Hurricane Irma

Ziggie

Maybe. I think back to Charlie. What was the wind speed when it reached the Orlando area?

I think you'll be ok at Disney. Try, though, not to get (1) a bottom floor (flooding) or (2) top floor (roof damage). Will be much more pleasant than a shelter.
We were actually out on a cruise ship at sea when Charlie struck, so I don't have much recollection of it. We have a Lion's King Suite booked so I'm just hoping everything works out for the best. I'll be terribly worried about the family that stays behind here... they're even closer to the ocean (less than 5 miles).

cosmicgirl

I have the exact same dates for WDW, and am wanting to cancel. Can I ask why, you do not?
Going through a hurricane is NOT on my bucket list...also want my family to be safe!!!!
Really not sure if Disney has started there Hurricane Policy yet. I can't get through to them on the phone. All lines are busy.

Officially, no, because no hurricane warnings have been issued by the NHC for the main land. However, there have been reports of people being able to cancel or postpone. The only way you would officially fall under their hurricane policy at the moment is if you live on one of the islands that is currently under a warning, in which case you'd have other things to worry about right now.

Sans Souci

One of my friends flew in from Europe Saturday and was planning on staying until the 15. She is staying at a hotel in Disney Springs and is concerned about Irma's impact. She was thinking of going to NYC for a few days and then return to catch her flight on the 15th. I was concerned about her being able to get back down to Orlando.

I was worried about her staying down there yesterday, but now I am thinking it might be a "better" option for her to stay.

What do the seasoned veterans think?

21stamps

One of my friends flew in from Europe Saturday and was planning on staying until the 15. She is staying at a hotel in Disney Springs and is concerned about Irma's impact. She was thinking of going to NYC for a few days and then return to catch her flight on the 15th. I was concerned about her being able to get back down to Orlando.

I was worried about her staying down there yesterday, but now I am thinking it might be a "better" option for her to stay.

What do the seasoned veterans think?

Can she actually get a flight to NYC now? Has she checked?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Can anyone suggest a list or a link for a rundown of what and how much is needed?

Like say: Water enough for such and such days/nights

I think @LAKid53 you mentioned this in a previous post?

Water for at least a week. 1 gallon of water per person per day - for drinking, cooking and brushing your teeth.

Batteries - all sizes (AA, AAA, C, D)

Battery chargers for electronics - I have 4

Flashlights, lanterns, FLAMELESS candles

Non-perishble canned food - peanut butter, tuna, chicken, beans, soup. Don't forget that manual can opener

Paper plates, bowls, cups, napkins, paper towels and utensils

Big trash bags

Toiletries - I knew all those ones that disappeared from my Disney resort would come to good use

First aid kit with bandaids, wipes, antiseptic ointment, pain medications, etc.

Baby wipes - not just for baby's rear. Great for that "sponge" bath if water is unavailable

Diapers/formula for baby

Books, toys for kids

Booze for the adults

In other words, sufficient supplies to take care of yourself and your family for a week, at least.

DisneyJoe

Officially, no, because no hurricane warnings have been issued by the NHC for the main land. However, there have been reports of people being able to cancel or postpone. The only way you would officially fall under their hurricane policy at the moment is if you live on one of the islands that is currently under a warning, in which case you'd have other things to worry about right now.
Disney(WDW) has been very flexible in allowing cancels and changes with no fees, we have been working with our clients yesterday and today.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We were actually out on a cruise ship at sea when Charlie struck, so I don't have much recollection of it. We have a Lion's King Suite booked so I'm just hoping everything works out for the best. I'll be terribly worried about the family that stays behind here... they're even closer to the ocean (less than 5 miles).

Not good for them. Hope they are filling up sand bags.

Sans Souci

I would recommend to see if it's even a possibility first. From what I've seen it's about impossible to get a flight out right now. Not sure about Greyhound.

Yes. Thanks. She's already gotten food and water. I think she is getting rattled. They don't get hurricanes in her country, so is a little concerned. :)

KBLovedDisney

Water for at least a week. 1 gallon of water per person per day - for drinking, cooking and brushing your teeth.

Batteries - all sizes (AA, AAA, C, D)

Battery chargers for electronics - I have 4

Flashlights, lanterns, FLAMELESS candles

Non-perishble canned food - peanut butter, tuna, chicken, beans, soup. Don't forget that manual can opener

Paper plates, bowls, cups, napkins, paper towels and utensils

Big trash bags

Toiletries - I knew all those ones that disappeared from my Disney resort would come to good use

First aid kit with bandaids, wipes, antiseptic ointment, pain medications, etc.

Baby wipes - not just for baby's rear. Great for that "sponge" bath if water is unavailable

Diapers/formula for baby

Books, toys for kids

Booze for the adults

In other words, sufficient supplies to take care of yourself and your family for a week, at least.
Thank you!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Remember that if you lose water then you'll need your bottled water/jugs for flushing toilets, washing off, brushing your teeth, etc.

Even a few days of that is absolute HECK. (Can't write the word I'd like to use).

Plan for that as well.

No, the bathtub full of water is for flushing the toilet, not the water you need to drink.

Which brings up something else. Try to flush every 2-3 No. 1s. If water is out, so may be sewage systems. Don't want a backed up toilet.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Remember that if you lose water then you'll need your bottled water/jugs for flushing toilets, washing off, brushing your teeth, etc.

Even a few days of that is absolute HECK. (Can't write the word I'd like to use).

Plan for that as well.
Only do this as a last resort. Any water can be used for flushing toilets. You can fill the bathtub for this purpose or just grab literally any water you can find (lake,retention pond, swimming pool, flooded street, etc) to flush a toilet. Save the bottled water for drinking and cooking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom