Hurricane Irma

tink2304

You sure this is for flood damage? Rooms are being "gutted" and refurbished across the resort. So could just be part of the ongoing room renovations. Those buildings are slightly elevated and would require some substantial flooding for water to enter the guest rooms I would think. I don't remember any reports of flooding at Coronado during the storm or reports of guests having water enter their rooms.

That's what we were told when we arrived, I was confused to because I had not read about any flooding either. Supposedly this building isn't being renovated yet.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The Jungle Cruise is now open. There is extensive tree damage and you can see the pirate building and parts of Main Street USA. It's amazing that they opened it so fast. Also, Rhino is still MIA

Thanks for the update. We were there pre Irma and post Irma when Jungle was then down. I guess I understand somewhat Disney wanting to get Jungle up with Splash down in that immediate area and Thunder being so glitchy over our extended stay, Thunder was up and down our entire trip and Pirates can only absorb so much even with the lower attendance Disney was experiencing during our trip. Sure hope in the overnight hours they start planting some of the more more mature trees from the Disney tree farm to mask Main Street and the Pirates soon. I saw things like what you are describing at AKL and AK too. Even the Giraffes seemed a bit confused.

DisneyCane

Much of Collier County is still without 3 phase power, meaning many lift stations are not fully powered or completely unpowered. So they've had problems with raw sewage spilling out of some of them. They expect to have power back to 95% of Collier Co. by this Friday, though I don't know if that includes 3 phase power. It's still a dicey situation in Collier Co. even if normal power is restored to individual homes and apartments.

Power and 3 phase power are essentially the same thing. The generators at power stations produce 3 phase power. That's why the main distribution poles have wires in groups of 3. They only split them for residential streets that don't have any possible need for all 3 phases and don't need the capacity of multiple lines.

I guess they could theoretically repair 1 or 2 of the lines in a 3 phase circuit of an area but I don't think that makes sense to do. It would cause issues for load balancing. In order to maintain constant voltage on the grid, the power stations adjust their output. In a simplistic example, if a 3 phase generator only has 2 phases connected to loads, it has to increase output to maintain nominal voltage on those two "lines." However, the 3rd phase will still get the output increase which will cause the voltage to go a lot higher since nothing is drawing current on that "line."

If the lift stations are down, it is more likely to do with issues with on site transformers and electrical equipment. The power can be restored to the station from the view of FPL (or whoever the utility is at the location) but the lift station might not be able to operate, especially if equipment is water damaged and needs to be replaced.

Grimley1968

Collier & Lee Counties are expected to have 95% or even full power restoration by tomorrow. The beaches there tested "good" for bacteria on Monday. Collier County schools are supposed to start back Monday, 9/25.

So they've got that going for them, which is nice. :)

Last edited:

disneygeek90

https://amp.local10.com/weather/hur...d-human-services-secretary-tom-price-governor

The Keys should gradually reopen for tourism next month. I hope people visit.

Crews and volunteers are working their tails off day and night, it's heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.
My aunt and uncles place is standing, but their roof is torn off and part of the ceiling insulation/boards fell through the house. I suppose it's good that they at least had something to come back to. No power or water.

21stamps

My aunt and uncles place is standing, but their roof is torn off and part of the ceiling insulation/boards fell through the house. I suppose it's good that they at least had something to come back to. No power or water.

Sorry to hear that. :(

Several of my full time resident/business owner friends decided to go to Israel for 2 weeks instead of returning with their children to face the no water/no power/debris/food shortage/no tourism mess. They all return end of this month and beginning of next, the haven't personally seen the Keys since they evacuated more than 2 weeks ago.

Another one of my snowbird friends, lives in NE half the year, Islamorada the other half, went down to volunteer. His house was flooded and needs a lot of work, but it was still standing as well. His photos were so inspirational, he went around to help clear debris and fix as much as possible..
Snowbirds, permanent residents, business owners, military officials, state officials etc etc.. Everyone is working together.

plutofan15

For those who might be waiting for cell service to be returned to service, please keep in mind all the work that has to happen for that to happen. Obviously, commercial power needs to be restored if portable generators are unavailable or unable to reach the site. And there are certainly not enough generators to power all the sites in FL. Also, towers have to be climbed to assess and repair to cabling, antennas, radios and mounts.The winds in Keys were so strong that entire antenna platforms were rotated out of alignment in addition to the antennas being blown in many directions (antennas should not point towards the ground). Here are some photos of sites being worked on in Keys by some of my co-workers. Lord knows you would never get me up on the towers on a good day let alone after a Cat 4/5 hurricane. Photos were taken by one of our drones.Kudos to these guys.

upload_2017-9-21_12-24-32.jpeg upload_2017-9-21_12-24-54.jpegupload_2017-9-21_12-26-2.jpegupload_2017-9-21_12-26-22.jpegupload_2017-9-21_12-26-39.jpeg

21stamps

For those who might be waiting for cell service to be returned to service, please keep in mind all the work that has to happen for that to happen. Obviously, commercial power needs to be restored if portable generators are unavailable or unable to reach the site. And there are certainly not enough generators to power all the sites in FL. Also, towers have to be climbed to assess and repair to cabling, antennas, radios and mounts.The winds in Keys were so strong that entire antenna platforms were rotated out of alignment in addition to the antennas being blown in many directions (antennas should not point towards the ground). Here are some photos of sites being worked on in Keys by some of my co-workers. Lord knows you would never get me up on the towers on a good day let alone after a Cat 4/5 hurricane. Photos were taken by one of our drones.Kudos to these guys.

View attachment 232210 View attachment 232211View attachment 232212View attachment 232213View attachment 232214

Wow. I couldn't do it. Thank you for posting these!

Ryan Philbrick

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. I've been following closely from KS for over a week now. The breadth of information shared has been most helpful.

Call it insensitive if you must, but I am one of the folks who really didn't want to see our family vacation ruined by Irma. My wife has been saving and planning for nearly a year so that we could take our kids to Disney World - something she always dreamt of but never got to do as a child. We were scheduled to arrive this past Saturday and stay for a week. Thankfully, we were able to push everything back until tomorrow. We're no longer staying at the resort we preferred and know we may see some closed rides, but we're elated that we still get to go.

We just returned from our weeklong trip. It was fabulous. We arrived on Wednesday, 9/13 and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except for some damaged trees and plants.

Dubman

Gotta say that here in upstate NY, we have been having an unusually warm September. Makes you wonder if its due to all the tropical activity.. It's going to be close to 90 here from Saturday into Monday! Record warmth for this time of year.

Looking forward to our November trip to Disney.. Hopefully no more hurricanes!!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

View attachment 232210 View attachment 232211View attachment 232212View attachment 232213View attachment 232214
I think it's amazing that any of these towers are even standing.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Fascinating pictures, and I'm very impressed with the work these men are doing. They're brave to work up on those very high towers.

21stamps

For all you KW lovers...someone just told me Hog's Breath Saloon is opening - they were watching it on the cam. If true, woo hoo!

@21stamps - knew you'd like this:joyfull::joyfull:

Thanks for sharing.. Awesome!!!! Things are going in the right direction!!

Last I heard tourism should be reopening in time for Fantasy Fest.. around last week of October! I'll be there the next month..can't wait :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom