Hurricane Irma

Ismael Flores

Miami Harold reporting of Florida keys

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172503266.html

A section of the article
"But all in all, many in Key West seemed relieved that the damage from a Category 4 Irma was not much, much worse. “It’s not as bad as we thought,” said Robert Phillips. “It’s just trees and foliage and cars.”

That wasn’t the case across the rest of the 110-mile island chain. In the Middle and Upper Keys — on the more savage right side of Irma’s 130-mph winds — the damage and storm surge appeared far more severe. Monroe County emergency managers hinted that they feared there could be fatalities. Emergency Management Director Martin Senterfitt, calling the destruction a looming “humanitarian crisis,” said a huge airborne relief mission mounted by the Air Force and Air National Guard was already in the works.

Among the services coming to the Keys are “disaster mortuary teams,” he told a conference call on Sunday afternoon."

G00fyDad

Parking Services needs to ticket every single car. I can't believe Thrashed would approve of them doing that.

If you read the article they apparently had permission to park their cars there due to some "relationship" between the school and the dealership. ???? Whatever that means. I am surprised their is not still some form of "damage" to the cars. :D

5thGenTexan

Do you have a link? It's very difficult to find out any info right now. I haven't seen any major stations talking about it.. but I'm switching between all of them, so could miss it in passing.

Got this repost from the Irish Kevin's Facebook page. From a county commissioner. Posted earlier today. I understand Irish Kevin's had no water inside, or at least what I saw earlier this afternoon.

County Commissioner Heather Carruthers is reporting the following:

Just got off an emergency management call and would like to share the following:
- The surge ...should start receding shortly.
- Snake Creek Bridge is NOT OUT. Not sure if the video circulating is an optical illusion or doctored, but we have actually had people on the bridge since the storm.
- Teams will be inspecting the Seven Mile Bridge shortly.
- There may be hundreds or even thousands of boats that have broken loose in nearshore waters. Buoys, markers and other debris will make boating extremely dangerous. Unless you want to lose a prop, DO NOT TAKE A BOAT INTO THE KEYS until it is deemed safe.
- If you evacuated, please do not attempt to return to the Keys until you receive a message that it is safe to do so. There is no water, electricity or medical support at this time.
- Emergency supplies should begin coming in to Marathon (the hardest hit area) as early as midnight tonight. No commercial flights for the time being

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No duh - I was talking about the mobile

The problem with landlines is nearly everyone has wireless phones or advanced phones not a traditional wired phone even tho they have landline service :)

Sorry, misread your post.

I have a cordless phone and a cheap corded phone just for situations like this.

JohnD

Original Poster
Anyone who is local and hasn't already, it's a good idea to download the following apps for local radio stations. News 96.5 has been great to listen too. They are giving all the details, staying positive but informative. Another app is for radio station 92.3. Also, a good app to have is OCL alerts for Orange County alerts. I know it's late to share these, but I've been using them today and they are invaluable. Apple/Android versions available. Also, for those not in the area, this is good way to keep posted on what's happening in the area.

http://www.news965.com/
http://www.k923orlando.com/
http://www.orangecountyfl.net/Home/NewslettersAlerts/OCFLAlert.aspx#.WbXys8iGOHt

I'm so old fashioned. I bought AA batteries for my radio.

bclane

Oh that's good to hear!

I know a lot of us, myself included, were bashing people who stayed. But I spoke to a friend earlier.. born Conch, no longer lives in the Keys or Florida, but her entire family and many friends are still in KW. Here was her response to my question about people who stayed..

View attachment 228349

It offers a different perspective, and I'm thinking that your friends probably share the same sentiments as the people referenced in her post. Keys Folks really are a different breed, but they are some of the best that exist.

View attachment 228351
They are a different breed of people that's for sure, and I do love them. I grew up in Miami but spent most weekends and just about every vacation/summer in our place on Cudjoe (both of my parents were teachers so it was a lot of time down there lol!). I love the Keys and the people down there but they can really get me angry when they are so dang stubborn about storms. I do respect the attitude though of wanting to immediately rebuild the community. Thanks for sharing your friends message.

21stamps

Miami Harold reporting of Florida keys

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172503266.html

A section of the article
"But all in all, many in Key West seemed relieved that the damage from a Category 4 Irma was not much, much worse. “It’s not as bad as we thought,” said Robert Phillips. “It’s just trees and foliage and cars.”

That wasn’t the case across the rest of the 110-mile island chain. In the Middle and Upper Keys — on the more savage right side of Irma’s 130-mph winds — the damage and storm surge appeared far more severe. Monroe County emergency managers hinted that they feared there could be fatalities. Emergency Management Director Martin Senterfitt, calling the destruction a looming “humanitarian crisis,” said a huge airborne relief mission mounted by the Air Force and Air National Guard was already in the works.

Among the services coming to the Keys are “disaster mortuary teams,” he told a conference call on Sunday afternoon."

Wow. That article. Absolutely heartbreaking. :(

Got this repost from the Irish Kevin's Facebook page. From a county commissioner. Posted earlier today. I understand Irish Kevin's had no water inside, or at least what I saw earlier this afternoon.

County Commissioner Heather Carruthers is reporting the following:

Just got off an emergency management call and would like to share the following:
- The surge ...should start receding shortly.
- Snake Creek Bridge is NOT OUT. Not sure if the video circulating is an optical illusion or doctored, but we have actually had people on the bridge since the storm.
- Teams will be inspecting the Seven Mile Bridge shortly.
- There may be hundreds or even thousands of boats that have broken loose in nearshore waters. Buoys, markers and other debris will make boating extremely dangerous. Unless you want to lose a prop, DO NOT TAKE A BOAT INTO THE KEYS until it is deemed safe.
- If you evacuated, please do not attempt to return to the Keys until you receive a message that it is safe to do so. There is no water, electricity or medical support at this time.
- Emergency supplies should begin coming in to Marathon (the hardest hit area) as early as midnight tonight. No commercial flights for the time being

Thank you.

rocketraccoon

Well, our house lost power about two hours north of Orlando. Worst of it will hit in a few hours. We have a webcam and our router on battery backup (phone lines still work at least!) so we can see inside for the next few hours, but lights and such are out. Power outage percentage keeps worryingly climbing. Went from 18% to 27% real quick. Here's hoping it won't take weeks to get power back to our neck of the woods.

DisAl

Landlines don't have the 911 requirement that mobile phones do. I don't think they will work without a sim. But will work with a non active sim
Actually, landline phones do have the same 911 requirement. If a landline phone is still connected to the telephone network and has a connection it is required to be able to dial 911 even if the phone has no other service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom