Hurricane Irma

Ziggie

Just talked to my sister in Boyton Beach FL and they are stuck--- no gas available, they were coming here to SC (looks like Irma may be coming here) so it may be just as well. Don't wish this on any one hope it goes somewhere else -------out to sea-- far out sea. Will be boarding up the windows tomorrow and securing everything moving cars and boats to high ground and away from trees, I feel for all those in the Caribbean.
I have very close family members who live in Boynton Beach.

Alice a

Just talked to my sister in Boyton Beach FL and they are stuck--- no gas available, they were coming here to SC (looks like Irma may be coming here) so it may be just as well. Don't wish this on any one hope it goes somewhere else -------out to sea-- far out sea. Will be boarding up the windows tomorrow and securing everything moving cars and boats to high ground and away from trees, I feel for all those in the Caribbean.

We miraculously got 2 nights- Monday and Tuesday- at a very sketchy motel in Greenville. Hoping its not necessary, but the Charleston peninsula will be under water for sure if it even brushes the SC coast. Hopefully you will be safe and it will continue east, out to sea.

flynnibus

Premium Member
More people live on Antigua, but it's sad none the less. Their main source of economic growth is tied to the tourism market, and if the resorts are destroyed or damaged, people aren't going to visit.

A lot of the place is built to be 'disposable' - meaning they know it will get wiped in a storm and they rebuild all the time. It's the core infrastructure surviving that makes the difference between a hit on say the Virgin Islands.. and Haiti.

Huts, bars, canopies, etc are just write-offs... but no power or water for weeks is what makes things into human disasters.

maleficentfan

IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1084.JPG
Images out of Barbuda...

21stamps

Sending good thoughts!

Friends in WPB and South are facing the same problem. They're out of options.
Many people in the Keys are now postponing their evacuation to see if the forecast changes, because unless they drive all the way thru Florida, there just isn't anywhere to go.
It's crazy, there isn't any forecast that could make me comfortable with staying in the Keys.

I'm just praying for everyone that this thing scoots wayyyyy out to sea.

The BBC are saying 90% of buildings in Barbuda have been damaged rather than destroyed, but it's still awful. The exact extent of the impact isn't yet clear as communications have been cut off.

That would imply 10% of buildings were not damaged which seems almost as ridiculous given what they went through.

John park hopper

We miraculously got 2 nights- Monday and Tuesday- at a very sketchy motel in Greenville. Hoping its not necessary, but the Charleston peninsula will be under water for sure if it even brushes the SC coast. Hopefully you will be safe and it will continue east, out to sea.
Glad you found a place, we will head to my sons in Johnson City TN if things look bad on Sunday. Really hate to leave but !!!!!!!!! Wonder when they will reverse the lanes on I- 26

prberk

The Orlando Sentinel reports that some hotels on I-Drive and near WDW have established a very reasonable ($59-$79) "distress rate" for Florida evacuees needing a room. That seemed like a nice gesture. I hope Disney would do something similar, but doubt it. I do know that in some past hurricanes they have moved the Fort Wilderness guests to the Contemporary and other hotels, and that they have donated mattresses to shelters.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...rricane-irma-hotels-rosen-20170906-story.html

Last edited:

prberk

Just checked WDW website for any hotels at any rates, for September 7-11, and the only three showing any availability are Port Orleans (both) and Caribbean Beach. All other resorts are showing unavailable. Listed at the normal rates. Florida residents probably would get their normal discount, though.

Hobnail Boot

Couple more updates from CNN:
  • Jose is now a Category 1 hurricane
  • Irma has destroyed 90% of Barbuda
If you have the opportunity to get out of Florida, or the coast of South Carolina, please be safe.
Everybody always forgets us here on the Georgia coast... :(;)

Forecast has worsened for us. Monday shows 60-80mph sustained unless this thing turns. I've been through Hugo, Floyd and Matthew and none are scaring me like this one is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom