Hurricane Irma

Bocabear

Over the years the water has been may different colors...I think they were testing different dyes back in the 70s... Sea World dyed all their water features ty d bowl blue back when they first oened...it was very pretty... WDW did a greenish color, a bluish color, then a red brown color... the greenish and the bulish were the prettiest, though the red brown color was more realistic for a jungle rivwer...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Watch The African Queen. That's the color they're shooting for.
The_African_Queen-400x303.jpg

DisAl

The primary reason they dye the water is so you cannot see the guide rails for the boats or the mechanics of the animatronics that are in the water. Have you seen the "real" water in the cypress swamps in the south? Usually the color of strong tea and you can't see more than a few inches in it. Same thing for the Rivers of America. It is dyed so you can't see the rails that guide the Liberty Belle.
Like other posters though, I would prefer some shade of green rather than brown. Just guessing here, but the brown probably hides things better.

jaklgreen

I know that water is not clear. I have been going for over 20 years. But this last trip the water was especially brown. Like someone cleaned out the safari at AK and dumped it into the water. Even the backside of water waterfall was dark brown.

prberk

We deal with a software company based on Tampa, and in a phone meeting yesterday some Tampa-based employees said that they had power at the office but still not at home. No other details given (as it was a business call), but thought I would note it here.

peter11435

I know that water is not clear. I have been going for over 20 years. But this last trip the water was especially brown. Like someone cleaned out the safari at AK and dumped it into the water. Even the backside of water waterfall was dark brown.
Yep, freshly dyed. You should see the waterfall when they are in the process of adding the dye.

Grimley1968

Much of Collier County is still without 3 phase power, meaning many lift stations are not fully powered or completely unpowered. So they've had problems with raw sewage spilling out of some of them. They expect to have power back to 95% of Collier Co. by this Friday, though I don't know if that includes 3 phase power. It's still a dicey situation in Collier Co. even if normal power is restored to individual homes and apartments.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Much of Collier County is still without 3 phase power, meaning many lift stations are not fully powered or completely unpowered. So they've had problems with raw sewage spilling out of some of them. They expect to have power back to 95% of Collier Co. by this Friday, though I don't know if that includes 3 phase power. It's still a dicey situation in Collier Co. even if normal power is restored to individual homes and apartments.
Well, it's better to have some power than none at all -- all will be OK as long as people remember to not flush the toilets until the treatment plants are back on-line.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Considering distribution is 3-Phase its probably a question of drying out the transformers to step down the HV 7500V or greater to 480-600V for motor usage

tractor tipper

Just returned 17-19. Flying in saw a few blue tarps on house roofs, not nearly as many as I would have expected. Trees down outside of parks varied from a few here and there to a small grove of pines all busted up. Most notable though was the number of disaster recovery trucks (mildew, mold wet specialty) parked at different resorts. One was even from Maryland. Off topic had a durn near perfect ( for me) rib eye steak at Le Cellier haven't had one this good in 30 years. Yes better than Yachtsman.

tink2304

I'm at Coronado Springs now and they are still cleaning up from flood damage in Ranchos 6A. When we arrived they were pulling the carpet out of the rooms .

peter11435

I'm at Coronado Springs now and they are still cleaning up from flood damage in Ranchos 6A. When we arrived they were pulling the carpet out of the rooms .
You sure this is for flood damage? Rooms are being "gutted" and refurbished across the resort. So could just be part of the ongoing room renovations. Those buildings are slightly elevated and would require some substantial flooding for water to enter the guest rooms I would think. I don't remember any reports of flooding at Coronado during the storm or reports of guests having water enter their rooms.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Does anyone have any pictures of Fort Wilderness damage?

Ft. Wilderness closed to the public the day before Irma, guests were relocated. A week later when we were leaving it was still closed.
While we walked the Wilderness Lodge (for a lack of anything else to do the afternoon after Irma) we came to the walking path/road/bike trail that goes to Ft. Wilderness. The big tree grinder trucks were just coming out the one side and crossing the intersection where we stood to go down the other portion of the road. The part they had come out of had a pretty deep coating of sawdust from all the trees they had ground and it still looked a mess. The part they hadn't touched yet was trees toppled on the road making it not passable.

That was the only area I saw all week that had that many toppled trees. The Lodge only had a few and they were small diameter. The Fort was filled with many much older trees than most resorts have or what Andrew and Charlie didn't take out prior.

It is my understanding that Ft. Wilderness will reopen to guests tomorrow. (Wednesday)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom