How Young is too young?

mickey&me

I sort of focused in on the fact that your wife thinks the baby's too young. To me (as a wife) this says that your wife may not enjoy the trip right now with a little one. If you're not both on board with the decision to go, nobody's going to be very happy to be there. If one of you has "talked the other one into it," it may not take many or serious problems to bring out the "I told you so's." Remember that even though the child may not remember the trip, parents will, and a bad trip can be worse in the long run than a postponed trip.

elizs77

I do want to add that for this trip, we do not have very high expectations since we just don't know what to expect with the 10 month old. We're at the Poly because we wanted the convenience of the monorail in the event we needed to high tail it back to the hotel very quickly. I have no expectation of fitting everything in. If we do, great; if not, no harm.

I just can't wait to see how she interacts with the characters myself!

Disneykidder

This summer will be my DS third trip and he will be 4 1/2 at travel time. We went when was 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and now 4 1/2. He still remembers some from his first trip. It's a family preference/experience. I think that the younger they go, the more they will appreciate it later. My son is a Dis nut...everyone can see it already. He talks about the characters/rides/food all of the time.

For a 10 year old, they may not want to go on the little rides that a 4 year old may want to. When my son is older, he will want to still ride them, as he will be used to it. Peersonally, my first trip was when I was 18 and I wish it were sooner.

The memories my DH and I have with our son at Disney are priceless. I try to expose my son to so many things and WDW is one of them.:)

I do want to add that for this trip, we do not have very high expectations since we just don't know what to expect with the 10 month old. We're at the Poly because we wanted the convenience of the monorail in the event we needed to high tail it back to the hotel very quickly. I have no expectation of fitting everything in. If we do, great; if not, no harm.

I just can't wait to see how she interacts with the characters myself!

I think that under one age range is one of the best for character interaction. They're too young to realize that they should be afraid of something big and furry, they just want hug them! When I was friends with Mickey that was my favorite age to see and I didn't see as many unpleasent reactions as you do in the toddler phase.

disneychick53

Hey all -

New to the site. I've been a DisneyHead since my first trip in '90 when I was 10. Now I have my own daughter and can't wait to share Disney with her. The issue is she just turned 1 on Friday. So as the thread title states - How young is too young?

If I had it my way, I would be going this summer, but DW thinks she's too young. I'm trying to push for a summer '09 visit, again, DW say's 2 is too young.

So any thoughts on this? I know this is one of those questions that a lot of people mull over, so I wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks,

Dave
Started taking my grandchild at 13 months never to early for disney she is now 10 and we been 29 times

sbkline

In my opinion, if they are too young to talk, to walk on their own for extended periods of time, or participate in many activities (other than just being along for the ride because you can't just leave them behind while you do the activity), then they are too young to take. Our son just turned two last Friday, and we left him with his grandparents in April when we went, and we left him with his grandparents last year as well. We consider a child to be too young at two, three is "iffy" and around four on up would be old enough. Under three and all you can do is just push them around in a stroller. They really can't do too much or experience too much. You can't really count on having a good meal without wondering if your child is gonna start screaming and throwing his food. You probably can't stay out very late because of having to put the child to bed. I think there is a reason why children under three get in free...because Disney considers people under three to be too young to get much out of the experience. They're just there for the ride and can't really participate much, so they aren't charged. At least that's my interpretation of why they get in for free. Once you get over three years old, then you're old enough to comprehend where you are, and to get something out of the experience, rather than just being pushed around in a stroller all day while you sleep, and hence the reason why your parents have to pay to get you in. That might not be the real reason, but it sounds good to me. :lol:

I look forward to taking our child when he's old enough. But until then, every time I saw a screaming toddler making a scene, I was sure glad we left ours at home. Personally, I don't really think toddlers and infants have any business there, but that's entirely up to the parents, and if that's what they want to do, then that's their business. As for us, I don't regret our decision to enjoy it without being tied down with the responsibilities of having an infant on board, and I look forward to taking our son down when he's old enough to say "hey Dad, can we do Space Mountain again" or "hey Dad, can we get in the pool later?". To me, having to leave a show because my toddler is screaming and making a scene, isn't my idea of fun family togetherness.

Again, just to clarify, I'm not casting judgement on anyone else who chooses to bring their infants/toddlers along. That's their business, not mine. If that's how they want to do their vacation, then more power to them. But as for me, despite all the joy that many people here would testify to in regards to bringing a baby/toddler, I can't stop thinking of the worst case scenario: a screaming child all the way down in the van on the way there, a child who screams at the table and ruins supper, having to leave shows because the child is causing a scene, not being able to do anything at night because we have to put the baby to bed, not being able to sleep at night because we have a crying baby in the room with us, etc. IMO, it's much better for everyone, including the child, to just leave him back home. He will have just as much fun (probably more fun, in fact), playing blocks on Grandma's living room floor than he would being pushed around in a stroller all day long and being dragged in and out of various attractions.

rwdavis2

If you can afford to go more than once every 3-4 years then do what you like. I think some people (and this is OK to me if you can afford it) use the excuse of taking the kids to Disney when they really want an excuse to go themselves.

But if money is an issue then, IMHO, I would never take a child younger than 5. They won't remember much before that age. People say the kids react to this and that at the parks but they would have much the same reaction to things at home as well.
Bob

Iknewagirlnamed

Wow, do you honestly not remember anything that happened to you before you turned ten?

I was more so referring to the kids that are very far away from turning 10. I was meaning more of the under 8 crowd as far as not being able to remember much. I said age 10 because that's when they can experience almost anything

tylergirl1970

I took both of my children to the parks at around 10-11 months of age. The only advice I have is this... it's easy to carry a baby into the lines at Disney when they are young and light.. AND a child of about 2.5-3 can ride in the stroller and then stand up and walk through the line holding your hand. But there is a stage in the middle, which my husband and I made the mistake of doing, when they are SO heavy to carry and too young to really pay attention as they walk LOL like... 1.5 maybe. That was kinda hard.. we were passing my son back and forth like.. "isn't it your turn now?"

So I think really young is ok and then stable walking age for lines is ok :)

Just my opinion though!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you can afford to go more than once every 3-4 years then do what you like. I think some people (and this is OK to me if you can afford it) use the excuse of taking the kids to Disney when they really want an excuse to go themselves.

But if money is an issue then, IMHO, I would never take a child younger than 5. They won't remember much before that age. People say the kids react to this and that at the parks but they would have much the same reaction to things at home as well.
Bob

Don't sell kids short. Our four year old remembers details about our trips that would suprise you.

We are bringing my daughter when she is 2 and a 1/2 . I decided she won't remember this trip, but she wont remember the playgroups, kinderdance and tumble tots either. Should I stop doing it? NO WAY, she enjoys it NOW. She loves MMC and MFTAP. She will enjoy Disney for what it is now.

Everyone will have different opinions. Most kids won't remember the trip if they are under 4 years. That was the age I first went and my brother first went. We both have a few memories of the trip. I'm gonna get flamed, but I hate seeing very young children (under 1) at the parks for things like Extra Magic Hours until 1 am. Those poor kids, sleeping in strollers with their heads crooked to one side, being flung around. Or to see them there in the middle of the hot, humid summer in that intense heat. Even if they are covered and sunscreened and all that. It's at that point that I begin to question if the parents are there for themselves or for the kids.

Well, said. If you are prepared to bring a small child, don't push them. Bring a babysitter or hire one. Sleeping in their strollers only makes them cranky for the next day. I say if it is condusive add a couple of extra days so you can take it slow!

I will have a 2.5 year old when we go to Disney and she is NOT scared of loud noises, loves movie theaters and I even had a knock off Mickey and Minnie come to her second birthday party and she harassed them. Santa has never scared her. We live close to New Orleans and parades keep her attention very well. At a local amusement park she will ride anything she meets the height for. But, this is my child, her friends on the other hand are not as "brave" as her. A friend brought her 2 year old and she hated all of the fur costumes. I think it also depends on the child.

We took our oldest when he was just about to turn 3. He was tall and adventurous, and we couldn't get him off Tower of Terror. He went on Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin, LOVED it all. We took our youngest when he was in-utero (3 times), and once he was out, his first trip was at 6 months. We're going this week, and it will be his 10th trip, and our oldest's (who just turned 8) probably 22-25th trip.
They have a blast, they can both walk the whole park, they remember everything and what they forget over time will be re-remembered through the roughly 3000 (yes thousand) digital pictures we take each time we go, and the home videos. (Thank heavens for hard-drive video cameras!)
It's definately a personal decision based on your personality and that of your kids, but there is nothing like watching a little one at Disney to give you a whole new appreciation for everything in life.

One other thing though, we never strollered the younger one. I carried him in a backpack until he was two. It was the easiest most fantastic thing ever, and there are even some rides (TTA) where you can get on with the backpack, and ride it like that with them up seeing everything.
Awesome for little ones who are usually stuck in strollers looking at everyone behinds, and fantastic for escaping after parades and fireworks!

brucie

Anyone under the age of 2 in my opinion is to young, they wont remember it later and don't appreciate it at the time! We were on the Ellen ride at Epcot and there was an infant in front of us who screamed the whole time that it was on the ride, it was very annoying. You could tell the mother was embarrassed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom