How to win the Year of a Million Dreams

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, moreso how to increase your odds at getting a big prize, and/or how not to completely ruin your chances either.

http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=44

How to win in the Year of a Million Dreams

Browsing over the official rules released by Disney and sorting through the websites including interviews with Disney officials on the subject of prizes and the Year of a Million Dreams, we've come to realize how Disney intends to award prizes. This is all spectulation for entertainment purposes, but is based on what has been released by Disney.

First, this particular line in the contest information is of interest:

"Sponsor anticipates that potential winners will be selected at the Disney Properties between opening and 5 pm local time; however, certain prizes (for example, Mickey Mouse Penthouse and Cinderella's Castle Suite) are likely to be awarded early in the day to help ensure that a winner will be able to claim the prize and Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to select winners at the Disney Properties during any operating hours."

What does that mean? A few things. Primarily, if you arrive after 5pm, you're unlikely to be awarded anything. If you have an Epcot after 4pm Annual Pass be sure to enter the park between 4pm and 5pm to atleast have a chance of winning anything.

Next, Disney officials have mentioned in interviews that they do not intend to announce large prizes publicly on the spur of the moment to embarass guests or sadden others in the vicinity who did not win. The following appears in a recent article from the Orlando Sentinel newspaper:

"To avoid spontaneous scenes of envy and disappointment among nearby people, major prizewinners won't be told what they won on the spot. "We're not going to announce that in front of hundreds of other people who were so close," Potrock said. "We're going to celebrate later in the day by putting those people in as grand marshals in the parades.""

The Disney official being quoted is Ken Potruck, VP of Global Alliance Marketing. He is essentially saying that major prize winners will be chosen specifically in the early parts of the day, prior to the daily parade. Thus, if you want to win a big prize, you should arrive prior to a parade period, which is typically 3pm.

So, arrive early, and let us know if you "randomly" win anything big.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
So, possibly, they pick you early and tell you that you will be the Grand Marshall for the parade.

Then...after being GM they tell you that you won a major prize ?

napnet

hrm very interesting... how exactly are they picking people? just as they enter or as they are in the park?

DisneySaint

They are going well beyond this, too...
All the attractions will be doing magical moments for families on a regular basis now, too.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Not exactly a big prize to have a magical moment now is it?

You're kinda new.. Magic Moments were around for a long time and sorta went out of style at attractions. Now, they're grand again with thid new marketing scheme, particularly because they have a new fleet of CMs to give them out with - because most of the old timers are gone.

I doubt by 1/07 you'll be enthusiastic about forking over a sheet of cardstock with tinkerbell on it (my assumption - but am i right?) where you write in with a sharpie the Guest's name and the "Magic" you provided in some corny ceremony and then - wow - your name too, and double wow, you'll probably draw Mickey ears next to your signature.

Let me guess, they came in a 500 pack shrink wrapped to your location and you keep them in a console near the interride phone where you keep the vioban (vomit cleaner) and the spray areosol room deoderizer? Wow.. so SPECIAL.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Oh - and i don't like being/sounding horribly bitter, but i think repeating the same exact ceremony every day and making it an event for a guest when its scripted, selected, prearranged, and fabricated, and printed on glossy cardstock and mass produced is even remotely "magical."

Real Magic Moments happen spontaneously - not every day at a certain time when you're directed to give out the glossy cardstock. Rant over :)

Rob562

Did I read that right? Are there "Epcot after 4pm Annual Passes?" Am I missing something?

It's available only to Florida Residents, and I believe is currently $131.
It's pretty much what the name implies: It allows admission only to Epcot after 4PM. I don't believe you get free parking with it.

-Rob

head mouse

I doubt by 1/07 you'll be enthusiastic about forking over a sheet of cardstock with tinkerbell on it (my assumption - but am i right?) where you write in with a sharpie the Guest's name and the "Magic" you provided in some corny ceremony and then - wow - your name too, and double wow, you'll probably draw Mickey ears next to your signature.

Let me guess, they came in a 500 pack shrink wrapped to your location and you keep them in a console near the interride phone where you keep the vioban (vomit cleaner) and the spray areosol room deoderizer? Wow.. so SPECIAL.

Thank you captin MAGIC KILLER :brick:

If I were a CM I would have fun and enjoy giving them out. Seeing the look on th eguest face when I present them with the certificate.

As a guest, I am hoping with all my heart that my fiance and I get one when we go for our honeymoon.

napnet

Did I read that right? Are there "Epcot after 4pm Annual Passes?" Am I missing something?

Yeah, its mainly for dining me thinks... Florida Resident Epcot After 4 Annual Pass - Provides unlimited access to Epcot after 4 p.m. Parking not included. For Florida residents only; requires proof of residency.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Yeah, its mainly for dining me thinks... Florida Resident Epcot After 4 Annual Pass - Provides unlimited access to Epcot after 4 p.m. Parking not included. For Florida residents only; requires proof of residency.

Or for the complete and utter love of Epcot :D

Or, to be screwed by this promotion.. poor Epcot :(

se8472

Thank you captin MAGIC KILLER :brick:

If I were a CM I would have fun and enjoy giving them out. Seeing the look on th eguest face when I present them with the certificate.

As a guest, I am hoping with all my heart that my fiance and I get one when we go for our honeymoon.

He's well known for being rude...get used to that from him.

tn1999

So, possibly, they pick you early and tell you that you will be the Grand Marshall for the parade.

Then...after being GM they tell you that you won a major prize ?

i believe the guest will be told what they won before the parade, and as they come down the parade route it will be announced what they won. disney is trying to avoid the spontaneous suprise thing. they will probably be taken to a lounge of some sort to discuss what they MIGHT possibly win, contingent upon whether the prize is fitting for them (can they fly/sail, take the time off, etc.). those kinda questions will probably be asked before they are awarded anything. and if they dont qualify i bet disney has some kind of generic back-up prize.

tn1999

Oh - and i don't like being/sounding horribly bitter, but i think repeating the same exact ceremony every day and making it an event for a guest when its scripted, selected, prearranged, and fabricated, and printed on glossy cardstock and mass produced is even remotely "magical."

Real Magic Moments happen spontaneously - not every day at a certain time when you're directed to give out the glossy cardstock. Rant over :)

a spontaneous magical moment is called a "Take Five" - where the CM takes five minutes to create some magic.

Not exactly a big prize to have a magical moment now is it?

You're kinda new.. Magic Moments were around for a long time and sorta went out of style at attractions. Now, they're grand again with thid new marketing scheme, particularly because they have a new fleet of CMs to give them out with - because most of the old timers are gone.

I spend (on average) 10 hours a day cleaning people's filth. I am overworked in a position that I detest, which I can't quit without having a big, black mark left on my record with the company. The one bright spot I will get in a day is when I am able to find 10 minutes to get away from my bathrooms to create Magical Moments for children. Alright, I'm sorry that helping "Clean Nemo's Beach" or learning to be a "Junior Custodian" don't really compare to winning a 7 day cruise, but guess what? If you took one look at 4 year old Suzy's face when you thank her for helping save Nemo, when you hand her a shiny certificate with her name on it, and tell her that she is so incredibly special, you would know that what we do matters. Magic doesn't have to cost thousands of dollars.

Don't you dare tell me that I don't make a difference. Don't you dare.

What does being a new CM have to do with anything? I'm sorry that I haven't worked for the company for years and years, but guess what? All of the old timers had to start somewhere.

I'd like you to know that I'm actually tearing up over your post, and I would really appreciate it if you would try to look at the other side of the picture before completely stomping all over what some of us are very passionate about.

Iakona

But you do sound horribly bitter, and a lot lately :mad: . My 8 year old has framed or put in his scrap book all of his "mass produced" magical moments. It is magical to him and it is magical for his parents to see his face light up. We don't go every month or even every year so they are special.
The idea that Disney is adding more is great. Pins, magical moments whatever little things they do go a long way towards making memories and I applaud the company and those wonderful CMs :sohappy: that are so expressive and passionate that they make what they do countless times each seem like it is unique and special each and every time.

ECurto

So I wonder how the people who are entering via postal mail are even having a chance. Doesnt really make sence how they can win.

Punkss

Don't you dare tell me that I don't make a difference. Don't you dare.

What does being a new CM have to do with anything? I'm sorry that I haven't worked for the company for years and years, but guess what? All of the old timers had to start somewhere.

I'd like you to know that I'm actually tearing up over your post, and I would really appreciate it if you would try to look at the other side of the picture before completely stomping all over what some of us are very passionate about.

Trust me Taryn...it works and my girlfriend appreciate your effort, we went in 2004 and though you might not have been there we noticed how clean and tidy and shiny the parks were, and that is credit to all the team, we are going back in 2008 when we can afford it.

Anyway back to business...Mousemerf is a very bitter and very angry poster who seems to believe he has all the answers and knows everyones reaction. I have been disappointed with several of his trollings and now just ignore him mostly.

I have already posted comments along the lines of me thinking that it will be a little bit of magic in people's day and it seems I was right which is nice because I wanted this to work, it helps everyone out you are happy doing it for a while and the guests can be happy with it too!

Its a great idea and it is just these kind of moments that made our trip great, though we didn't get thanked with a pin (would have been nice!). We had a Cast Member open up a closed shop and get us an eeyore to take to another shop to pay, which was great service, she dropped her work just for us. Also we had a conversation with a trash can which was unexpected and great! Its the little things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom