How's That High Stroller Treatment?

MousDad

Original Poster
I think you misinterpreted my post, as I was referring to rental strollers. Those haven't gone away at all like he'd have you believe, but since most people reading the article aren't going to be at WDW in the very near future he can get away with lying to better make his point about Disney's business model.

Yes, you are right. I did misinterpret it when you said "there are still plenty of strollers out in the parks." I see how that clearly refers to rentals. :rolleyes:

I'll post to Kevin on MiceChat that many people are saying he's wrong, and see what he comes back with.

MousDad

Original Poster
Kevin was nice enough to reply to my request for clarification. He said he stands by his comment, but he does clarify that he has not been to the MK in a few weeks to observe.

He stated in his reply that Epcot has almost no rentals. The drop at DHS is less noticeable. And he says that DAK still has a lot of rentals.

Just relaying what he stated.

Enderikari

Kevin was nice enough to reply to my request for clarification. He said he stands by his comment, but he does clarify that he has not been to the MK in a few weeks to observe.

Just a heads up. Kevin Yee is perhaps the WORST "source" of any sort of information, especially when it comes to ANYTHING about Walt Disney World. The only time he writes unbiased articles is when the article is completely misinformed, or just completely made up.

Citing Kevin Yee for any sort of information is like interviewing a redneck about a tornado. He can tell something happened, but actually describing it is beyond his realm of comprehension

wvdisneyfamily

Just a heads up. Kevin Yee is perhaps the WORST "source" of any sort of information, especially when it comes to ANYTHING about Walt Disney World. The only time he writes unbiased articles is when the article is completely misinformed, or just completely made up.

Citing Kevin Yee for any sort of information is like interviewing a redneck about a tornado. He can tell something happened, but actually describing it is beyond his realm of comprehension

Can we refrain from the nasty stereotypes please? :mad:

Enderikari

Can we refrain from the nasty stereotypes please? :mad:

:wave: I'm from Alabama,

There are many people from the South, of all races, genders, education levels, and speaking abilities. I said nothing about people from a specific area ("Such as people from _____ county are rednecks") or people of a certain background ("Home schooled people from ______ are rednecks"), or people who live in certain housing units ("If you live in a one-story townhome, then you are a redneck")

So the argument boils down to who did I actually stereotype? There are groups of people out there who describe themselves as rednecks. Who delight in purchasing t-shirts, decal flags, written music all sporting emblems of the redneck culture. A traditional joke, told by many of the rednecks I know, deal with one's response to a tornado; which is actually a joke quite prevalent through much of society.

Communication is a process by which a message gets conveyed by a medium, and what message is conveyed past a dystopic factor known as noise. I believe that a culturally recognized and accepted joke would best convey my message to the greatest number of people.

However, after typing all that, if you are still offended, then I whole-heartedely apologize and promise to avoid such stereotypes in the future

wvdisneyfamily

:wave: I'm from Alabama,

There are many people from the South, of all races, genders, education levels, and speaking abilities. I said nothing about people from a specific area ("Such as people from _____ county are rednecks") or people of a certain background ("Home schooled people from ______ are rednecks"), or people who live in certain housing units ("If you live in a one-story townhome, then you are a redneck")

So the argument boils down to who did I actually stereotype? There are groups of people out there who describe themselves as rednecks. Who delight in purchasing t-shirts, decal flags, written music all sporting emblems of the redneck culture. A traditional joke, told by many of the rednecks I know, deal with one's response to a tornado; which is actually a joke quite prevalent through much of society.

Communication is a process by which a message gets conveyed by a medium, and what message is conveyed past a dystopic factor known as noise. I believe that a culturally recognized and accepted joke would best convey my message to the greatest number of people.

However, after typing all that, if you are still offended, then I whole-heartedely apologize and promise to avoid such stereotypes in the future

I'm definitely not offended now. I had a very negative encounter with someone making rude comments about people from the South.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=2711661#post2711661
I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to any reference to Southerners. I guess I feel like only people from the South can talk about people from the South. :lol: I guess I should have checked out your profile to see where you were from.
I'm sorry if I offended you. I was honestly trying to think of a way to edit my post and make it funny.

MousDad

Original Poster

:snore:

NewfieFan

Chape (and any other CM who wants to weigh in),

While I don't have any kids (nor do I plan on having any anytime soon), I have a question about chaining strollers... I know and understand why they can't be chained to fences and poles for the obvious reasons you give.

But what about chaining or locking the stroller to itself? I'm envisioning a bike chain around one wheel and the handle, or a padlock of some kind around the bulk of the tire. It would act like a "boot" that they put on illegally parked car tires.
On the stroller, it would make it near impossible for another Guest to take it and use it for themselves, but if a CM needed to move it, they could lift the back wheels off the ground and roll it around on the front wheels. (Or perhaps lock the front wheels so that the easier-to-steer-with back tires are free to roll)

What would a CM reaction to that setup be?

-Rob

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing!?! I've never had my strollers stolen before but I'm starting to get concerned. I'll be bringing two (more expensive) strollers this time. I was wondering if I could chain them together? The CMs would still be able to move them but it would be pointless for someone to steal two strollers chained together.

I'd like to hear what the CMs have to say about this idea...

Chape19714

Alright everyone, please understand that chaining strollers in NEVER a good idea, CMs do need to move them, and often times very quickly. When you have to handle hundreds of strollers in one location, even strollers chained to each other can become a headache, and slow down the process.

Having strollers stollen at Disney Parks is a very rare occurance, most of the time, it is a simple misunderstanding, and the stroller is returned. If the stroller you decide to bring to the parks is THAT important to you, request a rider switch pass or use Fastpass tickets so one can ride and one can watch the stroller.

NewfieFan

Alright everyone, please understand that chaining strollers in NEVER a good idea, CMs do need to move them, and often times very quickly. When you have to handle hundreds of strollers in one location, even strollers chained to each other can become a headache, and slow down the process.

Having strollers stollen at Disney Parks is a very rare occurance, most of the time, it is a simple misunderstanding, and the stroller is returned. If the stroller you decide to bring to the parks is THAT important to you, request a rider switch pass or use Fastpass tickets so one can ride and one can watch the stroller.

Thank you for your reply!

So is there anything we are allowed to do to prevent stroller theft? Requesting a rider switch pass or using Fastpass tickets aren't the answer every time. There are times we park the strollers and enjoy attractions together. If we had to do everything seperate we'd never accomplish anything in the run of a day! I have no choice but to bring the strollers I'm bringing. I like to have a stroller that reclines for my daughter (so she can nap), my son is a little older and not all strollers will accomodate him, and I like for them to fold up small (for the buses)! I would bring a cheaper one in a heartbeat but the cheaper strollers just don't give me those options. So to make my life easier while on vacation I bring the slightly more expensive strollers!

Chape19714

Thank you for your reply!

So is there anything we are allowed to do to prevent stroller theft? Requesting a rider switch pass or using Fastpass tickets aren't the answer every time. There are times we park the strollers and enjoy attractions together. If we had to do everything seperate we'd never accomplish anything in the run of a day! I have no choice but to bring the strollers I'm bringing. I like to have a stroller that reclines for my daughter (so she can nap), my son is a little older and not all strollers will accomodate him, and I like for them to fold up small (for the buses)! I would bring a cheaper one in a heartbeat but the cheaper strollers just don't give me those options. So to make my life easier while on vacation I bring the slightly more expensive strollers!
Like I said, Stoller Theft is such a rare occurance at WDW, that you shouldn't even worry about it, just put a balloon or some personal item on it to prevent the confusion. And on the .001% chance the stroller is taken, We're more than happy to help resolve the situation, along with Security.

Mrs.PhD

Like I said, Stoller Theft is such a rare occurance at WDW, that you shouldn't even worry about it, just put a balloon or some personal item on it to prevent the confusion. And on the .001% chance the stroller is taken, We're more than happy to help resolve the situation, along with Security.

This has always been my impression of the situation, and I have spend a lot of time at WDW with a stroller and have had many friends who have also. Most people who are there are out to have a fun day, not steal a stroller to make profit. The resale market for them just isn't that great. :lookaroun Besides I would never take the time to lock down my stroller before leaving it, I have a hard enough time catching up to the kids running into the ride as it is. :)

We leave a lot on the stroller too, but just make sure it isn't something we could not live without or anyone else would find valuable.

Boomdog15

We have been to Disney about 7 times in the last 12 years & have only had someone take our rental stroller once. It was not a big deal as we just went back to the rental location & explained the situation. We showed our receipt and they gave us another.

Chaining or locking them up? I've never seen it & would never had even thought of it. Wow.:shrug:

coasterphil

We have been to Disney about 7 times in the last 12 years & have only had someone take our rental stroller once. It was not a big deal as we just went back to the rental location & explained the situation. We showed our receipt and they gave us another.

Chaining or locking them up? I've never seen it & would never had even thought of it. Wow.:shrug:
They aren't talking about locking up a rental stroller, but a personal one.

Dwarful

Make it very personal. Something that will stand out. Wrap the handles or stroller legs in bright colored tape, attach a specific design of golf towel (favorite team, etc) (that can come in really handy). Only once in the 12 years we have had children have we had a stroller stollen at a Disney park and that was at DL in CA. They weren't helpful in recovery. They suggested we rent a stroller..uh, we could have figured that much out. But honestly, with the thousands of strollers in the parks how could security find one average looking stroller?

mbtohill

Just got back from a great week...hit all the parks, and rented a double for 5 days out of the 7 we were there....DEFINITELY less rental strollers in the parks especially doubles....saw a lot of parents squeezing two kids into a single (one in front of the other) and saw a lot more personal strollers.

Interestingly also noticed for the first time (maybe because I was paying attention to it) people waiting at stroller turn in sites and trying to take strollers that were turned in before the CM's would notice. Most were very politely asked if they had a stamped receipt.

I have to say that the higher rental prices are having an impact on the number of rented doubles. But still thought it was worth every penny for my two girls.

MousDad

Original Poster
Just got back from a great week...hit all the parks, and rented a double for 5 days out of the 7 we were there....DEFINITELY less rental strollers in the parks especially doubles....saw a lot of parents squeezing two kids into a single (one in front of the other) and saw a lot more personal strollers.

Interestingly also noticed for the first time (maybe because I was paying attention to it) people waiting at stroller turn in sites and trying to take strollers that were turned in before the CM's would notice. Most were very politely asked if they had a stamped receipt.

I have to say that the higher rental prices are having an impact on the number of rented doubles. But still thought it was worth every penny for my two girls.

Ouch, talk about unintended consequences of a stupid decision. I do not think this behavior is justified, but it does represent the behavior of people who are ticked off.

Glad you had a good time, BTW, and thanks for the report.

Mrs.PhD

We just got back too. Had a great trip (we had our double, peg pergo Aira twin.) Had no issues with it what so ever.) We did see a lot less rented strollers, but the amount of strollers seemed the same. More personal strollers and a lot of high end ones too.

I was surprised that I didn't see more people using the cheapos they sell here.

At the end of the day there were a lot of abandoned rental ones. Just took the name off and people left them for other people to use I guess.

carenyllie

Honestly, I didn't know there had been a price increase before I went last week. Do I think it's rather costly for a stroller rental? Of course...BUT...it's DISNEY WORLD! It's my vacation and things cost what they do, but I PLAN and BUDGET! I will spend a total of about $3000 for a week at Disney, so $200 for a stroller rental is not going to make or break my trip. We rented a double and it was perfect for my 3 year old and my 10 and 8 year olds to take turns. Heck, I even snagged a small trip in it. I'm a penny pincher at home and I refuse to be one on vacation. My kids don't have the "gimmies" very bad ever and get just about whatever they'd like to get on vacation...because it's not like that at home. I actually bought more snacks and wasteful souvenirs for myself than they did! I actually bought ONE balloon the whole time and the meals were filling enough for the kids that I bought 2 buckets of popcorn all week and we didn't even finish them! And it wasn't because I had to say "no", they didn't even ask! Anyway, bringing my own stroller is definitely not worth the hassle to save a few bucks on vacation! I want as little stress and hassle as possible and am willing to pay for it....maybe just like the other thousands of people who rent the strollers there every day.

(p.s. I apologize in advance if I sound harsh...I don't mean to. I understand that everyone vacations differently and values their money in different ways as well. The above is just my opinion and I respect that yours may be different.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom