Hurricane Irma

21stamps

In the same boat here but driving down. I would wait a few days as well. Once more info is concrete then I would make adjustments if needed. I am in the thought process that the trip will go on as scheduled unless I hear the path has changed to a more direct hit of Central Florida. By the 15th, the storm should be well away from Florida, but what damage it leaves is up in the air.

And just as a reminder, hurricanes shift within hours. No one can accurately predict their landing point. Look at Matthew, thankfully it turned at literally the last minute.

disneygeek90

we are due to fly into Orlando on the 15th September (next Friday)

What would you all suggest? Wait a few more days and see where the hurricane will go or begin to find alternatives?

The 2 weeks from the 15th are the only time we can visit for the next few years

Everyone's safety is more important and I hope everyone is safe!
I would think unless there is catastrophic damage to Central Florida the 15th should be okay. That's a full week after it should hit.

21stamps

I have family down in Summerland key. Definitely wouldn't want to be down there right now. That one way road is never fun on a normal day let alone during an evacuation.

Good thoughts to your family! It's going to be a mess getting out for the next several days. :(

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
We are flying in tomorrowing morning. Leaving on the 16th.

We have the Wild Africa Trek booked for the morning of the 11th. 2 days cancellation is required. Should I cancel this now? Wait a few days and see? Wait for Disney to make the call?

I know nobody knows, but does anybody think this is likely going to be a go on the 11th?

JohnD

Original Poster
we are due to fly into Orlando on the 15th September (next Friday)

What would you all suggest? Wait a few more days and see where the hurricane will go or begin to find alternatives?

The 2 weeks from the 15th are the only time we can visit for the next few years

Everyone's safety is more important and I hope everyone is safe!

I'm like you. I'm due to drive in on the 16th.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot

We have the Wild Africa Trek booked for the morning of the 11th. 2 days cancellation is required. Should I cancel this now? Wait a few days and see? Wait for Disney to make the call?

I know nobody knows, but does anybody think this is likely going to be a go on the 11th?
Hey there. As of right now according to WESH down here in Central Florida, we are expecting to be impacted by this on Sunday and Monday. Technically, it's still too early to tell what to expect.

JohnD

Original Poster
Be safe, were hopefully flying in from Manchester, U.K.

Been saving and planning since May 2016, my fingers are tightly crossed.

For you the storm will have passed. There could be some inconveniences at WDW as they clean up but that should be about it for you. In my case I want to drive from Tallahassee, FL. For me it's more about the state of my home, power, and roads than WDW itself.

Uncle Lupe

We fly in on the 16th so hopefully a week after landfall. We went to Myrtle Beach a week after a hurricane last year. Saw much more damage in the rural area than the tourist area. Just wishing for the best.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Let Disney make the call. They are good in these situations, and will look after you.

Jordanaous

National Weather Service have issued an update on Irma, and it's now officially as strong as Wilma in 2005, and the joint second strongest hurricane in the Atlantic's history. 185mph sustained winds. It's also still travelling over warm waters, giving it a chance to further strengthen. Possible that it could reach Allen heights of 190mph...

bpiper

For those interested, here is when new track guidance becomes available:

New NHC track at 5pm/11pm/5am/11am (est)

GFS model at 12pm/6pm/12am/6am
EURO model 2pm/2am (est)

GFS says East coast, Euro Says West coast. NHC is siding with the Euro model so far.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom