How to win the Year of a Million Dreams

bayoutinkbelle

While we unfortunately don't get a raise or anything based on how much positive feedback we get, it still is GREAT when you are at your morning track talk and a manager stops to let everyone know they have a letter from a guest about YOU. Something so seemingly simple is a terrific way to start your day, and especially helps you get through the rough ones! At least in my area (not sure if all areas do this...) positive recognition ("Great Service Fanatic" cards) gets put into monthly drawings and a few months ago My card actually got picked! For winning, I got 75 Disney Dollars, along with a GSF card and a very nice letter from Guest Relations that a few Annual Pass holders really enjoyed my safari!

Cool for you! :sohappy: I really hope I get to see some of you guys while I'm at the World next month. It would be nice to say hi and thanks in person.

SpongeScott

I spend (on average) 10 hours a day cleaning people's filth. I am overworked in a position that I detest, which I can't quit without having a big, black mark left on my record with the company. The one bright spot I will get in a day is when I am able to find 10 minutes to get away from my bathrooms to create Magical Moments for children. Alright, I'm sorry that helping "Clean Nemo's Beach" or learning to be a "Junior Custodian" don't really compare to winning a 7 day cruise, but guess what? If you took one look at 4 year old Suzy's face when you thank her for helping save Nemo, when you hand her a shiny certificate with her name on it, and tell her that she is so incredibly special, you would know that what we do matters. Magic doesn't have to cost thousands of dollars.

Don't you dare tell me that I don't make a difference. Don't you dare.

What does being a new CM have to do with anything? I'm sorry that I haven't worked for the company for years and years, but guess what? All of the old timers had to start somewhere.

I'd like you to know that I'm actually tearing up over your post, and I would really appreciate it if you would try to look at the other side of the picture before completely stomping all over what some of us are very passionate about.
Best.
Post.
Ever.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

And you should have left the name calling in! :lol: :wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Let's not turn this thread into a Merf bashing.

Merf has and continues to provide alot of information and I don't think he was trying to hurt anybodys feelings by what he posted.

There was a time when being a bitter CM was the staus quo, and I think he was trying to bring that up. I feel that there is and will always be an influx of CM who truly realize their role in creating the Magic (and Taryn is definitely one of those special Cast Members:wave: ) and hopefully these CM's will stick around and advance in the company and keep the magic alive.

After all, the best way to know how any operation works is to start at the bottom and take pride in your work.

Yoho Dave

Merf it could be alot worse. You could be living 1400 miles awayfrom the magic like me:cry: I can only hope for a trip down next December but thats sooooo far away and at this point may not even be in the budget.:eek: Wish I was close to the World like you.
P.S.
I really enjoy your trip reports and pics they keep me going:D

lawyergirl77

Let's not turn this thread into a Merf bashing.

Merf has and continues to provide alot of information and I don't think he was trying to hurt anybodys feelings by what he posted.

There was a time when being a bitter CM was the staus quo, and I think he was trying to bring that up. I feel that there is and will always be an influx of CM who truly realize their role in creating the Magic (and Taryn is definitely one of those special Cast Members:wave: ) and hopefully these CM's will stick around and advance in the company and keep the magic alive.

After all, the best way to know how any operation works is to start at the bottom and take pride in your work.
:sohappy:

Thank you for posting this!! I was trying to think of ways to say it, but it would have been much less eloquent!! :)

meryll83

ok I apologise for the COMPLETELY random drifting here...

....but how do you personalise the bit under your username, that normally says Junior Member, Senior Member etc?

sorry, I just had to know and noticed a couple of people in this thread seem to have done it!!

Thurp

I'm a 33 year old male and I often go to the parks with my partner, a 36 year old male. No kids in tow. No cute "just married" t-shirts. Just him and me enjoying the atmosphere and rides.

So we are the least likely to have official "Magical Moments", or any kind of special interaction with CMs. But yet, once in a blue moon, a CM will engage us in conversation and make us laugh, or give us a fast pass, or ask some trivia questions, or small things like that. I always cherish those moments because they are so rare for us and yet they set Disney apart from any other theme park.

My partner was working the other evening and I was bored so on a whim I went to Epcot to kill a couple of hours. In my two hours at the park I had 6 (count'em!) CMs approach me and chat with me. They asked me about how my day was going, what rides I had gone on, suggested new ones, or asked me about my Disney tattoo, etc. They had no reason to do that, and by the time I left the park I had a huge smile on my face. I even told my partner "I had a blast at Epcot tonight!"

It wasn't the rides, it wasn't the music, it was the CMs. So Taryn, thank you and the rest of your team for making Disney Parks (tm)(c) (r) special.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
ok I apologise for the COMPLETELY random drifting here...

....but how do you personalise the bit under your username, that normally says Junior Member, Senior Member etc?

sorry, I just had to know and noticed a couple of people in this thread seem to have done it!!
check your PM.

maharet97a

Thank you imagineersrock for the ideas. I'll definitely be taking a little note pad with me on our Oct Disneyland trip to write down CM info for Guest Services. And will be looking for some kind of thank you to take for great CM's as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This all reminds me of something....

A CM named Paul (Custodial, I guess, since he was sweeping) near the ToT last year, talked with my wife and I (and the two kids we were riding with, not ours, just part of our party), and asked us a bunch of trivia questions. We got them all right, and he gave us the last one before we went on, and said to look for him when we got off. We never found him, but it was awesome what had happened. I often wish we could have found him, just to see what would've happened. :)

MM Princess

Oh - and i don't like being/sounding horribly bitter, but i think repeating the same exact ceremony every day and making it an event for a guest when its scripted, selected, prearranged, and fabricated, and printed on glossy cardstock and mass produced is even remotely "magical."

Real Magic Moments happen spontaneously - not every day at a certain time when you're directed to give out the glossy cardstock. Rant over :)

Sorry kiddo.
Disney Definitions:

Magical Moment: A planned guest interaction.
Take 5: A spontanious guest interaction.

So I am to undersdand that you would turn down an oppourtunity to be a grand marshal? Doubtful. But remeber... if anyone here learns that you won a prize they will have expected you to turn it down. Because none of this is magical. ;)

I can't believe I have spent the past 2 weeks planning awesome new magical moments for people like this. :brick:

LaughingGravy

Last October (05), we took our kids to WDW for the first time. Out last trip before that was 1994, pre-kids. The '94 trip didn't leave us with the best impression based on cleanliness, friendliness and all around magic.

With this last trip with the kids, WOW! Great time all the time!
Here's just one, at least for us, magical moment. To some it could be dull, but it made a tremendous impression on us.
We were late getting out of LeCellier through no fault of our own. Dessert arrived way too late. So late, we completely missed Illuminations, and we had a 7:00 reservation.
Anyway, we come out of the restaurant to find Epcot mostly empty. We went into Mouseworks(?) the big store by SE. We totally forget about the time, looking at all the stuff. We eventually pick up a couple of things, and go. On the way out, and only on the way out, did we notice that we were the last ones and that the only other folks in the store were castmembers.

We had to have been some of, if not the last people in the whole place that night, not intending that to be the case. The magic was that there was no one shooing us out.

As for the late dessert, the meal was fantastic, so it didn't matter as much.
Thank you to all the castmembers.
It could be said that they get paid for doing that, but from someone who's been in the retail field, I know what it's like.
Thank you!

Taryn-

Do you work Saturday? Let me know if you're gonna be having someone come clean Nemo's beach, I'll try and stop by

I'm not :( I have Saturday and Sunday off. I believe I have 1:30-10/11 shifts Monday-Wednesday, though, and I'll be doing Nemo's beach throughout the day. It's my favorite :D

And to everybody else, thanks! You're all making me feel so special, it's guests like all of you who make working at WDW a dream job, despite the toilets.

JimboJones123

I'm a 33 year old male and I often go to the parks with my partner, a 36 year old male. No kids in tow. No cute "just married" t-shirts. Just him and me enjoying the atmosphere and rides.

So we are the least likely to have official "Magical Moments", or any kind of special interaction with CMs. But yet, once in a blue moon, a CM will engage us in conversation and make us laugh, or give us a fast pass, or ask some trivia questions, or small things like that. I always cherish those moments because they are so rare for us and yet they set Disney apart from any other theme park.

My partner was working the other evening and I was bored so on a whim I went to Epcot to kill a couple of hours. In my two hours at the park I had 6 (count'em!) CMs approach me and chat with me. They asked me about how my day was going, what rides I had gone on, suggested new ones, or asked me about my Disney tattoo, etc. They had no reason to do that, and by the time I left the park I had a huge smile on my face. I even told my partner "I had a blast at Epcot tonight!"

It wasn't the rides, it wasn't the music, it was the CMs. So Taryn, thank you and the rest of your team for making Disney Parks (tm)(c) (r) special.

Very Nice

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Sorry kiddo.
Disney Definitions:

Magical Moment: A planned guest interaction.
Take 5: A spontanious guest interaction.

So I am to undersdand that you would turn down an oppourtunity to be a grand marshal? Doubtful. But remeber... if anyone here learns that you won a prize they will have expected you to turn it down. Because none of this is magical. ;)

Have, will, and will continue to do so (disclaimer: i may reconsider to win a free DVC membership). It means more to others, so I tell the people who keep trying to choose me to make someone elses day because it's not important to me.

CindiFan

Thanks to all the wonderful CMs who make WDW such a magical place. You are all a cut above.

During our last trip (Sept 05) I got into a conversation w/one of the CMs on Main St (MK). Turns out, he was from my home state, very near the city where my mom & dad live. It was so neat having someone from 'home' to speak with, if only for a few minutes.

Taryn, I sure do hope we can 'run into' you in Nov when you're down. I'd like the opportunity to say thanks in person. You have a thankless job, but one of the most important in the parks. I'm going to have to remember to look for you. We're down 11/26 - 12/3.

On another note, I'm really looking forward to all the new magical moments & prizes starting next month. Its going to be awesome.

Alex, thanks for sharing the info about the safaris - sounds really cool. We'll have to keep an eye out for you, too.

Foladar

I don't think this mousemerf whippersnapper has many friends

Take your negativity to a Universal Studios message board, some of us are tryin to have a nice time...
Hows that any better than what merf said? I don't agree with what was said, but your statement wasn't any better IMO.

And thanks Taryn, feel free to let us know if you work Oct 16-23rd and I might have to stop by to say thanks too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom