News Howling dog returns to the WDW Haunted Mansion's queue

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Hei-Hei clucking sound effect CONFIRMED for HM graveyard during daytime.

I was thinking more like raven "caws" or the sounds of bats squeaking and fluttering under the queue awning. Or... a bat on a stick.
Come to think of it. Are there any sound effects around the hearse or entry gate? Can't remember.

ToTBellHop

I was thinking more like raven "caws" or the sounds of bats squeaking and fluttering under the queue awning. Or... a bat on a stick.
Come to think of it. Are there any sound effects around the hearse or entry gate? Can't remember.
Which spooky animals are active during daylight hours?

_ZJ

It is not that loud. It can only be heard around the family plot area of the queue.

I know. It used to be so much louder. From 1971 to 2011 you could hear it all the way from the Polynesian. I do miss when it was louder. It was much more foreboding. Unfortunately, the volume was turned down in 2011 when the interactive queue was added. The queue might not be to blame though. Someone told me that some employees thought the howl was annoying and requested that its volume be lowered. I can't confirm if that's true, but it's possible.
Heard it from the now extinct Sunset Point at Poly in 2012.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Which spooky animals are active during daylight hours?

I thought I just stated a few examples lol. Ravens cawing. (on the HM Sound FX record) Bats being disturbed? A cat? Doesn't have to be animals sounds though or even sound effects. A creaking gate, wind noise, etc are all perfectly acceptable in the day time. As for other effects, how about some mist or rolling fog? I was partly joking - but I wouldn't mind seeing them add more oomph to the daytime. If for no other reason than to entertain guests that don't want to be bothered with the cemetery arcade.

I'd like to see more done with the hearse. But, let's get back to the Howling Dog audio. If we're after quintessential Haunted Mansion sounds; I guess the best daytime sound would be the knell of a Requiem bell. I'm sure Imagineering could cobble something together. But, I think a murder of cawing crows would have the biggest impact for daytime, IMO. FWIW.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I thought I just stated a few examples lol. Ravens cawing. (on the HM Sound FX record) Bats being disturbed? A cat? Doesn't have to be animals sounds though or even sound effects. A creaking gate, wind noise, etc are all perfectly acceptable in the day time. As for other effects, how about some mist or rolling fog? I was partly joking - but I wouldn't mind seeing them add more oomph to the daytime. If for no other reason than to entertain guests that don't want to be bothered with the cemetery arcade.

I'd like to see more done with the hearse. But, let's get back to the Howling Dog audio. If we're after quintessential Haunted Mansion sounds; I guess the best daytime sound would be the knell of a Requiem bell. I'm sure Imagineering could cobble something together. But, I think a murder of cawing crows would have the biggest impact for daytime, fwiw.
I think the hardest part in believing the crows are real is that you wouldn’t see them. At least the dog is clearly placed behind the mansion.

I really don’t mind daytime quiet. I’d love the moving candles in the outside windows that they have in Paris.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I think the hardest part in believing the crows are real is that you wouldn’t see them. At least the dog is clearly placed behind the mansion.

I really don’t mind daytime quiet. I’d love the moving candles in the outside windows that they have in Paris.

Ghost Crows, Bro. Ghost Crows!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Honest question: is the raven on the ride dead or just a creep? Some animals have eyes that glow red in certain lighting at night...

Don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say dead. He's rather lifeless in the mansion. He was supposed to be the counterpoint to the Ghost Host with his own dialog if memory serves. Hmm maybe he is alive. Unless by some fantastical logic ravens can only speak if they're ghosts or inhabited by ghosts. Boy this discussion took a turn! lol Fair question. IDK? Shame the raven character isn't used more prominently. Same goes for the One Eyed Cat.

ToTBellHop

Don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say dead. He's rather lifeless in the mansion. He was supposed to be the counterpoint to the Ghost Host with his own dialog if memory serves. Hmm maybe he is alive. Unless by some fantastical logic ravens can only speak if they're ghosts or inhabited by ghosts. Boy this discussion took a turn! lol Fair question. IDK? Shame the raven character isn't used more prominently. Same goes for the One Eyed Cat.
Hmmm...

Looks alive. Just with a...supernaturally extended lifespan.

nelsonj3

This is amazing news! I'll have to check it out the next time I'm there. I think it's more fitting at night anyway, and it will definitely bring back memories to hear it again. I wonder how the sound effect was made as well. Is it of an actual wolf or dog howling?

ToTBellHop

This is amazing news! I'll have to check it out the next time I'm there. I think it's more fitting at night anyway, and it will definitely bring back memories to hear it again. I wonder how the sound effect was made as well. Is it of an actual wolf or dog howling?
It’s Walt Disney dream-talking.

Lillian never slept.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Hmmm...View attachment 392907

Looks alive. Just with a...supernaturally extended lifespan.

Oof. They need to pinspot that thing. I'd forgotten just how many places he shows up within the mansion, often cast in darkness, a blink and you miss it mansion addition. All the more reason to reinforce his birdy presence outside the mansion in the queue. Hear him outside but don't see him until inside. It could work. Especially if he's believed to be watching us as the "Story" would imply. But enough of that armchair nonsense.

Yay Howling Dog. Hope it's one of many long overdue improvements heading to the Haunted Mansion for the 50th.

TJJohn12

Long Forgotten has a really great post on this. Short answer from there? Alive, but possessed by an evil spirit wishing to “better” itself - aka possess a guest:

GlacierGlacier

While we're on the subject of the exterior - does anyone have any information about the pan in the gutter of the facade?

When in the queue and facing the mansion, there's a pan that's been stuck in the gutters on the roof for a bit. I have no idea if that's intentional, or how long it's been there, but it's there and it's a pan.

I don't have any photos on me at the moment, but I wish I did.

Edit: found one on Instagram.
IMG_20190725_082807_055.jpg

ToTBellHop

While we're on the subject of the exterior - does anyone have any information about the pan in the gutter of the facade?

When in the queue and facing the mansion, there's a pan that's been stuck in the gutters on the roof for a bit. I have no idea if that's intentional, or how long it's been there, but it's there and it's a pan.

I don't have any photos on me at the moment, but I wish I did.

Edit: found one on Instagram.
View attachment 392966
There’s a ghost in the ballroom named Peter. You’ve found Peter’s pan. He’d have to fly to get it. Oh, what I’d give to see Peter’s pan flight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom