How to "fix" Living Seas

thomas998

But why? Think of his personal under water experiences and "talent" at driving project budgets up to new records... Sure, the executives get ed and are eventually talked out of hiring assassins to kill him, but every project he touches also makes money in record numbers!

I can see his vision now.... a simulated ride on the Titanic all while being tortured by Celine singing that god awful song while watching a animatronic DeCaprio drowing.... Well... I might enjoy watching the drowning but that's about all I would enjoy.

Tom Morrow

Perfect fix would be just to bring back the original. Actually felt like an aquarium.
The worst part about The Seas with Nemo and friends ride is that, during the "EAC" section, you are actually underwater inside the tank - the windows into the tank are just covered up. Actually being inside the tank is definitely more interesting than projections of Crush!
Yeah, just about as much as Donald Duck is a good representative of Mexico.
To be fair, at least Panchito and Jose Carioca are at least Mexican.

awoogala

Two words: James Cameron

Why not? He's already working with WDI on Avatar. That's if they don't kill him before completion of that project. Of anyone, Cameron would have the most to offer in the area of ideas and concepts for a re-imagined Living Seas pavilion. Get rid of Nemo and let Cameron have dibs at it!

I disagree. big budget, big ego. bleh. I'd rather they go with a revitalization that brings in the legacy of sea exploration, maybe some costeau (father and son), deep sea diving exploration, but leave cameron out of it... unless he wants to sponsor it, of course :p (he has enough $!)

acishere

I wouldn't mind them keeping Nemo if they just made it so the effects didn't totally hide the fact that you are in a glass tube in a massive water tank filled with sea creatures.

James Cameron already has lots of underwater exploration footage that would have worked when they had the movie before you boarded the ride. With what is available right now, the most I could see them actually do is have an exhibit in the pavilion. Probably just some video screens showing his dives and a full scale replica of the sub he uses. But maybe he could get Disney to do more after all...

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I disagree. big budget, big ego. bleh. I'd rather they go with a revitalization that brings in the legacy of sea exploration, maybe some costeau (father and son), deep sea diving exploration, but leave cameron out of it... unless he wants to sponsor it, of course :p (he has enough $!)
I say these things knowing that I'm going to outrage some members here. That's always fun and entertaining watching their reactions. Though I do believe that - if given a chance - he would do something incredible with Living Seas and a big budget to feed his ego to go with it. Like him or hate him, you can't deny that the above statement is true and would most likely bring in the crowds. Like him or hate him, you must also admit that there is a twisted humor in his ego's appetite and the fact that the public loves to feeding it is fascinating and deserves study. In other words, my suggestion wasn't serious because I anticipated the response here. Part of the humor in it is that even though I wasn't serious, it would probably be true if Cameron was ever offered such an opportunity!

MarkTwain

The worst part about The Seas with Nemo and friends ride is that, during the "EAC" section, you are actually underwater inside the tank - the windows into the tank are just covered up. Actually being inside the tank is definitely more interesting than projections of Crush!To be fair, at least Panchito and Jose Carioca are at least Mexican.

Jose Carioca is Brazilian ;)

(Carioca = slang for person from Rio de Janeiro... sorry, I'm a Jose fan!)

Britt

:looksaround: I actually really love that attraction.

Granted, never rode it before Nemo, but I never really thought of the ride aspect, just that the clamshells were a means to get to the manatees and sharks...lol

GeorgiaPinesRJB

I say these things knowing that I'm going to outrage some members here. That's always fun and entertaining watching their reactions. Though I do believe that - if given a chance - he would do something incredible with Living Seas and a big budget to feed his ego to go with it. Like him or hate him, you can't deny that the above statement is true and would most likely bring in the crowds. Like him or hate him, you must also admit that there is a twisted humor in his ego's appetite and the fact that the public loves to feeding it is fascinating and deserves study. In other words, my suggestion wasn't serious because I anticipated the response here. Part of the humor in it is that even though I wasn't serious, it would probably be true if Cameron was ever offered such an opportunity!

Don't back peddle now, you made your claims now stick to it.

PittsBurghFuzz

I used to love the Living Seas, and now its a stupid children's section. Epcot in general needs a new E ticket attraction, because Soarin' and Test Track aren't enough. If there was any room, I'd say put something in World Showcase. I've had enough of the same stupid 360 vision 14 minute show garbage. I love Epcot, but out of all the Parks, I think it needs the most help. Although, all of the, do need some serious revamping.

blueboxdoctor

NO! I don't need anymore of him in my life. I think Avatar is awful and Titanic, well a nonsense love story based around a tragic event just to make the movie mainstream while it easily could have been called anything and set anywhere, sorry, not my cup of tea. Ruining the first 3/4 of Aliens by making a straight up action move full of stereotypes, yeah, this guy does not need to be in WDW.

As for the Living Seas, the problem is most people don't care about science on vacation, just look at how Test Track has nothing to do at all with engineering before (granted, most of the tech advertised in in prior to the redo is basically standard now, well except ABS in a Ford Focus, which is still baffling), but now it is basically the create a character/car part of a video game. Which leads to another question. If they want to make EPCOT more interactive and less technical, would it kill them to use interactive programs that are more responsive and have graphics that are from this century rather than graphics that look like late PS1 CGI cut scenes and early PS2 in game graphics? It's like they want to do something but make it a point to cut corners.

luv

I liked T and T2. I don't think I liked any of his other movies, with the exception of the first 20 minutes of Titanic.

I ignore the Seas for the most part. I feel like I get more and better at Sea World. If I was in the mood for that, I'd just go to Sea World, not Epcot.

I might be alone in this, but I just don't care about the Seas at all.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Don't back peddle now, you made your claims now stick to it.
Read the tone of my messages. I said something to the effect that the budget for the rehab should be something like $350 million - none of which would go into actual construction and $300 million of that to pay for Cameron's deep trench expedition to capture unknown bioluminescent species to return to the pavilion and the other $50 million to pay for new submarine ride vehicles and black lights. Does that sound serious to you?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They should have an IMAX presitation taking us to places under the see with the same same seating system as soarin and Jeremy Irons as the narator :).

|Q|

NO! I don't need anymore of him in my life. I think Avatar is awful and Titanic, well a nonsense love story based around a tragic event just to make the movie mainstream while it easily could have been called anything and set anywhere, sorry, not my cup of tea.

Actually i think it's the other way around. He made a cool movie about the sinking of a really really really cool ship, and put the love story to make it mainstream.

Q

The Empress Lilly

:looksaround: I actually really love that attraction.

Granted, never rode it before Nemo, but I never really thought of the ride aspect, just that the clamshells were a means to get to the manatees and sharks...lol
The ride itself is much better now than the one before. Which was shorter, just a twenty to twentyfive-ish feet long ride through the aquarium, dropping you of in an area from where you could see...the same aquarium. Pointless.

On the other hand, The Living Seas as a whole was more EPCOT-y, futuristic, about the actual seas instead of cartoon fish. Grander and more mysterious.

Sneezy62

I liked T and T2. I don't think I liked any of his other movies, with the exception of the first 20 minutes of Titanic.

I ignore the Seas for the most part. I feel like I get more and better at Sea World. If I was in the mood for that, I'd just go to Sea World, not Epcot.

I might be alone in this, but I just don't care about the Seas at all.

I guess at one point The Living Seas was about imagining what it would be like to live in an undersea colony. I remember my Popular Science mags used to be full of articles that proposed new and different ways to live. I'm sorry I missed The Living Seas and all of Future World as it was originally built. Until the pendulum swings back to people actually imagining the future instead of just letting it happen to them we'll be stuck with Nemo or underwater Avatanic or some other non future crap. I still love watching the fish but I can do that better at SW or even Silver Springs if it's still open. I think Soarin and Test Track are just as much abominations in Future World as Nemo.

The Empress Lilly

What a peculiar thing to say!:( It's almost bordering on slagging off people who gave your thread serious replies.

Then you go on to say you have not been serious at all, only to in the very next post 'like' Lee's suggestion to bring Cameron and serious science in.
Come on now. This is a good thread, with a serious suggestion that deserves serious consideration. Or even fun banter and out-of-the-box blue sky thinking. No need to diminish any of that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom