How wet do you get on Splash Mountain?

Gig 'Em Mickey

I've been to WDW 3 times previously, but never ridden this ride. We'll be there next week so I'm a little concerned about getting wet and cold weather.

DisneyDancer312

it isnt a ride where u get soaked...your bottom will most likely be most wet b.c of the seats being wet...some people wear ponchos if u are really concerned... enjoy your trip

Upvote 0

dove_

I've found I don't usually get wet past a few splashes (nothing worse than Pirates and Maelstrom), and of course the seats. The big splash mostly goes forward. I usually bring a ziploc bag for my phone and camera and anything I don't want wet, and everything else is usually fine. I'm worried about it in December, too, though! :brr:

Upvote 0

epcotWSC

If you sit in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th row you will get wet, but nothing too bad. You'll actually get the wettest at the beginning of the ride when you see the people coming down the huge drop. The splash usually really hits you.

If you sit in the front row, you'll get soaked. I did it one time before we had to go to dinner at Cinderella's RT. We got soaked and the whole time my girlfriend was saying how she was going to kill me for ruining her hair before dinner :lol:

You've never experience Splash Mountain until you've sat in the front seat.

Upvote 0

shmmrname

Time it right and duck. No matter where you sit, it will help. However, if everyone ducks, then no one's there to take the brunt of the water. So, you have to hope your with others not 'in the know', and you have to time it so they don't just follow your lead.
Right before the actual splash down, duck, but beware, the splash down can sometimes push you toward the padded rafttop. You don't want to hit your head on that.

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

Of the many times we have ridden, it seems that the wettest we got was when a small wave came over the side of the boat. It was right after going down one of the small hills early on the ride that we got wet. It does not take a lot of water to get you real wet, I got my left side all the way down to my shoes. I agree with the posters before, that d__________g at the bottom will usually help. I take a few paper towels from the bathroom, or napkins and wipe out our seats before we sit, it helps. Have fun, and when its over you'll wish that you had ridden on earlier trips.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
At different times of year they reduce some of the sprays that really drench people. The jets at the drop are turned on in the summer, but rarely operate when it's colder. Occasionally water will slop over the side of the log and the spray back from the front of the log on the big drop can soak the front row and get other rows a bit.

If you're worried, ride in a poncho, but in colder weather most of what gets riders wet is turned off.

Upvote 0

adrianuk91

When we went in Oct we only got a bit wet from the big drop as all but one jet was turned off on the big drop. the bit where we got most wet was from the big drop. It helps a lot to duck, if you sit at the front you will most likely get a bit wet, however sometimes when I've been sat in the 2nd and 3rd rows I've gotten wet at the big drop as when you go under the bridge thats when the big splash comes and sometimes the wave can hit the rocks just as you come out the other side of the bridge and splash back and that how I got wet on 2nd and 3rd rows. Also try and spread the weight around in you log as well, as we found that sometimes helps.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We always request the front seat. Its not so much coming down the big hill that gets you wet as once you get down to the bottom and go around the bend and think the worst is over, BUT then the next boat comes down and sends up a splash over to your boat..... one of my favorites!!!! :lol:

Upvote 0

disney magic 06

Last time I went on it everyone in our 'log' got soaked, exactly the same way. We thought we'd got away likely after the big drop, went round the corner and whooosh! we were drenched by the overspill as the next boat came down the drop. It was a lovely warm March day so it was no big deal - we got MUCH wetter on Kali River Rapids!

Upvote 0

disneyisbest

I think it depends on how tall the people in front of you are. I remember one time my brother and I rode in the front and My mom and sis in law who were on the row behind us barely got a drop. Since he and I are 6'2" and 6'3" respectively I believe that our faces took most of the water.lol

Upvote 0

disneynut4u

The last time we went, it was me, my son, 2 sisters, 2 nephews, and my dad. My son & I sat on the front seat, 2 sister & 1 nephew on the next seat, and dad & another nephew on the last row. My son & I did not get wet at all. The next seat got a little wet. Dad got SOAKED. I had heard that the front row does not get wet (the water goes up over that row & hits the next rows) and the back rows get really wet. So I set dad and sisters up!!!:ROFLOL:I was all innocent after the ride. "I must have been mistaken. Sorry dad!:lookaroun

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Couple of factors on this one.
1)Seat location - If you are in the first two rows, count on getting wet.
2)Water cannons - If they are working, duck because you will get soaked. The wettest I ever got on Splash was in the back when a water cannon nailed me.
3)Full car / weight of occupants - The fuller or more weight in the car, the wetter you get (especially in the front).

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

How wet do you get is completely objective I am afraid -- I think the splash on Pirates makes you too wet, so I'm going to weigh in on, I rode this once, I will not ride it again. I hate getting wet on anything (I hate those surprise water sprays in HISTA and MP as well)...and for my money, it's a shame that the animatronics and the theming of this ride is so amazing, but it DOES get you wet, and hence is no longer on my ride list.

You can get some idea of how wet you will get on a particular visit by watching the splashdown for about 5 minutes -- if the water canons are firing properly (sometimes they are off, especially in colder weather) you will get very wet -- not on the splashdown hill -- the soaking here comes long before you are anywhere near the splashdown, the water canons go off next to you, and completely soak you while you are sitting 15 feet away minding your own business and waiting to enter the main building....

Hate this ride.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen81

Splash is my favorite ride, usually we really get soaked when the water cannons are working, but its not bad when they are down. Its worth it to me, I love that ride.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

hardcard

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to this question..

Location in the car matters, but not all of the time.. weight of the car (people) matters a LOT.... but the BIGGEST issue is weight distribution... REGARDLESS of the max weight in the boat, if the weight is not distributed evenly, then the front row will get soaked.. for example..

If there are fours adults and four small children getting into a boat.. if the majority of the adults sit on the right of the boat, and the small children on the left , then the boat will list a bit.. even an inch or two is enough to give the boat a shorter plane on the heavier side, thus 'cutting' into the water on that side.. and generating the 'wave' on that side of the boat..

thats the #1 reason people get soaked on splash mountain... otherwise you get a chest up spray across the whole car... If you are in rows 2-4, the previous rows will buffer you from the spray.. Unless of course, they duck..... which is why my wife no longer rides in front of me :)..

Also... here's the WORST possible scenario.. the boat has a list to it, and you are in the front row.... DO NOT DUCK! take the chest-up spray like a man (or a woman) and then let the wave do it's worst on the rest of your front side..

If you DUCK in this scenario, you'll get the wave of water down your back, backside, and legs......... making it worse..

Unless of course you WANT to get soaked... then ignore my advice :)

trust me.. I've ridden Splash roughly 30-40 times in the last couple of months..

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom