Hurricane Dennis

DisneyChik17

TAC said:
That's interesting. I guess the state police have to be set up to keep people, on what would normally be the Southbound, from taking "exits" (which are really entrances to the interstate). I wonder how they are going to handle people needing to get off for gas and potty breaks.

Oh yes, the police have a huge presence(sp?) in tmes when the government issues things like this. It's really weird to see after power is back. People are already leving from the south end of the county headed North. I am so glad to see it because I wory about people I don't even know down there.

I also just want to say thank you to all of you who have posted kind words, stories, links, and updates. You are all so kind! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Everyone who is in harms way with us, stay safe!

Kadee

TAC said:
That's interesting. I guess the state police have to be set up to keep people, on what would normally be the Southbound, from taking "exits" (which are really entrances to the interstate). I wonder how they are going to handle people needing to get off for gas and potty breaks.
It is set up pretty well. They usually have officers at the exits keeping people from getting on southbound. It really helped the traffic heading out because if Ivan (even though it was still a huge traffic jam). I would have been worse. Traffic on Hwy 59 out of Gulf Shores (which goes right by my neighborhood) is already becoming very heavy. For Ivan, they even made it only northbound, as well. I'm just glad they are getting out now instead of waiting until tomorrow.

AND!!!! The wind is now down to 125mph!!!!!! Hopefully, it won't get stronger again.

pinkrose

Kadee said:
It is set up pretty well. They usually have officers at the exits keeping people from getting on southbound. It really helped the traffic heading out because if Ivan (even though it was still a huge traffic jam). I would have been worse. Traffic on Hwy 59 out of Gulf Shores (which goes right by my neighborhood) is already becoming very heavy. For Ivan, they even made it only northbound, as well. I'm just glad they are getting out now instead of waiting until tomorrow.

AND!!!! The wind is now down to 125mph!!!!!! Hopefully, it won't get stronger again.
They are expecting it to go back up after it passes Cuba. Hopefully, it won't. Are you leaving soon Kadee?

Tim G

STORM STATUSJuly 8, 6:47 PM EDT

Name: Hurricane Dennis
Location: About 65 miles 105 km, east-southeast of havana cuba and about 130 miles, 210 km, South of Key West Florida.
Lat/Long: 22.7N, 81.4W
Max Winds: 125 mph
Category: 3
Heading: Northwest
Speed: 15 mph
Pressure: 28.11 inches

WUNIDS_map02.gif

Tim G

Hurricane Dennis Intermediate Advisory
Number 17a

Issued at: 6:47 PM EDT 7/8/05 (gateway).

Dangerous major hurricane dennis continuing northwestward across western cuba,

A hurricane warning is in effect for cuba for the provinces of la habana, ciudad de la habana, matanzas, villa clara, cienfuegos, sancti spiritus, ciego de avila, camaguey, las tunas, granma, santiago de cuba, holguin and guantanamo.
A hurricane watch remains in effect for the isle of youth and the province of pinar del rio.
Eastern portions of the hurricane warning area will likely be discontinued later tonight.

A hurricane warning is in effect for the lower Florida keys from the seven mile bridge westward to the dry tortugas.
A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch are in effect for the remainder of the Florida keys, east of the seven mile bridge to ocean reef and Florida bay.

A hurricane watch is also in effect for portions of the northeastern gulf coast from the steinhatchee river westward to the mouth of the pearl river.

A tropical storm warning is in effect along the Florida west coast from anclote key southward, and along the Florida east coast from golden beach southward.

A tropical storm watch is in effect along the Florida west coast from north of anclote key northward to east of the steinhatchee river.

A hurricane or tropical storm warning means that hurricane or tropical storm conditions, respectively, are expected within the warning area within the next 24 hours.
Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed to completion in the hurricane warning area.
A hurricane or tropical storm watch means that hurricane or tropical storm conditions, respectively, are possible within the watch area, generally within 36 hours.

Interests elsewhere in the western caribbean sea, Florida, and the eastern gulf of mexico should monitor the progress of this system.

For storm information specific to your area, including possible inland watches and warnings, please monitor products issued by your local weather office.

At 7 pm edt, 2300z, the center of hurricane dennis was located near latitude 22.7 north, longitude 81.4 west or about 65 miles 105 km, east-southeast of havana cuba and about 130 miles, 210 km, south of key west Florida.

Dennis is moving toward the northwest near 15 mph, 24 km/hr. On this track, the center should emerge off the north-central coast of cuba this evening.

Maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 125 mph, 200 km/hr, with higher gusts.
This makes dennis a category 3 hurricane on the saffir-simpson scale.
Some further weakening is forecast as dennis moves over cuba.
However, dennis is expected to remain a major hurricane as it emerges over the straits of florida and the southeastern gulf of mexico this evening.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 65 miles, 100 km, from the center, and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 160 miles, 260 km. Cienfuegos cuba recently reported a wind gust of 93 mph.
Winds are increasing in the Florida keys at this hour, with the noaa automated station at sombrero key recently reported sustained winds of 48 mph with a gust to 60 mph at an elevation of 160 feet.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 952 mb, 28.11 inches.

Dennis is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 5 to 10 inches over cuba, with local 15 inch amounts.
These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides.
Rainfall of 4 to 8 inches is expected over the Florida keys and southern Florida.

Storm surge flooding of 5 to 10 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, are still possible in areas of onshore winds along the south-central coast of cuba.
Higher values of storm will be possible in bays and inlets.
A storm surge of 3 to 6 feet is possible in the lower Florida keys.
A storm surge of 4 to 7 feet is possible along the southwest coast of florida tonight and Saturday.

Isolated tornadoes will be possible over the Florida keys and the southern Florida peninsula into Saturday.

Repeating the 7 pm edt position, 22.7 n, 81.4 w. Movement toward, northwest near 15 mph. Maximum sustained winds, 125 mph. Minimum central pressure, 952 mb.

An intermediate advisory will be issued by the national hurricane center at 9 pm edt followed by the next complete advisory at 11 pm edt.

Kadee

pinkrose said:
They are expecting it to go back up after it passes Cuba. Hopefully, it won't. Are you leaving soon Kadee?

Now that it is forcasted to hit just a bit east of Pensacola.....maybe even farther east than that, we are staying here. It is so hard to travel with the dogs. We are boarded up and our house is brick, so we should be ok. Don't worry, I will be on here with updates for as long as I can. LOL...I may have to give you my cell phone number to do updates for me.....LOL. We were without phone for over a week after Ivan and without cable for about 3 weeks. Thank goodness for cell phones.

pinkrose

Kadee said:
Now that it is forcasted to hit just a bit east of Pensacola.....maybe even farther east than that, we are staying here. It is so hard to travel with the dogs. We are boarded up and our house is brick, so we should be ok. Don't worry, I will be on here with updates for as long as I can. LOL...I may have to give you my cell phone number to do updates for me.....LOL. We were without phone for over a week after Ivan and without cable for about 3 weeks. Thank goodness for cell phones.
I'll give you mine also. I was without power for 2 days with Ivan and it went out first thing. I have no idea how long I'll have power, but I'll be here until it goes out. lol Stay safe Kadee!!!

pinkrose

Kadee, I see that there's a mandatory evac. for all of Mobile county.

From the Fox10 website...
The Mobile County Emergency Management Agency called for the evacuation of all 400,000 people of Mobile County, starting Saturday morning.

The release says, "Due to the potential approach of dangerous Hurricane Dennis, Governor Bob Riley has issued a mandatory evacuation for residents of Mobile County starting at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow (Saturday, July 9, 2005). All residents should begin their evacuation as soon as possible."

Kadee

pinkrose said:
Kadee, I see that there's a mandatory evac. for all of Mobile county.

From the Fox10 website...

I'm in Baldwin County. Mandatory evacuations are only south of I-10. I am about 20 miles north of I-10. However, I do have 2 sisters and a brother (and their families) that live south of I-10. One sister lives in Orange Beach. I don't think they are leaving. I think Baldwin County is higher than Mobile. Plus, our county is much less "built up" so our drainage is better. I think they are more worried about flooding than anything. I think we will be ok.....No..I'm sure we will be ok. I've been praying for a while and He's never let me down!

pinkrose

Glad you are getting to stay Kadee. Be careful. :)

Here's what they are saying for us as of right now... (I'm south of I-20)

By early Monday, the center of Dennis will be located over West Alabama and will still be packing quite a punch. In fact, hurricane force winds will be possible over much of Alabama south of I-20. North of I-20, tropical storm force winds will still occur. This will cause lots of tree and power line damage, so expect power outages. You will also want to bring in objects that might be blown about.

In the Birmingham area, winds may reach 70 mph, with gusts to around 90 mph. Even in East Alabama, winds may reach as high as 70 mph. In addition, torrential rains of 4-8 inches will overspread the area with the winds Sunday night and Monday morning. Some 10+ inch amount are possible. Obviously, this could cause severe flooding. Tornadoes will also be a threat, especially on the eastern side of the storm, which will encompass much of the state.

Of course, this forecast is based on a the aforementioned track and is subject to change. Needless to say, all Alabamians must stay abreast of the latest developments all weekend.

Ringo8n24

Hey, guys. It seems like yesterday we were all on here talking about Ivan. My husband and I were leaving for WDW the day after Ivan hit last year and we have been on travelocity all last week trying to get a flight out for yesterday to go back to WDW then along comes Dennis. I think we are jinxed. We bring hurricanes if we decide to go to WDW. :veryconfu Needless to say, we are staying home for the weekend in hurricane prep mode and not going to WDW...maybe another weekend SOON. I need a Disney fix. Everyone in the storm area stay safe...Kadee keep in touch. You and I are probably closer to each other in dealing with this.

Tina

Kadee

Well, my house is all boarded up and VERY DARK! I keep walking around outside because I know I will be couped up all day tomorrow. I HATE that. I LOVE being outside. The weather here is gorgeous right now. The skys are bluer than I've seen them in a long time and no clouds anywhere. But local news says we can expect rain by tonight.

Elizabeth & Tina, I will keep in touch with both of you. Look for some pics! I'll post them if I have electricity.

Karin

mousermerf

Account Suspended
You know those warning things on the TV that go "Buzz. Buzz. This is only a test..."

Well, I just got "Buzz. Buzz. This is not a test. Tornado Warning for..."

I'm off to hide under something. *hides*

Kadee

mousermerf said:
You know those warning things on the TV that go "Buzz. Buzz. This is only a test..."

Well, I just got "Buzz. Buzz. This is not a test. Tornado Warning for..."

I'm off to hide under something. *hides*

OMG! Where are you? Are you on the Gulf Coast? Stay safe!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'm kinda near Tampa Bay. The front of the weather band has apparently passed my area - I was the southernmost part of the warning zone and the warning ends at 2pm. Essentially they saw what looked like tornados forming just south of me and thus issued to statement for anywhere in the storm's path.

Always fun to have "THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM! MOVE INTO THE INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING...AWAY FROM WINDOWS. COVER YOUR HEAD AND BODY WITH PILLOWS OR BLANKETS." scroll across the TV while watching the soaps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom