human ashes in disney??

dreamfinder

My understanding is that if a CM observes someone spreading ashes, security needs to be called. Person is supposed to be ejected and possibly charged. Also, ride is supposed to be closed while a haz-mat team cleans up the remains. Not sure how true this is, but it is the response I have seen posted several times. (Not sure how they determine what stuff on Pirates or HM is supposed to be covered in ash/dust and what isn't but hey, what do I know?)

Gucci65

Hmmmm, maybe this is the part of the reason the flowers beds are so beautiful...........especially the Rose Garden in Epcot..........think about it.:lookaroun:ROFLOL:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That as well!! LOL - Horse dung and some human ashes - look what beautiful color variations they create!!

Actually on reflection it may be that they use the contents of all the diapers' that are being changed al fresco if the number of such sightings in the gross out thread is accurate.:dazzle:

Gucci65

Actually on reflection it may be that they use the contents of all the diapers' that are being changed al fresco if the number of such sightings in the gross out thread is accurate.:dazzle:

Ya know, in light of our current economic situation - that would definately be a money saving move. Using waste given freely virus buying packaged horse poo.

fosse76

Just to let you know.You have to get a "authorized to transport human remains"permit which can be provided by the funeral home or mortuary that performed the service.It is needed if you plan to take your family members ashes to your home,or to take them to a special place to be "scattered". It is illegal in most states to scatter your loved ones ashes/remains without a permit.When my grandmother passed away we had to do this.

Actually the laws vary by state, but you are correct that it is actually illegal to dispose of ashes on public land (to say nothing of privately-owned land). There are places that allow it, but as you said, you need to get a permit. Disposing of ashes at sea require paperwork with the EPA (ashes are a biohazard, to say nothing of the fact that the ashes include bone fragments, coffin material, and any medical implants that the deceased endured during life).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Actually the laws vary by state, but you are correct that it is actually illegal to dispose of ashes on public land (to say nothing of privately-owned land). There are places that allow it, but as you said, you need to get a permit. Disposing of ashes at sea require paperwork with the EPA (ashes are a biohazard, to say nothing of the fact that the ashes include bone fragments, coffin material, and any medical implants that the deceased endured during life).

Im assuming the US is the same as the UK when it comes to torching stiffs. The ashes are passed through a magnet to remove the metals, somethings like hips are just removed by hand, the remainder is then ground down in an industrial blender to leave a fine ash. Im not quite sure what bio hazard would remain after a corpse is burnt.

WhatJaneSays

Well for the sake of uniformity I'll reiterate something I posted almost a year ago on the same subject.

My father has long said that he wants a few grams of his ashes put into It's a Small World. I always thought he was joking until he pulled out a news article about others that had done the same thing. He advised me that he had done his research and that the quarter sized bit of him that he wanted put in the water would be no risk above and beyond that of normal soot that builds up in attractions. I told him that he's crazy, but I would be willing to go along with it so long as it won't be detrimental to the over all ride. I get that Disney is private property and it's illegal ... but I feel that Dad has sunk enough money into Disney that they can deal with a few grams of him.

Over the years I've seen and heard a lot of people that seem grossed out by the idea. I understand that. And maybe I'm just more in touch with the spiritual need to have a resting place. But it's not like these are angry people that want their ashes at Disney. These are happy souls inhabiting the World and I have no problem sharing my time in the parks with them.

courtfran

My father has always said that he wanted his ashes flushed down the toilet in Disney that way he'll end up all over WDW. I don't know if I'd actually be able to go through with it but I know he is actually serious when he says it.

fosse76

Im assuming the US is the same as the UK when it comes to torching stiffs. The ashes are passed through a magnet to remove the metals, somethings like hips are just removed by hand, the remainder is then ground down in an industrial blender to leave a fine ash. Im not quite sure what bio hazard would remain after a corpse is burnt.

Not sure. My understanding is that small medical implants remain with the ashes in the end. Larger bone fragments are pulverized, but my understanding is that they don't ground everything into a fine powder, so there could be larger fragments. Pulverized or not, it is still a biohazard.

T-1MILLION

Now if you dump an obvious large amount of remains in an attraction or place on property. They can in fact kick you out from the parks. I don't doubt that. I doubt any serious charges would happen but I would not suggest it to anyone but the whole Hazmat thing would not happen if they knew it was remains. The only way that would have to happen is if it was an undisclosed substance that was spilled that they were afraid of. The truth is Ashes are steril. They are burnt to the point where everything known to man dies. Just dust. There is no Biohazard or dangerous things left at that point.

I know it is not plesant to think about just because it s someone's remains but think of a lot of dust in an old book or cobwebs. Same dangers are in those things.

To prevent any further confusion or scare... If it were a Biohazzard the Funeral homes would not be able to give them to families in containers.

Everything is just dust.

1disneydood

I find it weird(even for me) that people would scatter "a little" ashes at WDW. So what happens to the rest of the ashes? I'd feel bad keping an urn on my mantle with my father's or mother's remains PURPOSELY incomplete in it. Just weirds me out. Either scatter them entirely, or not at all.

FWIW I just had to deal with creamating my dog of 17 years. And it actually now haunts me, thinking of it. Everyone thinks they can just scatter a loved one somewhere but I think some feelings may change while holding that box.:shrug: I'd naver scatter anyone I love just to be removed by filters, bio hazard team, then thrown away. Think about it long before you TRY to do it. It was hard enough to put her in a hole in the ground in my back yard. I think about her when it rains, when it's cold, etc. I couldn't deal with knowing she ended up in a filter then in the trash. It's just hard so don't think you can just dump a loved one just because they want to be in WDW.

Sorry for the morbid post.

T-1MILLION

I find it weird(even for me) that people would scatter "a little" ashes at WDW. So what happens to the rest of the ashes? I'd feel bad keping an urn on my mantle with my father's or mother's remains PURPOSELY incomplete in it. Just weirds me out. Either scatter them entirely, or not at all.

FWIW I just had to deal with creamating my dog of 17 years. And it actually now haunts me, thinking of it. Everyone thinks they can just scatter a loved one somewhere but I think some feelings may change while holding that box.:shrug: I'd naver scatter anyone I love just to be removed by filters, bio hazard team, then thrown away. Think about it long before you TRY to do it. It was hard enough to put her in a hole in the ground in my back yard. I think about her when it rains, when it's cold, etc. I couldn't deal with knowing she ended up in a filter then in the trash. It's just hard so don't think you can just dump a loved one just because they want to be in WDW.

Sorry for the morbid post.

Your feelings are only natural. Because that is what that part of death is. The soul has moved on but the remains are for us to cope with or follow through with final wishes. Either way, they help the living left behind.

I think people know if they dump their loved ones in a water ride or other body of water..or other places they will eventually be filtered out, but it is more the symbolic thing of it. Not the literal. If you want to look at in a literal way I can tell you things that you would feel better not knowing about the dust in the containers.

I help with NCIS. And have learned quite a bit about cremation.

and I hope it helps to know that your loved pet is in a better place :)

KingStefan

...Everything is just dust.

Bill: [approaching Socrates] How's it going? I'm Bill, this is Ted. We're from the future.
Socrates: [indicating himself] Socrates.
Ted: [whispering to Bill] Now what?
Bill: I dunno. Philosophize with him!
Ted: [clears his throat, to Socrates] "All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
[Socrates gives them a blank stare]
Bill: [scoops up a pile of dust from the basin before them and lets it run out of his hand] Dust.
[he blows the remainder away]
Bill: Wind.
Ted: [points at Socrates] Dude.
[Socrates gasps]
Socrates: [in greek with subtitles] Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives!

T-1MILLION

Bill: [approaching Socrates] How's it going? I'm Bill, this is Ted. We're from the future.
Socrates: [indicating himself] Socrates.
Ted: [whispering to Bill] Now what?
Bill: I dunno. Philosophize with him!
Ted: [clears his throat, to Socrates] "All we are is dust in the wind," dude.
[Socrates gives them a blank stare]
Bill: [scoops up a pile of dust from the basin before them and lets it run out of his hand] Dust.
[he blows the remainder away]
Bill: Wind.
Ted: [points at Socrates] Dude.
[Socrates gasps]
Socrates: [in greek with subtitles] Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives!

I heart you.

I was tempted to go that route as just saying All we are is dust in the wind, but something said I should not. Guess it was so you could quote one of the most excellent movies of all time! I knew as soon a I read Socrates(SO CRATES!) where it was going.

:)

sublimesting

My big afterlife plan is to have my wife and my ashes mixed togather and scattered at all of the places that meant something in our lives. Thought maybe our kids could take a road trip through their parents lives and do this and we would write down a running narrative of our lives for them to read at each place. Like a history tour..... Disney is one of these places for sure (multiple areas too)!

Look for me on every attraction!!!!!!

My wife says i think about things too much....:veryconfu

CBOMB

I cut off my left pinky finger in 2001, and buried it next to the Rose and Crown overlooking the World Showcase Lagoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom