How will Tropical Storm/Potential Hurricane Fay Affect WDW?

PhotoDave219

I viewed recent reports that Fay may hit the west coast of Florida by Tues. of next week. Hopefully, WDW will not receive damaging winds or too much rain.
If a hurricane does form, how would it affect WDW?
Does everything close if the winds & rain get too bad?

Disney is more than prepared to handle a serious hurricane. Hotels are made of concrete and steel and sure beats a condo made of wood. Only real nervous moment of Charley is when the window started moving inward.

See the Infamous Hurricane Charley Video -> http://www.youtube.com/v/ecKW1lXA62s if you want to see Disney on the day Charley hits and some of the aftermath on the day after.

The frances video was filmed but never edited or published.

One side note. From the time the announcement was made that Disney was closing (12:35pm) to the time i finished checking into All Star Sports (approx 2PM), Charley made a quick right and blossomed into a Cat 4 storm from a Cat 2 storm. It probably wont happen like that again but its possible.

Hurricane season is June 1st to November 30th .... as to what plans Disney has depends on what level the storm is when it hits the Lake Buena Vista area ... they do have a program where CM's stay at the property to ensure staffing ...

Skyway

As many have already posted here, when it comes to taking care of guests during hurricanes, Disney is top-notch. (In fact, many locals now "evacuate" to WDW hotels knowing that their chances of keeping power, water, and food are better, not to mention the entertainment)

With that said, when looking at hurricane prediction maps, you really must ignore that "path" of the hurricane and focus on the entire "cone".

Unlike a tornado, which cuts a straight path, it really does not matter where the "eye" of the hurricane travels. In fact, the "eye" does not necessarily cause the greatest damage. THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF A HURRICANE IS THE NORTH-EAST QUADRANT. If the "eye" travels just west of Disney, that's the worst thing that can happen because that north-east quadrant will cut right over Disney property, increasing the risk for severe winds and tornadoes.

For those who are flying into Orlando on Tuesday or early Wednesday--- you WILL be delayed, and possibly cancelled, depending on the storm's severity. You may want to look at alternative flight plans now and decide whether the cost of re-booking is worth the day or two you may lose. Considering this storm is expected to impact Tampa, Orlando, and possibly Atlanta (as well as the flight paths above the state), expect that the entire aviation system will be impacted by this storm.

100 Acre HS

I just want to provide a little bit of reality. This is a Hurricane, as with any natural disaster there will be damage, potential loss of life, and at a minimum uncomftorable conditions for anyone effected by it. That being said, regardless of the tourist draw to Orlando, if there is a Hurricane coming, and you can avoid being here, please do so. There has been ample warning that this was on its way. I think it is selfish for anyone to think that their vacation is more important that the safety of another human being. Sorry if you will have to postpone your trip for a day or two, but there will be people that lose their homes, cars, potentially lives. Some people are just worried about when the park will open so they can get their fast pass. Take a look at the situation, your vacation pales in comparison to the potential devistation that some people could suffer due to any tropical storm.

lac628

Disney is more than prepared to handle a serious hurricane. Hotels are made of concrete and steel and sure beats a condo made of wood. Only real nervous moment of Charley is when the window started moving inward.

See the Infamous Hurricane Charley Video -> http://www.youtube.com/v/ecKW1lXA62s if you want to see Disney on the day Charley hits and some of the aftermath on the day after.

The frances video was filmed but never edited or published.

One side note. From the time the announcement was made that Disney was closing (12:35pm) to the time i finished checking into All Star Sports (approx 2PM), Charley made a quick right and blossomed into a Cat 4 storm from a Cat 2 storm. It probably wont happen like that again but its possible.

Watching that video put a little lump in my throat. Esp. when they showed the clip of the weather in Port Charlotte. That's where I live. It was a very scarey day and a long recovery. I definately don't want to go through it again. I wish I was in WDW that day!!! The only good thing about Charley, was that it moved sooooo fast, it started here at like 3:30 and was completely gone by 5pm. It did do a heck of a lot of damage in the 1 1/2 hrs it was here though. I couln't imagine if it was going slower. It would have been like Katrina.

devoy1701

funny comment.

Saturday in Epcot at the Pin Station in the center of Future World...(it had been raining steadily for about 25 minutes by now, my gf and I were killing time and unfortunately got sucked into the wonders of pin trading).

Guest to CM: Is this rain from that Hurricane down there off the coast?

CM: I think this is just a short rain storm...

Guest: I heard it was from that hurricane down there. My husband told me.

CM: Ma'am, I'm pretty sure the storm is too far away to be affecting us yet.

Guest: Hurricanes can get pretty big you know...

CM: yes ma'am, I guess this could be from that storm...

:shrug:

anyway...it let up about 10 minutes later... just a fun little moment.

end scene...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
we arrive on friday evening.......think all should be ok by then?

Almost certainly. I can't remember the precise year (it would be 2000+/- a year), I went to WDW with a friend of mine from California and a hurricane was supposed to hit while we were there. It changed direction and what we got instead was beautiful days with no crowds! So y'all could get lucky. Keep your fingers crossed. :D

(I could figure out the exact dates if I wasn't in a hurry. My friend was a USC-alum and we went to a Florida State-USC game in Tally after our WDW visit. FSU won 30-10. In fact, I could've looked up all the pertinent info while I was typing this. :lookaroun)

EDIT: I looked it up. It was 9/26/98, so it was whatever hurricane was in the news right before that date.

brandon8419

We're supposed to fly out early Wednesday morning. Don't think that's going to happen. :( I'm praying we somehow are able to squeak into Orlando so our trip isn't ruined but I'm not very optimistic right now

crowdcontroltap

One thing to always remember, once a hurricane passes it could take anywhere from one day to numerous days to reopen the parks but its all according to if there's damage.

And don't forget that the Hurricanes can come back around and hit the same area again. I remember Hurricane Jeanne I think it was, that hit Florida and then circled out in the Atlantic and then came back and hit us again. Just keep informed about the weather and make wise decisions, sometimes its better to put off a trip then to have it ruined.

IROC it

Last June ('07) my family and I were just finishing up our trip as TS Barry came through. Lots of rain from about midday on... we stayed... we were at DHS, then named MGM... The rain subsided enough to see Fantasmic!

We did everything we wanted to.

It looks like it won't let up enough tonight for that...

But y'all stay safe down there.:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom