How's the free dining going?

kybred72

We've never participated in the free dining promotion...until now! We leave in 11 days! :sohappy: :D :p

So those who've been to the park this year under free dining, did things go well for you? Accepted for your reservation with no problems? Any issues with server attitude? Did you ever tip, even tho it's supposed to be included?

Thanks!

We had the free dining the end of August. It went really great. We had tons of food (more than we could eat) and the service was good. Have a great trip and eat eat eat.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

We just got back and we used the free dining. It was great, more than enough food! Service was great and we were called within 5 minutes of checking in at most places and sometimes immediately. We always tipped a little additional because of the great service.
Have a great trip :wave:

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

The people booking the ADRs over the phone don't know if you booked with the free dining promotion.

The hosts doing the seating at the restaurants don't know if you have free dining or not.

The food servers don't know if you have free dining or not.

And by the way, the servers love the DDP (whether or not you paid for it) because they get an 18% tip on the total. People tend to order more food and more expensive food when they don't have to pay out-of-pocket for it ... a higher bill means a higher guaranteed tip for the server.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

The free dining was incredible! We ate so much at the Table Service and Counter Service restaurants that we snacked much less than usual. We had good service in all cases and tipped extra at a couple places for the exceptional service.

Upvote 0

Christi22222

Free dining - August 27th to to Sept 3rd. It was really a very positive experience. We had very good service everywhere. Reservations went well. We did tip extra at a few places where the servers went above and beyond, but not at all places. No one was providing us poor service, but not necessarily above and beyond. I'd say 4 extra tips vs. 3 not, I think. I would throw out there that the biggest pleasant surprise was Raglan Road in Downtown Disney. Oh my gosh - sooooo goood!! My family is still talking about that meal. Exceptional food. Great atmosphere. Fantastic service. Go there! A perennial favorite that didn't fail - Wolfgang Puck Express. What a deal for a COUNTER SERVICE?!?! (Get the half chicken and garlic mashed potatoes.) Another surprise was the Garden Grill. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Two that we tried after years of hearing about were a bit disappointing: Le Cellier and Coral Reef. Neither was bad, mind you. Just didn't meet up to the standards of the other resaurants or the expectations from hearing about them. Final note: I realize this has been said but it bears repeating - GET RESERVATIONS!!! We heard TONS of families being told that there was nothing available that day, nor the entire week they were there! That included my hotel's restaurant as we were at Wilderness Lodge. Never mind odd times - NOTHING. I heard a lot of very angry folks. They even posted someone outside of Le Cellier to tell folks that there was nothing available for weeks and weeks and they WOULD NOT even put them on a waiting list. I was soooo glad I had read on this site to make my sit downs. I may have had to take some second choices, but I had a place to eat!! We just opened our minds and tried some new places. Have fun to all those that are yet to go. You'll enjoy it.

Upvote 0

meryll83

18 days until 2 weeks of free dining - can't wait!

We have probably only booked about 7 table service meals, we were hoping to sort some out once we were there / walk in.

Do you think this is unwise?

However, on the plus side, we are travelling on the last day that free dining was available to UK guests, and in the US I think you could only have the free dining for so many days (not the 2 weeks we have), so should things have quietened down by then?

I'm worrying now whether I need to make more reservations, but I don't want to tie us down all holiday to having to be in a certain place at a certain time...

Upvote 0
If I were you, I'd make my ADRs now. Otherwise, you'll be eating at counter service. ADR's don't tie yoy down. You don't have to eat at the ADR restaurant if you don't want to.

Upvote 0

goldswas

If I were you, I'd make my ADRs now. Otherwise, you'll be eating at counter service. ADR's don't tie yoy down. You don't have to eat at the ADR restaurant if you don't want to.

Do you know if you are able to trade down a Table service meal for a counter service meal? I have booked for Sept 4th to 19th next year (2008) and have the free Dining plan. Don't really want to be tied to ADR's as that means planning and there are 6 of us going (chaos would follow). If we could have all counter service meals that would be perfect for us.
My kids all 19 to 26 all prefer burger and hotdogs.

Apart from worrying about Dinner reservations I am sooo excited I'm not sure I can wait a whole year.

:wave: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

goldswas you can use table service for counter service but you're loosing a lot of value to the plan. If that doesn't bother you, go for it!

I'm leaving in 10 days!!! I was wondering about crowds? Is it as predicted - crowded at restaurants, short waits for rides?

Upvote 0

mary219

Do you know if you are able to trade down a Table service meal for a counter service meal? I have booked for Sept 4th to 19th next year (2008) and have the free Dining plan. Don't really want to be tied to ADR's as that means planning and there are 6 of us going (chaos would follow). If we could have all counter service meals that would be perfect for us.

Apart from worrying about Dinner reservations I am sooo excited I'm not sure I can wait a whole year.

You will get sick and tired of counter meals ,make a few adrs,you won't be sorry you did.This year they offered 2 snacks or a lanyard with a collectible pin if you used a table service for counter service.I almost did this,but got lucky and was able to make an adr for chef mickeys for bkfast while i was already there.

Upvote 0

mary219

The free dining was incredible! We ate so much at the Table Service and Counter Service restaurants that we snacked much less than usual. We had good service in all cases and tipped extra at a couple places for the exceptional service.
We did the same thing.and yes it was AWESOME!!!:lol:

Upvote 0

goldswas

You will get sick and tired of counter meals ,make a few adrs,you won't be sorry you did.This year they offered 2 snacks or a lanyard with a collectible pin if you used a table service for counter service.I almost did this,but got lucky and was able to make an adr for chef mickeys for bkfast while i was already there.

Thanks thats really useful to know. I was planning on making a couple of ADR's. Every time I have been before I always wanted to eat at the San Angel in Mexico at Epcot it looks so nice. The kids were a lot younger then and hadn't developed the taste for Mexican food, now they are older I may make a reservation there. We did Chef Mickeys for breakfast about 5 years ago, I never realized napkin waving could be so much fun. (Do they still do that). Sharon:wave:

Upvote 0

mary219

Thanks thats really useful to know. I was planning on making a couple of ADR's. Every time I have been before I always wanted to eat at the San Angel in Mexico at Epcot it looks so nice. The kids were a lot younger then and hadn't developed the taste for Mexican food, now they are older I may make a reservation there. We did Chef Mickeys for breakfast about 5 years ago, I never realized napkin waving could be so much fun. (Do they still do that). Sharon:wave:

yes,chef mickeys was so much fun.I want to have dinner there next year as well.I also plan on the san angel inn next year as well.I havent eaten there in years (also because of the kids)But I want to go again after seeing it this year when visiting epcot.It is a pretty cool looking restaurant.we will be there ( POP century) from aug 30-sept 7( for now-if i have my way i will tack a few days onto the front end of my trip--:animwink: )

Upvote 0

mary219

"Wolfgang Puck Express. What a deal for a COUNTER SERVICE"

COUNTER SERVICE<<<<:mad: I knew I should have asked when i was in dtd.Well,earl of sandwich was ok,but still......Now I know for next year-ask if you are not sure you may be surprised

Upvote 0

natolij02

I dont think you can trade down your table service to counter service as they track everything so I would call DDP to find out if you can or not. If you dont want to do table service everynight you can do table service for lunch or trade in 2 table service for special dinners like the character dinners and such.

Upvote 0

natolij02

We had the free DDP while down there and really had no problems other than one server who became unpleasant half way through our meal. Other than that our food was good at each resturaunt. Coral Reef the food was good but we were there at a busy time (Labor Day) and a busy time of day so we did have to wait about 30 minutes for our table even though we had ADR's. It wasnt real a big deal though, once seated, our service was fast and pleasant. The food portions were a bit smaller there than the other resturaunts we ate at but it was still plenty of food to fill up on.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom