will be going the opposite direction of the people who have evacuated. I 100% agree with @JohnD get gas before then.

ElvisMickey

I live and work in Lake Mary (30 miles North of WDW)...ran out for gas during lunch and there are already LONG lines forming at the pumps. I also saw on Twitter that several gas stations in the area have run out of gas already. Fill up while you can.

TP2000

I live and work in Lake Mary (30 miles North of WDW)...ran out for gas during lunch and there are already LONG lines forming at the pumps. I also saw on Twitter that several gas stations in the area have run out of gas already. Fill up while you can.

Fascinating. And these folks didn't fill up their tanks two days ago why? They think they live in Nebraska? Absolutely fascinating how some folks prepare, or don't prepare.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
For the folks up in the WDW area, now is the time to prepare if you haven't already. Get your supplies, fill up the tank, get cash out of the ATM, do what you feel is necessary. Do not wait until the 11th hour.

Even if Matthew doesn't hit as hard as expected, there is nothing wrong with being prepared. Also, please don't try and be a super hero and drive out in the storm. It puts not only you, but anyone else foolish enough to be out. in danger.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There were a number of stations here in Jax that were out of regular at 6 this morning.

Nubs70

TropicalTidbits.com has a lot of the computer models. Yes, including the GFS (the only model showing Matthew dramatically looping around and hitting Florida again). None of the other models show that. Will they come into agreement on that path? Who knows? Other models show it continuing up the East Coast.
Models other than GFS are beginning to show a loop but not as complete as the GFS.

21stamps

Bingo. I live in earthquake country in SoCal, and I have a high mileage vehicle in my garage that I never let get below 3/4 of a tank. That way I can always drive at least 400 miles away without worry. And in the trunk of that car I keep a tidy supply of food/water/clothes good for 72 mobile hours. I can't imagine having a family in hurricane country, with a well-publicized major hurricane bearing down on the region, and not having a full tank of gas and some supplies several days before the storm was due to arrive.

Not doing that as an adult with a family seems... not smart.
Oh but there's plenty of people who do it. No one wants to go wait in the insane fuel lines with cars and cars lined up down the street. So, they wait til after..and then get in a 4 hour line with a maximum imposed limit..pushing their car because it ran out of gas while waiting. Not smart, but it happens. I didn't fill up before Wilma, nor did I evacuate like I was supposed to. Ironically I did fill up for every other '04-'05 hurricane prior to that..and did evacuate for one of them..Jeanne maybe? Can't remember.,but I evacuated to Miami, which didn't really help all that much.lol

21stamps

Fascinating. And these folks didn't fill up their tanks two days ago why? They think they live in Nebraska? Absolutely fascinating how some folks prepare, or don't prepare.
The only thing I can say is that it's a little like "the little boy who cried wolf" story. When you prepare over and over and each time nothing major happens, you begin to feel like the same will happen again..doesn't mean you don't prepare at all..just maybe not as much as you should. Stock up on bottled water, food, batteries, etc..but if you have 1/4 tank you think you're fine until it passes. Unfortunately, that's not always the case depending on the level of damage.
Being from Florida, or living in Florida, the threat of a storm is not as dramatic as it seems on tv..or how it is perceived by someone in the Midwest. Board up if applicable, have your supplies, but the majority of people don't go into a panic. Sometimes they should be more worried. I think they will be prepared for Matthew. 2005 wasn't that long ago..

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My folks live in Jax. That's what they were telling me. Fortunately, my Dad filled up the Tahoe yesterday.
My wife and I were able to fill up this morning without much of a problem, but several of the people filling up next to me claimed that some of the large stations near me were out of regular.

JohnD

Original Poster
My wife and I were able to fill up this morning without much of a problem, but several of the people filling up next to me claimed that some of the large stations near me were out of regular.

I believe it. Just before Hermine arrrived on Thursday, 9/1, I was on my way home after an evening function the Wednesday before. I was almost home, saw the Circle K and immediately pulled in to fill up. The very next day, the Governor closed state offices at noon. It was pandemonium, including at gas stations. Glad I got gas the night before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom