How's Shula's Restaurant or any others at Swan

Billy Bob

Original Poster
Can anyone give some reviews on dinner at Shula's restaurant at the Swan....also any other restaurant at the Swan.....

Thanks for your time,

Bob

heartodisney

The Complete Idiot's Guide to WDW says..."The national chain of high-end steakhouses has found a home at the Dolphin hotel. They serve the best steak in all of WD, with the entree prices that all start at 35$ and go higher, especially when you add sides. There's not much else to say, except that the ambiance is that clubby, dark-mahogany vibe that has become the hallmark of most national high-end steakhouse chains. This is a great place to close a business deal and is a popular destination for those on property for a convention who can rely on their expense accounts to pick up the tab(which is sure to hit close to $75 per person when all is said and done). If steak is your thing and cost is not an issue, there's just no better place to go."
This book gives them a 4.5 star rating out of 5. No breakfast or lunch served.

Man, I should not have posted this before dinner...that made me hungry...

Sweet Melissa

Isn't Shula's at the Dolphin? Maybe I'm misremembering because I associate Don Shula with the Miami Dolphins. Anyway, I've only been to a few restaurants at the Swan & Dolphin.

Shula's: I really enjoyed my meal here, but found the atmosphere a little strange. It's a very nice restaurant, with all of the ambiance one would expect from an upscale steakhouse. I just had a hard time reconciling the stuffiness of the staff with the lighthearted football pictures and memorabilia everywhere. It was difficult to keep from laughing. I'm glad that we went and we had a great evening, but it's not high on our list of restaurants to revisit. There are other great steakhouses (and great steaks) on property.

Kimonos: I've never seen Kimonos during karaoke. I imagine it would be a blast, though. We went once for an early sushi dinner and had a good time without additional entertainment. Drinks were good and the food was delicious. We only ordered a few maki rolls but we liked everything we tried. I remember the tuna in particular being outstanding. I don't think you'll find better sushi on property, save maybe California Grill, but that's an entirely different price point.

The Fountain: Ate here for lunch once. It's just standard salads and sandwiches. I can't remember the meal as well as I remember the people sitting at the table next to us. There are a lot of business conventions at the Swan and Dolphin, and there were a bunch of businessmen breaking for lunch at the table next to ours. They were pretty obnoxious. I might have to try it again some time to see if the food it more memorable without a table full of cell phone conversations going on a few feet away. Somehow, I doubt it will be, however.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My dad ate at Shula's and was very impressed with it.

I've eaten at all the restaurants at the Swan and enjoyed them very much, but have never been to any of the restaurants in the Dolphin.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The food at Shula's is excellent, but it does have a very "manly" vibe to it. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

gatordoc

Shula's is outstanding! Pricy, but just about the best steaks available anywhere.
Avoid Il Mulino if you have any true appreciation for Italian food. The original in NYC is one of the greatest restaurants in the world, but it's a travesty that the one at WDW is sullying their name. Overpriced slop for conventioneers... :hurl:

Sweet Melissa

Avoid Il Mulino if you have any true appreciation for Italian food. The original in NYC is one of the greatest restaurants in the world, but it's a travesty that the one at WDW is sullying their name. Overpriced slop for conventioneers... :hurl:
Il Mulino is the only Italian restaurant at WDW at which I haven't dined. I think that's true of all of their Italian restaurants. None of them are anything special. It's kind of disappointing that none of them really get it right, considering the simplicity of the cuisine.

Billy Bob

Original Poster
It looks like we may be changing course (pun intended) and trying the Flying Fish instead..and trying for counter seating.:slurp:

heartodisney

It looks like we may be changing course (pun intended) and trying the Flying Fish instead..and trying for counter seating.:slurp:
picture.php
:ROFLOL:Did we TMI you! :lol:

Billy Bob

Original Poster
picture.php
:ROFLOL:Did we TMI you! :lol:

NO not at all.......but looking at the pictures of Shula's I don't want to spend a king's ransom and feel like I'm in a sports bar......and the Flying Fish is so close to the Swan so it looks like a good choice for the evening we arrive.

Bob

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Just to get it on the record, lest anyone think I have no taste in Italian food, the last time I ate in the location that is apparently now Il Mulino, it was Palio, which was good. :D

Billy Bob

Original Poster
The TV is in the bar... the "posters" are paintings, done with understated emphasis in the dining area. This isn't a Sports Bar... it's a restaurant owned by Don Shula, who is associated with pro football.

You are NOT going to get onion rings, chicken wings, and sports bar barf-on-the-floor at Shulas. Go or don't go... it's a quality restaurant.

OH, OK. I was just going by what I could see on their site....thanks for setting me straight.......BTW I am well aware of Don Shula and his 1972 undefeated Miami Dolphins as they are/were the rival of my home town team the Buffalo Bills who no longer compete in the NFL.....Bob Griese, Mercury Morris, Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick were some of the best to be had in the NFL....true gentlemen on and off the field, well maybe not Morris. Several of the '72 Dolphins are in the NFL Hall of Fame including Shula. (hated that team and man but respect all of them now)

Bob

heartodisney

OH, OK. I was just going by what I could see on their site....thanks for setting me straight.......BTW I am well aware of Don Shula and his 1972 undefeated Miami Dolphins as they are/were the rival of my home town team the Buffalo Bills who no longer compete in the NFL.....Bob Griese, Mercury Morris, Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick were some of the best to be had in the NFL....true gentlemen on and off the field, well maybe not Morris. Several of the '72 Dolphins are in the NFL Hall of Fame including Shula. (hated that team and man but respect all of them now)

Bob
Just like the guys on ESPN will say..."Do you hear that???....POP....it's the champange when any teams that goes into the year with at least one loss!" :lol:

gatordoc

Just to get it on the record, lest anyone think I have no taste in Italian food, the last time I ate in the location that is apparently now Il Mulino, it was Palio, which was good. :D

Oh, Palio was a different story. Wonderful restaurant. The only decent Italian food ever on property, but sadly gone...

worldfanatic

Shulas is very high end, and very impressive.
On our trip last month, we took advantage of a special price fixe deal during the first hour they're open. (5PM-6PM).
$39.99 per person for appetizer, main course, side, and shared dessert.
Very good deal. Probably seasonal, but worth checking into.

Of course, considering the $12.00 cocktails, tax and tip, we still ended up spending well over $100. But it was a great experience and delicious!

Without a doubt better than the Yachtman's steakhouse at the Yacht club!

And I agree with Trotsky, despite the football theme, it's nothing like a sports bar. It's got a dark, masculine feel though.

Billy Bob

Original Poster
MANY years ago the bride and I had a fantastic porterhouse steak at Yachtman's steakhouse at the Yacht club. We were allowed to share the beast without a plate charge.......has anyone done that at Shula's or do they have a plate charge.........

Bob

Billy Bob

Original Poster
Well that sounds great......locally we have a great rib place that has now charges a plate charge to share.....since their full ribs are way too much we use to share.....but now, after being charged a plate charge we order take out......so instead of us buying 3-5 beers we get the ribs to go and don't pay $3 per beer and no tip is now involved saving us even more money...so who's the winner here........not the rib place......:<(

Bob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom