Hurricane Irma

bclane

If you have friends or family who evacuated from Monroe County-

It is closed until further notice. To residents and to tourists.

@bclane , Have you heard from your friends yet?
I didn't but my brother did. He told me that they are fine...at least the folks we were personally most worried about. What a relief that was! The other fantastic news is that I'm hearing from friends (who grew up in the lower Keys that more people evacuated than some of the reports had suggested. I hope that's true because just hearing that is making me feel a lot better. Thanks for asking. :)

21stamps

and @JimW
This is from yesterday afternoon 2pm, which seem to show Naples landfall....although on tv yesterday they kept talking about Tampa.
I'm not a meteorologist so did not post it but IMO here is some evidence that the models have had some accuracy. View attachment 228328

I thought it was predicted as Keys-Naples-Tampa for at least the past day and a half.

The only good news if The eye goes up the center of the state- Irma will continue to weaken.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sarasota bay has been draining and many manatees being Stranded in knee high mud.
People out rescuing them by putting them as best as possible in tarps and lugging them out Into deeper waters.

God bless them for doing that to these beautiful creatures that need help

Kudos to them for doing that. Manatees weigh a lot and are completely helpless on land.

Ismael Flores

The
and @JimW
This is from yesterday afternoon 2pm, which seem to show Naples landfall....although on tv yesterday they kept talking about Tampa.
I'm not a meteorologist so did not post it but IMO here is some evidence that the models have had some accuracy. View attachment 228328
models have been doing a great job in following this storm. The meteorologist the have said though that it is not 100 percent and that is why the detailed projections showed over a dozen paths because this storm has been jumping around and was traveling at a slow pace

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, the recent past was a more northerly route, but the supposedly best model, the European, still has it going off more westerly. I guess we'll see if it's right real soon. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/05/us/hurricane-irma-map.html

upload_2017-9-10_21-58-22.png

upload_2017-9-10_21-59-27.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
WDW keeps the guest entertainment going.

That's so great to see. Anything to keep guests, especially the kids, distracted from what's going on outside.

What resort is that? I don't recognize the lobby.

MerlinTheGoat

Quick tip not everyone knows, but it's possible to reach 911 even if you don't have phone service but still have a phone. Even a cell phone without service or even missing a sim card will probably still connect to 911. Dunno about landlines, you can try plugging one into the phone line and try it.

Ismael Flores

To all you Florida folks good luck. I have been glued to the tv all day. As anyone heard anything about the Keys? No of the major new stations have said anything other then the county is shut down.
Several of the key island were devastated by surge especially those just west of where the eye hit.

21stamps

I didn't but my brother did. He told me that they are fine...at least the folks we were personally most worried about. What a relief that was! The other fantastic news is that I'm hearing from friends (who grew up in the lower Keys that more people evacuated than some of the reports had suggested. I hope that's true because just hearing that is making me feel a lot better. Thanks for asking. :)

Oh that's good to hear!

I know a lot of us, myself included, were bashing people who stayed. But I spoke to a friend earlier.. born Conch, no longer lives in the Keys or Florida, but her entire family and many friends are still in KW. Here was her response to my question about people who stayed..

IMG_4241.JPG

It offers a different perspective, and I'm thinking that your friends probably share the same sentiments as the people referenced in her post. Keys Folks really are a different breed, but they are some of the best that exist.

IMG_4237.jpg

smp2k6

This is where I have looked online for the most part. Shows NHC forecast and some models.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#11L

This site has the best daily video updates and forecast models available. I've learned more about hurricanes than I thought I ever would here. He gives the best overviews with none of the "breathless" reporting you hear on the weather channels. Speaking of which, why do weather reporters stand in arm's way in a storm and report? We can't hear them. They can't here the newscasters. Film through a window for God's sake. And while they can barely stand safely, they tell us it's windy, raining hard and flooding. You think? :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Quick tip not everyone knows, but it's possible to reach 911 even if you don't have phone service but still have a phone. Even a cell phone without service or even missing a sim card will probably still connect to 911. Dunno about landlines, you can try plugging one into the phone line and try it.

No, once the landline phone lines are down, they're dead. But unlike a cell phone, power comes thru the phone line, so your phone works even without power - but you need a corded phone. Which is why I'm a dinosaur and still have a landline. That, and 911.

flynnibus

Premium Member
May I ask why might tornadoes worry you more than ones in the daylight? Is it simply the lack of natural light, etc? Just curious. Hope you don't mind me asking.

Tornados are extremely localized... literally hundreds of feet can be the difference between nothing and total destruction. It's also hard to tell if it's actually happening. So seeing the funnel is huge... at night you lose all that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom