HOW WILL UNIVERSAL'S EPIC UNIVERSE AFFECT WALT DISNEY WORLD?

How do you think it will affect Disney World?

• Total voters

UNCgolf

I don't think it will have a major effect. There are far too many people who only care about Disney and aren't really interested in Universal's offerings. Epic Universe isn't really a significant departure from what Universal offers at their existing parks (and I don't think it needed to be; they have their own fan base). It's not exactly the same, but it's still relatively heavy on thrill rides (and not solely coasters).

JoeCamel

They could "theme" the busses. And using the dedicated lanes would be able to provide a rather smooth transition from say Diagon to the Ministry of Magic. Imagine driving near EPIC and being passed by a small, continual armada of Knight Busses.
Or they could get a bus that isn't being used with an immersive inside to do an upcharge for transport from setting to setting for potterheads. I wonder where in Orlando they might find a bus set up like that?? Hmmmm

Vegas Disney Fan

Not anymore! UO is slowly inching their way to be #1. They MAY not reach it, but they are succeeding on Disney lack of competency!
I don’t think Universal has the IPs to dethrone Disney but they’ve come a lot closer than I ever thought they could.

In the short term Universal is definitely winning the theme park wars, Disney is just fortunate that they have 60 years of theme park dominance to offset the last few years, that may not be true in another 60 years but for now Disneys history is saving their bacon.

Lilofan

I don’t think Universal has the IPs to dethrone Disney but they’ve come a lot closer than I ever thought they could.

In the short term Universal is definitely winning the theme park wars, Disney is just fortunate that they have 60 years of theme park dominance to offset the last few years, that may not be true in another 60 years but for now Disneys history is saving their bacon.
There are many options/ countries to go to theme parks. One very safe but very hot climate area to enjoy a theme park is in Dubai. Dubai has a company building a unique Real Madrid soccer theme park. In Dubai though the desert wind storms are brutal.

WoundedDreamer

My general feeling when going to Walt Disney World these days is embarrassment. Primarily embarrassment for Disney. I see mold, broken effects, peeling paint, tired facilities, tasteless overlays, and bizarrely misplaced additions. I want Walt Disney World to prove to everyone that theme parks aren't for kids or crass. I want them to prove the haters wrong about what Disney can be. But instead, it's as if they're doing their best to prove their critics right. They want people to know that they're fools for coming. That's why I also now feel embarrassment going to Disney. I feel ripped off and manipulated. They've taken some of the things and places I love most and are destroying them. The things at Walt Disney World I do care about are getting picked off one by one. I've been to Tokyo Disney. I've seen what's possible with conscientious care of theme parks. Even Disneyland Resort is better.

I'm a theme park fan and huge Disney fan. If I am finding it increasingly difficult to stomach trips to Walt Disney World, what about normal people? Am I the only person who feels this way? I can't imagine I am. And that's why Epic Universe will impact Walt Disney World. Epic Universe is not a perfect park by any stretch of the imagination. I find certain parts of it ugly and other parts just unappealing. However, it does show something that I can't say for Disney. It shows they're trying. It will be new and fresh. Guests aren't stupid. They'll figure out Universal is offering a series of rejuvenated and fresh content. Disney can't even be bothered to fix effects in their flagship attractions.

Comcast undoubtedly has plans to expand the park further. By the time the Frontierland addition gets added to the Magic Kingdom, I wouldn't be shocked if one or even two new lands have been added to Epic Universe. It's just no contest.

eliza61nyc

So it seems that this was a huge discussion when Harry Potter world came into being. Personally I don't think any thing any other company does is going to affect the mouse as much as their lousy, inept, moronic management. As I say all the time, if I had a dollar for every person that predicted Disney's demise, I'd be rich.
Now this new world could actually be a good thing because nothing gets things done more than losing a huge share of your business.
So my guess is that it will hit disney for a very brief time but nothing major. Now I don't know if Universal is #1, my sphere of influence is very small and everyone I know is still team Disney. We have 1 possibly two small trips planned with no desire to do universal

bryanfze55

I’m by no means a Disney apologist - and I’m probably in the minority on this opinion - but I think Epic Universe feels a bit overhyped. Sure, it’ll be nice to have some more well-themed coasters in Orlando. But at the end of the day, they’re coasters… I really wanted Epic to bring it on the dark ride front, and I’m prepared to be a bit let down in that regard. Just not enough there…

UNCgolf

I’m by no means a Disney apologist - and I’m probably in the minority on this opinion - but I think Epic Universe feels a bit overhyped. Sure, it’ll be nice to have some more well-themed coasters in Orlando. But at the end of the day, they’re coasters… I really wanted Epic to bring it on the dark ride front, and I’m prepared to be a bit let down in that regard. Just not enough there…

That's kind of how I feel. I think Celestial Park looks wonderful, and I'm hopeful that the monsters area will be really cool, but both the monsters and Ministry of Magic rides need to be near best in class for EU to have much standing on the dark ride front. Even then, it's only two rides. Mario Kart is the other dark ride and it's a Smuggler's Run level miss to me.

Plus, with the monsters attraction a Kuka arm, it'll probably have a relatively high thrill level instead of something like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. where you can just kind of relax and take it all in. Based on all of the HP rides they've built thus far, it wouldn't be surprising for MoM to also lean in the thrill ride direction, but that's admittedly just speculation.

It seems like the park might be lacking in that type of attraction, which wouldn't be a surprise for Universal.

bryanfze55

That's kind of how I feel. I think Celestial Park looks wonderful, and I'm hopeful that the monsters area will be really cool, but both the monsters and Ministry of Magic rides need to be near best in class for EU to have much standing on the dark ride front. Even then, it's only two rides. Mario Kart is the other dark ride and it's a Smuggler's Run level miss to me.

Plus, with the monsters attraction a Kuka arm, it'll probably have a relatively high thrill level instead of something like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. where you can just kind of relax and take it all in. Based on all of the HP rides they've built thus far, it wouldn't be surprising for MoM to also lean in the thrill ride direction, but that's admittedly just speculation.

It seems like the park might be lacking in that type of attraction, which wouldn't be a surprise for Universal.
Sadly I don’t think we’ll ever get rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or Spaceship Earth ever again, from any company (at least not in the U.S.). Disney certainly isn’t building them either.

I’m sure Ministry will be an objectively good ride, all things considered, but I just have no connection to the IP and think Potter is now officially overdone at USO. A new IP would’ve been great.

UNCgolf

Sadly I don’t think we’ll ever get rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or Spaceship Earth ever again, from any company (at least not in the U.S.). Disney certainly isn’t building them either.

I’m sure Ministry will be an objectively good ride, all things considered, but I just have no connection to the IP and think Potter is now officially overdone at USO. A new IP would’ve been great.

Na'vi River Journey is in that vein, IMO -- it's just a C ticket version instead of an E ticket (hence the lack of AAs). Everything else about it has that kind of intricately detailed physical placemaking, though.

It sounds like Tiana will be along those lines as well, although I think they were basically forced into that since it's a retheme.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’ve never been a fan of Universals dark rides or flat rides so I’m ok with them primarily doing coasters and thrill rides, it’s what they’re best at.

Their non thrill rides are typically some type of vehicle parked in front of, or riding between, screens, that’s always been Universals weakness, I wouldnt mind more Pets style rides though, that is probably our favorite of their dark rides.

The new minions ride doesn’t give us much hope though, it’s just a new way of moving people between screens.

Hate to break it to everyone. Rat, mickeys railway, midway mania, and both starwars rides are all sceen based. As are almost every new ride in the last 15 years for both WDW and UO. Especially since most of the physical effects on Rise rarely work. Not much difference between Tranformers and Rise in its current state.

Quite pathetic IMHO. Everything is pretty much screen based now. Hagrids may be the last highly themed one. Even guardians and tron have large projections/screens.

The era of pirates, mansion, splash, MIB is dead. Rethemes do not count as new rides. As much as ET and SSE need love, i hope they never get the knife of a refurb.

There are a few highlights coming to Epic. Well themed lands with varied experiences. I think dark universe may be the hidden gem. The issue is all 3 UO parks will start to suffer the same fate as WDW's non MK parks. There will be a desperate need of more simple BC ticket dark rides. Every ride does not need to be an epic adventure. 3 or 4 simple peter pan/mister toads per park would be welcomed by the masses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom