Hurricane Irma

21stamps

But I got several days off work thanks to all those storms. Had a friend and colleague who lived in Sarasota. Convinced her husband to get on the road at the last minute and drive to their son's home in Orlando. Got stuck in the traffic and outer bands of the storm. Watched a tornado in the distance.

When they got home, they ordered hurricane shutters....and a whole home generator.

Yep. This is why I never tried to go north!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If you're planning to visit Central/South Florida this weekend through next, start considering alternate plans. Airlines will start cancelling flights and airports will close. Major roads will become evacuation routes. Supplies will be limited because residents will have cleared the shelves. Think about what Disney provided after Matthew and the complaints. Staffing will be minimal. Do you REALLY want to be at WDW during this?

21stamps

Just announced. Monroe County (the Keys) schools will be closed starting tomorrow. I would imagine evacuations to start soon thereafter.

Yep. They are closed until further notice. I'm hoping they just announce the evac now. Give people time. What a tough decision!!!

I have a mild obsession with Flagler, and by extension the Overseas Railroad.. the destruction of the Labor Day hurricane is so frightening to me, the Keys have not seen any major hurricane of that type of force since that time. Irma is becoming a monster. Even if it hits parts of Cuba the Southern Keys can still face tornadoes and horrible winds.
Yes, it's 2017 and we are better prepared.. but there is no where to hide in that area. Entire islands can be wiped out. I'm not trying to sound dramatic, but I am fiercely praying that this storm weakens greatly or misses that part of the country altogether. The reality is- not everyone will leave even if mandatory.

bpiper

Here is the latest info from the 11am update from the National Hurricane Center. Irma is now the strongest Atlantic Hurricane ever recorded by the NHC outside of the Gulf of Mexico. WOW.
upload_2017-9-5_12-9-24.png

Irma is an extremely impressive hurricane in both infrared and visible satellite images. Experimental GOES-16 one-minute visible
satellite pictures show a distinct 25-30 n mi wide eye with several mesovortices rotating within with eye. The aircraft have not
sampled the northeastern eyewall where the strongest winds were measured shortly before 1200 UTC this morning, but the Air Force
plane will be entering the eye in that quadrant momentarily. A peak SFMR wind of 154 kt was reported, with a few others of 149-150 kt.
Based on these data the initial intensity is set at 155 kt for this advisory. This makes Irma the strongest hurricane in the Atlantic
basin outside of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico in the NHC
records.

Irma is expected to remain within low vertical wind shear, a moist mid-level atmosphere, and high upper-ocean heat content as it moves
west-northwestward during the next several days. These conditions should allow the hurricane to remain very intense throughout much
of the forecast period, however, fluctuations in intensity are likely to occur as eyewall replacement cycles take place. The NHC
intensity forecast is near the upper-end of the guidance and assumes little overall interaction of Irma with the islands of the Greater
Antilles.

Irma continues to move westward at about 12 kt, and a strong subtropical ridge centered over the central Atlantic should steer
Irma generally westward today. The ridge is expected to remain in place over the western Atlantic during the next several days and
Irma is forecast to move west-northwestward throughout the most of remainder of the forecast period. Around day 5, a shortwave trough
dropping southward over the central United States is expected to begin eroding the western portion of the ridge, allowing a Irma to
gain some latitude. The new NHC track forecast is close to the HFIP corrected consensus model and is very similar to the previous
forecast.

Since Irma is a large hurricane, users are reminded to not focus on the exact forecast track since tropical-storm and hurricane-force
winds and life-threatening storm surge extend far from the center. Residents in the Leeward Islands should complete their preparations
very soon as the weather will begin to deteriorate over the easternmost Leeward Islands later this afternoon.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Just an update, the 12Z run of the GFS has again shifted east (off the coast). Good news as the NE quadrant always spawns the most wind damage. (Looks like with this run central Florida gets hit with TS force or minimal CAT1 Hurricane sustained winds. Also the latest NAM Models are also east. Waiting for 2PM for the 12Z European model to come out.

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_24.png

21stamps

Still 5-6 days out... while models shifting 20, 30, even 50 miles might be good or bad, nothing is really changing. The entire peninsula of Florida is still on high alert and evacuations will be needed to be heeded by potentially millions of people. We will know a lot more on Friday.

The Keys have issued a mandatory evac for visitors now. Hospitals are also starting to be cleared out apparently.

disneygeek90

Just an update, the 12Z run of the GFS has again shifted east (off the coast). Good news as the NE quadrant always spawns the most wind damage. (Looks like with this run central Florida gets hit with TS force or minimal CAT1 Hurricane sustained winds. Also the latest NAM Models are also east. Waiting for 2PM for the 12Z European model to come out.

gfs_mslp_wind_seus_24.png
I hope this is the case. Would spare much of the west side from catastrophic damage. Unfortunately it's just too far away to predict with any certainty. (Though maybe I'm getting a day off of work next Monday).

Disney Dad 3000

Hope all of you in Florida stay safe!

This is the first time I've ever been happy not to be visiting WDW. Up until a few weeks ago were supposed to be flying in the 8th and out the 12th. Even if it goes a little east imagine it will be pretty wet which wouldn't have made the trip or Halloween party not all that fun.

21stamps

I hope this is the case. Would spare much of the west side from catastrophic damage. Unfortunately it's just too far away to predict with any certainty. (Though maybe I'm getting a day off of work next Monday).

It is too far away, and the uncertainty must be met with action.

Just got off the phone with one of my KW friends, all hotels are closing now. Traffic is insane, gas stations already have 1 hour and more wait times. She said that it's gone in to full panic mode in that past hour.
Her plan is to leave Thursday night to avoid some of the traffic.. I am arguing with that "plan".

Let's all pray or send good thoughts to everyone in that area.. especially that people will NOT drive like idiots. One accident can shut down the only way out for several hours.

IanDLBZF

A reminder about transit for those of you staying either in the resort or off property (or even living in the area)...
Within the Walt Disney World Resort:
  • I believe the policy for Disney Transportation (including boats, buses, monorails, Minnie Vans, and DME) is to suspend service when sustained winds hit 35 mph or greater or when there is severe flash flooding within the resort.
As for LYNX, I-Ride, and SunRail:
  • LYNX will provide service as scheduled until sustained winds reach 35 mph on the ground or severe flooding is occurring. At that point all LYNX services (fixed route, NeighborLINK, Lymmo, and Road Rangers) will be pulled off the road for safety reasons. ACCESS LYNX TD Customers: The period beginning 12 hours before sustained winds reach 35 mph, ACCESS LYNX will only be providing life-sustaining medical trips.
  • SunRail will cease operations at 8:33 PM on Friday (tomorrow). The last Southbound train will depart DeBary at 6:00 PM, the last Northbound train will depart Sand Lake Road at 7:30 PM. This is to prepare the railway line for the storm.
  • I-Ride hasn't provided any specific details as of right now, but I do know that they may suspend service on Saturday.
As always, please be sure to monitor this storm closely and stay tuned to local media on radio or TV for the latest information and further details.
Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Those who have trips planned this week and next should call Disney if they have questions in regards to their trip plans and what options Disney has currently. Which having spoken to a rep in regards to our trip, we leave on friday, Disney is being very helpful.

Wilson12345

we are due to fly into Orlando on the 15th September (next Friday)

What would you all suggest? Wait a few more days and see where the hurricane will go or begin to find alternatives?

The 2 weeks from the 15th are the only time we can visit for the next few years

Everyone's safety is more important and I hope everyone is safe!

21stamps

What would you all suggest? Wait a few more days and see where the hurricane will go or begin to find alternatives?

I'd wait a couple more days if you can.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

In the same boat here but driving down. I would wait a few days as well. Once more info is concrete then I would make adjustments if needed. I am in the thought process that the trip will go on as scheduled unless I hear the path has changed to a more direct hit of Central Florida. By the 15th, the storm should be well away from Florida, but what damage it leaves is up in the air.

disneygeek90

It is too far away, and the uncertainty must be met with action.

Just got off the phone with one of my KW friends, all hotels are closing now. Traffic is insane, gas stations already have 1 hour and more wait times. She said that it's gone in to full panic mode in that past hour.
Her plan is to leave Thursday night to avoid some of the traffic.. I am arguing with that "plan".

Let's all pray or send good thoughts to everyone in that area.. especially that people will NOT drive like idiots. One accident can shut down the only way out for several hours.
I have family down in Summerland key. Definitely wouldn't want to be down there right now. That one way road is never fun on a normal day let alone during an evacuation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom