Hurricane Irma

Her1215

iirc there was one of them at Epcot a few pages back
My trip is scheduled for this Saturday. Last year, I went immediately after Hermine. (I was without power when I left. Easy decision!)

My trip is schedule for this Saturday to WDW. Do you believe everything will be up and running by then. Since u have prior experience. It's looking like orlando is gonna get some of the worst parts of storm.

JohnD

Original Poster
My trip is schedule for this Saturday to WDW. Do you believe everything will be up and running by then. Since u have prior experience. It's looking like orlando is gonna get some of the worst parts of storm.

I don't know. Last year Hermine came directly up the Gulf with a direct hit to Florida's Big Band and Tallahassee. Orlando got rain bands but that was about it. This time Irma tracked directly up the Florida west coast with a much greater impact on the Orlando area.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

11 PM Update.

Starting to go a little westward again as the models were predicting, but, still further east than expected. Looks like WDW might get sustained hurricane winds, though, still possible for sustained tropical winds with hurricane gusts.

upload_2017-9-10_23-39-12.png

Power: Florida is 51% power outage. Orange county is 42% outage.

https://poweroutage.us/Area/State/Florida

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Generally speaking local meteorologists are more knowledgeable during these type of events. I haven't turned on TWC once during this event, I trust Tom Terry and Co over the celebrity weather folks on TWC
WDBO is getting me through this. You stay safe along with my other fellow Central Floridians. We will make it through this just fine.

IanDLBZF

Just saw this on Twitter for Polk County. Stay safe, folks. Starting to pick up here now, but nothing like Florida.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/907086548151275520
Saw on the NWS website too! Text of the alert follows bellow:
BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Extreme Wind Warning
National Weather Service Tampa Bay Area Ruskin FL
1114 PM EDT SUN SEP 10 2017

The National Weather Service in Ruskin has issued a

* Extreme Wind Warning for...
Polk County in central Florida...

* Until 1245 AM EDT

* At 1111 PM EDT, National Weather Service Doppler radar and
emergency management in Hardee County indicated a core of very
strong winds, associated with the eyewall of Hurricane Irma that
were moving northward into Polk County. Wind gusts greater than
100 mph are possible across Polk County through 1230 AM. This is
an dangerous and potentially life-threatening situation for those
outdoors!

* Locations impacted include...
Lakeland, Winter Haven, Haines City, Bartow, Lake Wales,
Auburndale, Fussels Corner, Combee Settlement, Lakeland Linder
Airport, Medulla, Jan Phyl Village, Poinciana, Fort Meade, Lake
Alfred, Crooked Lake Park, Mulberry, Dundee, Frostproof, Davenport
and Eagle Lake.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Treat these imminent extreme winds as if a tornado
was approaching and move immediately to the safe room in your
shelter. Take action now to protect your life!
LegoLand, Winter Haven, Haines City, much of Polk County is gonna get hit pretty hard, as may very well be the case here in Lake County (where I am at now) and perhaps Sumter County as well.

Sped2424

11 PM Update.

Starting to go a little westward again as the models were predicting, but, still further east than expected. Looks like WDW might get sustained hurricane winds, though, still possible for sustained tropical winds with hurricane gusts.

View attachment 228359

Power: Florida is 51% power outage. Orange county is 42% outage.

https://poweroutage.us/Area/State/Florida
Amazingly I have power but man are the winds scary outside. UCF area here seems to have power! For now..

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually, landline phones do have the same 911 requirement. If a landline phone is still connected to the telephone network and has a connection it is required to be able to dial 911 even if the phone has no other service.

I know for a fact we have to pay for live phone service at our facilities... even tho the phone is only there for 911 emergencies. We could save a ton of money if we didn't have to :). The phone company has no obligation to keep a phone line terminated. (This is different from being barred from disconnecting people due to none payment)

Looks like regional regulations can differ for landlines - https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...bout-911-and-disconnected-landlines/index.htm

While the mobile phone requirement is a federal one through the FCC and applies everywhere

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I believe I've called 911 on a smartphone without a sim. And when you don't have a sim inserted, a message usually displays saying "emergency calls only".

Yes, the requirement is the network must allow it... I was thinking some of the older phones would basically lock out without a sim... before we had cool smartphones :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom