Hurricane Dennis

SpongeScott

Original Poster
Here we go again....

I think I read last night that this is the earliest in recorded history that we have had four named storms.

From the NWS:

SATELLITE IMAGES SHOW AN IMPRESSIVE CLOUD PATTERN ASSOCIATED WITH DENNIS. THERE ARE PLENTY OF CYCLONICALLY-CURVED CONVECTIVE BANDS AND THE OUTFLOW IS WELL-ESTABLISHED IN ALL QUADRANTS. T-NUMBERS FROM TAFB AND AFWA ARE 3.5 ON THE DVORAK SCALE. OBJECTIVE DVORAK NUMBERS HAVE REACHED 4.0. SO...THE INITIAL INTENSITY HAS BEEN
ADJUSTED TO 55 KNOTS. THE SHEAR IS LOW AHEAD OF DENNIS. IN
FACT...DENNIS IS MOVING TOWARD AN AREA OF 20 KT BELOW AVERAGE WIND SHEAR...AS INDICATED IN THE EXPERIMENTAL TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION PRODUCT PROVIDED BY NOAA/CIRA. IN ADDITION...BOTH SHIPS AND THE GFDL MODELS SHOW INTENSIFICATION. THE LATTER BRINGS DENNIS TO 121 KNOTS AND 935 MB...AS THE CYCLONE MOVES BETWEEN CUBA AND THE CAYMAN ISLANDS. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS NOT AS AGGRESSIVE AS THE GFDL BUT CALLS FOR A MAJOR DANGEROUS HURRICANE IN THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO.

DENNIS IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST OR 300 DEGREES AT 14
KNOTS. THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 2
TO 3 DAYS. THERAFTER...DENNIS IS EXPECTED TO DECREASE IN FORWARD
SPEED AS IT APPROACHES THE WESTERN END OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE.
DYNAMICAL MODELS ARE TIGHTLY CLUSTERED UP TO 72 HOURS...INCREASING
THE CONFIDENCE IN THE FORECAST. THEREAFTER...MODELS DIVERGE AND ONE GROUP SHOWS A TRACK TOWARD THE CENTRAL GULF AND THE OTHER AN EARLIER TURN TO THE NORTH OVER THE EASTERN GULF. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONSENSUS.

Save for some rain and wind, WDW will skirt this one. Some of us will not be so lucky.

Kadee

SpongeScott said:
Here we go again....

I think I read last night that this is the earliest in recorded history that we have had four named storms....

And two of them have come right over me!!! Cindy is passing over as I type this. The wind is pretty bad. It's no where near "Ivan-like" but much, much worse than Arlene. Lots of areas are underwater and even more are without power. I don't think people were expecting Cindy to be this bad.

pinkrose

Kadee said:
And two of them have come right over me!!! Cindy is passing over as I type this. The wind is pretty bad. It's no where near "Ivan-like" but much, much worse than Arlene. Lots of areas are underwater and even more are without power. I don't think people were expecting Cindy to be this bad.
Stay safe down there Kadee!!! Cindy is visiting us now. I'll tell her hello for ya. :p

It's going to be interesting to see where Dennis shows up. Hopefully this won't turn into another Ivan. That's not something La,Al,Fl needs.

Disneydreaming

Cindy packed a pretty good punch, more than we were expecting, but nothing too major.

Dennis has strengthened since last night and we are preparing to evacuate by Sunday. Is anyone else on the gulf coast leaving?

Linda

LouDisney

Linda, did you guys lose power?
I have been reading the news on Nola.com. I lived in New Orleans for a few years and read the news everyday, keep up with events going on there.

I hope Dennis will stay far away from us all, though I know that is NOT going to happen.

pinkrose

It's looking like Sunday night is going to be a long night. :( Lisa, seems we're going to be on the east side. Not good. They are talking west of I-65 will have most problems. I fall into this group.

Kadee

Disneydreaming said:
Cindy packed a pretty good punch, more than we were expecting, but nothing too major.

Dennis has strengthened since last night and we are preparing to evacuate by Sunday. Is anyone else on the gulf coast leaving?

Linda

It depends on how strong it actually gets. Anywhere near Ivan strength and I'm on a plane to California to visit my mom! I will never stay through a storm like Ivan again. I was terrified!

pinkrose

Kadee said:
It depends on how strong it actually gets. Anywhere near Ivan strength and I'm on a plane to California to visit my mom! I will never stay through a storm like Ivan again. I was terrified!
Kadee, you be careful down there. Glad you plan to leave if Dennis gets like Ivan.

LIsa, same here. I'm keeping a close watch. The 33/40 weather blog is really good. Do you ever read it?

Kadee

pinkrose said:
Kadee, you be careful down there. Glad you plan to leave if Dennis gets like Ivan.

LIsa, same here. I'm keeping a close watch. The 33/40 weather blog is really good. Do you ever read it?

Yep, I learned my lesson with Ivan. You are not too far up, are you? This could be bad for you, too. BE SAFE! The projected path has shifted from Pensacola to Fort Morgan.....EXACTLY where Ivan hit. Gulf Shores is still trying to rebuild. It still looks horrible down there. It would be devasting to all the residents to have another big one hit. I have many students who are still living in temporary residences due to Ivan and many who JUST got back in their homes in the past two or three months. I am so worried about them and their families.

LouDisney

pinkrose said:

No, I have not, but I will check that out. Thanks :)
Kadee, good to hear you plan to leave. I do not blame you at all. Be safe.

Atta83

I just looked at the projected path and all and if it stays west then we will be on the wet side so its a nice rainy theme park days for me this weekend.

Tim G

Category 3 Dennis Prompts
Hurricane Warnings For Keys

Keys, Gulf Coast Brace Themselves As Dennis Nears

Evacuations Ordered For Parts Of Keys

UPDATED: 5:29 pm EDT July 7, 2005

The evacuation may be extended to the remainder of the Keys if the forecast track continues to shift in a more easterly direction. Mobile home residents throughout Monroe County are also mandated to evacuate. Tourists were told earlier Thursday to leave the area.

Forecasters said Dennis, now a dangerous category 3 hurricane, could hit somewhere along the Alabama-Florida coast as early as Saturday.

At 5 p.m. EDT, Hurricane Dennis was about 90 miles southeast of Cabo Cruz in southeastern Cuba and about 125 miles southwest of Guantanamo, Cuba. The storm has already triggered flooding that has cut off some rural Jamaica residents and forced the closure of the highway connecting Kingston to its international airport.

Dennis continues to strengthen with maximum sustained winds now near 115 mph, with higher gusts. Some additional strengthening is forecast before the center reaches central Cuba.

A hurricane warning is under way for the lower Florida Keys from the Seven Mile Bridge westward to the Dry Tortugas, and a tropical storm warning is in effect for the remainder of the Florida Keys and Florida Bay. A hurricane watch is in effect east of the Seven Mile Bridge.

A tropical storm watch is in effect for all of the southern Florida peninsula from Golden Beach southward on the east coast and south of Bonita Beach on the west coast.

Dennis is moving toward the northwest near 15 mph, and this motion is expected to continue for the next 24 hours. On this track, the center will pass very near Cabo Cruz Thursday night, and be very near the southern coast of central Cuba on Friday.

It's also threatening the coffee-producing mountains of Jamaica with 15 inches of rain, and it's expected to hit eastern Cuba, where the U.S. runs a prison camp for militant suspects. The military said it has a contingency plan for moving them if necessary, but doesn't think it'll come to that.

Dennis is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 5 to 10 inches over southern Hispaniola, Jamaica, eastern Cuba, and the Cayman Islands. Isolated maximum amounts of 15 to 20 inches are possible over the mountainous terrain of Jamaica. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides.

Storm surge flooding of 5 to 7 feet above normal tide levels, along with large and dangerous battering waves, are likely in areas of onshore winds along the southeast coast of Cuba east of Cabo Cruz. A much larger storm surge of near 20 feet is possible along the southern coast of Cuba west of Cabo Cruz. A storm surge of 3 to 6 feet is possible in the lower Florida Keys.

Jamaican officials have ordered schools closed so they can be used for shelters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom