Hurricane Irma

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Up to 44% of Florida without power. Many of the southern and coastal counties are at 50% - 90% outage. https://poweroutage.us/Area/State/Florida

upload_2017-9-10_21-37-36.png

SorcererMC

I suspect the reason for the discrepancy is because Irma made landfall at Naples today instead of at Tampa and I suspect that the national model will show this change at the 11pm update.

ETA: Hurricane Donna had a Naples landfall.
hurricane donna 1960.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If y'all please: When you post a claim about the storm, always provide a link.

This will stop all the "The eye wall is now doing barrel rolls! // Where did you hear that?" posts.

Thanks!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry if this was discussed but looks like this storm took a straight path up through Naples and is heading right for Orlando, rather that curving up the coast and hitting Tampa, as predicted. Can anyone in Fl confirm?

Intellicast St Petersburg radar shows track heading straight for Orlando, Note this is RADAR not a computer model so this is the actual track of the storm.

smp2k6

Really disliking the meteorologist on WESH2 talking about the eye wall moving due north, and could follow the Lake/Orange county line. That's 5-10 miles away from my Dad's house (as well as taking it just west of WDW). I had been figuring this would give him an "interesting, but not TOO interesting" story to tell." That's getting a little too close for comfort.
Not liking the new track either. Our hotel is 3 miles away from the orange/lake county line. Hoping for the best. Praying for everyone, including your Dad.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The National Hurricane Center is saying something completely different. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone

Do you have a more reliable source?

That forecast is from 2 hours ago. It has taken a different path since then and is on a track that would take it right through central Florida.

Go to the below link and look at the actual radar track and you can see if moving inland from the coast and headed toward central Florida. It could change again but it is current headed in this direction.

https://www.clickorlando.com

wdwms

Two things about the track, sometimes the eye (or what is left of it) will no longer be the center of movement. Second this storm and all others, if you've been following it very closely, will wobble from time to time. Not saying it hasn't taken a more northerly route, but just be aware if it does seem to "shift back west"..

If it does remain north, those that "pierce" the center of the eye/circulation will experience a brief period of intense winds, then the calm of the eye, and then a brief period of intense wind. Those on E or W of that will have more intense winds, the further out you go the less calm in the middle.. its a circle folks. :)

SorcererMC

I'm looking at the models, not the NHC track. But if some stations are reporting it through Orlando, I hope it's not too bad.
and @JimW
This is from yesterday afternoon 2pm, which seem to show Naples landfall....although on tv yesterday they kept talking about Tampa.
I'm not a meteorologist so did not post it but IMO here is some evidence that the models have had some accuracy.
ewcmf vs gfs models hurricane irma 09-09-17 2pm Naples landfall maybe.jpg

JimW

Premium Member
That forecast is from 2 hours ago. It has taken a different path since then and is on a track that would take it right through central Florida.
Thanks for the information. It's surprising to me that it'd shift that dramatically in such a short amount of time. However, I've been more wrong on many occasions. Thanks Don.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom