Hurricane Matthew

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anybody know if they would let us go to the Halloween party on the Monday if the parks close Friday? I am supposed to come Friday early in morning from Canada to do mickey party at night then a convention sat. I could leave tues instead of mon but I don't wanna change any flights yet if they just give refunds.
If the event is completely cancelled, you will likely have a refund or a ticket to an alternative night or event.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I'm supposed to fly down tomorrow evening. Seems like Thursday might be a washout, but we'll see.

I was there in 2004 for hurricane Charley. Parks were closed the day the hurricane blew through (at least I think they were), but by the next day, all was fine.

asianway

We just got back yesterday from a three night cruise on the Dream. Matthew is a very strong Category 4 storm. And it will blow through the Bahamas...Castaway Cay is expected to get winds 90-110 mph, according to the report we read. I hope the CMs who permanently live on the island have a strong place to shelter or can be evacuated. I wouldn't want to be on that island with a Category 2 storm blowing through. We were on Castaway Cay Sunday and the monsoon started in the afternoon, with lightening hitting the island. We were trapped in our cabana for about an hour until they could come get us. And the island was flooding. The rain was so hard, it was difficult to see the island from our veranda once we got back onboard. Made for rocky return to Port Canaveral. Where it was pouring when we docked yesterday morning.

Latest reports have the entire Florida east coast in the cone. I think WDW will experience LOTS of rain and some winds. But unless it turns more westward, you should be okay.
Did you have Captain Henry?

JohnD

Original Poster
Watching this closely... my parents are going down for a wedding in Orlando. They were planning Universal on Thursday and the wedding is on Friday. Feel bad for the bride and groom, they must be going crazy!

Tropical storm winds are forecast for Thursday / Friday between 35 and 50 mph Thursday and between 40 and 60 mph Friday. Chance of rain 80% (says Weather Channel app).

mf1972

I'm supposed to fly down tomorrow evening. Seems like Thursday might be a washout, but we'll see.

I was there in 2004 for hurricane Charley. Parks were closed the day the hurricane blew through (at least I think they were), but by the next day, all was fine.
we were there for that. MK opened later in the afternoon for resort guests only. was half empty. was actually a lot of fun.

JohnD

Original Poster
Relevant forecasts for Thursday / Friday
image.png

image.png

drp4video

I was there for Charley as well. All parks were free to park guests so you did not have to use a ticket (we had AP's) the day of Charley because the parks closed at 1:00 p.m. the day Charley hit. What a traffic nightmare. Food courts were crazy. We ordered pizza's and stocked up on other snacks and fruit as I knew the food court (we were at All Star Music that trip), would close. All glass windows, duh. Lots of people were not as prepared with respect as to food. About 6 p.m. they were handing out chips outside the closed food court and some people were very outraged that the court was closed (hey CM's needed to get out of Dodge and go home!) Disney was great at keeping us informed about safety and what to do. (food court opened at 11:00 p.m. with cold items as Charley went through a little at 9:00 p,m..we were actually notified with a phone call). The next day all parks were open except AK. That remained closed for about 2 days. We never lost power (all power is underground, and people from Orlando who did lose power came to stay at Disney...we met quite a few). Damage consisted mostly of downed branches and signs and plant debris all around. It was cleaned up pretty quickly. (we did go to Universal and on the way saw lots of downed trees and blown off roofs). IT was pretty scary (we were on the top floor and hid in the bathroom as it is the only enclosed room, but the noise as it went overhead was unreal). And Disney was awesome.

cursivesailor

As someone who went through Katrina, anything Cat 2 and above I get out of dodge. Even the last storm that hit NOLA in 2012 we were without power for 11 days and that came ashore only as a TS. My elderly dog got heat stroke and had to be rushed to the vet to get IV fluids. Even if the destruction isnt terrible, just being without power can be miserable.

Good luck to everyone on the east coast. I'm not a pray-er, but I am thinking happy thoughts for yall!

rct247

It appears the worst will take place between 11pm and 5am Thursday into Friday. This may be good news for the parks as it may have little impact on operations for Guests. It still wouldn't surprise me if they consider closing Not-So-Scary early on Thursday night. Rain bands and high winds could and mostly likely would affect parade and possibly fireworks for that party and with the amount of temporary inflatable treat signage and queues, they may need to take these down sooner or not put them up at all.

In a worst case scenario, my guess is that Magic Kingdom would simply close at 7pm as scheduled and offer raincheck/refunds for party Guests on Thursday evening. Other parks would close as scheduled. Epcot closes at 9pm, with Food & Wine booths possibly closing early to prepare for incoming weather. DHS closes at 6pm giving them plenty of time to ensure construction work walls are ok to weather the storm. DAK closes at 8:30pm giving time to prepare animals. The next morning, the parks will most likely open on time. If conditions are worse or clean up is necessary, extra magic hours in the morning at Magic Kingdom could be canceled, but 8 and 9am should look good except some wind and rain.

This is all just a guess based on the current models.

21stamps

I was there for Charley as well. All parks were free to park guests so you did not have to use a ticket (we had AP's) the day of Charley because the parks closed at 1:00 p.m. the day Charley hit. What a traffic nightmare. Food courts were crazy. We ordered pizza's and stocked up on other snacks and fruit as I knew the food court (we were at All Star Music that trip), would close. All glass windows, duh. Lots of people were not as prepared with respect as to food. About 6 p.m. they were handing out chips outside the closed food court and some people were very outraged that the court was closed (hey CM's needed to get out of Dodge and go home!) Disney was great at keeping us informed about safety and what to do. (food court opened at 11:00 p.m. with cold items as Charley went through a little at 9:00 p,m..we were actually notified with a phone call). The next day all parks were open except AK. That remained closed for about 2 days. We never lost power (all power is underground, and people from Orlando who did lose power came to stay at Disney...we met quite a few). Damage consisted mostly of downed branches and signs and plant debris all around. It was cleaned up pretty quickly. (we did go to Universal and on the way saw lots of downed trees and blown off roofs). IT was pretty scary (we were on the top floor and hid in the bathroom as it is the only enclosed room, but the noise as it went overhead was unreal). And Disney was awesome.
This is the difference between a tourist and a Floridian.

We're idiots and sit on our balconies til the last possible minute.. And then inside watching through our floor to ceiling glass (example Me- staying in my condo in an evac zone) as it passes by...lol

Unfortunately though, there are plenty of Floridians who also do not prepare for a food, water, or power outage. These are the people you see on tv complaining about their horrible governor. Because ya know, several days of warnings aren't enough...
The hurricane will not extend over the entire peninsula unless it moves back to the west.
Yep.

I'm betting on the side of you guys will all be fine, and the parks won't close. :). Bring your parkas and have a wonderful time!!

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

From the OS
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...disney-universal-seaworld-20161004-story.html
Orlando theme parks keep close eye on Mathew.

"Disney, Universal and SeaWorld allow travelers to cancel or reschedule vacations booked through the resorts in the event of a hurricane warning. Universal and Disney unveiled the policies in 2006, saying they had already allowed cancellations but were making the practice official."

In my personal opinion if it hits, this not only will be bad for the damage and possible loss of life, but tourism too. I have family in Miami and Orlando, and will hopefully be attending the Halloween Party at MK this Friday. Hopefully Mathew doesn't but if it does this is sure to be crazy for locals, tourists and companies. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best!

wdwgreek

I was there during Charlie, granted I was like 12 years old. That said I have tickets for MNSSH party Friday night and am flying into Orlando Thursday night! Here is hoping the party Friday night won't be canceled/ my flight lands!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom