How to "fix" Living Seas

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Read the tone of my messages. I said something to the effect that the budget for the rehab should be something like $350 million - none of which would go into actual construction and $300 million of that to pay for Cameron's deep trench expedition to capture unknown bioluminescent species to return to the pavilion and the other $50 million to pay for new submarine ride vehicles and black lights. Does that sound serious to you?

None of your posts ever sound serious. Sorry, champ.

rnese

EPCOT...Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow.
I am still trying to figure out what a "clown fish" has to do with it.
Call me crazy, but wouldn't deep sea exploration or ocean-floor colonization be more appropriate? Attention Disney, my creative genius is available for a reasonable fee! I would welcome an interview to discuss my ideas and experience at your earliest convenience.

Bairstow

EPCOT...Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow.
I am still trying to figure out what a "clown fish" has to do with it.
Call me crazy, but wouldn't deep sea exploration or ocean-floor colonization be more appropriate?

No, because the clownfish moves more plush.

Tom Morrow

The ride itself is much better now than the one before. Which was shorter, just a twenty to twentyfive-ish feet long ride through the aquarium, dropping you of in an area from where you could see...the same aquarium. Pointless.

On the other hand, The Living Seas as a whole was more EPCOT, futuristic, about the actual seas instead of cartoon fish. Grander and more mysterious.
True. If you take the current ride from the EAC scene to the end, that was the entire ride before. But the overall concept of an underwater sea lab and everything was much more Epcot-y.
I don't think the Seas needs to be "fixed" - Epcot is about "educatainment" (well, it's supposed to be) and using Nemo as a tool to interest and educate kids is OK by me.
Except the ride doesn't teach kids anything at all besides that Nemo is a jerk and hid from Marlin to freak him out again!

Turtle Talk, however, fits pretty nicely. Like I said before, they obviously chose the Nemo makeover since its the easiest way to generate interest in the pavilion and sell merchandise, etc. But the ride itself didn't have have the laziest, least Epcot-fitting story possible.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Remove the visible outside world through the exit doors. Not very under the sea with daylight pouring in. That's why the original had exit hydrolators.

Fix the external night lighting. Seas had an intricate lighting system built into the facade and roof. Not the football field floodlights on poles that are now used.

Two simple ideas that'd help no end.

RonAnnArbor

Of all the things at WDW that need "fixing", The Seas with Nemo and Friends is certainly not one of them. I don't expect anything to be done other than occasional refurb of what is already there for decades.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
It's true, Cameron is cursed. No matter what he does, he always makes money!
No. It's not by chance. He knows how to empathize with audience masses and give them an unforgettable movie experience that plays with their emotions like harp strings and extract adrenalin synchronous to the ups, downs, curves, and loops of being on a rollercoaster. He knows to achieve this, it starts with a story and the screenplay must be perfect in order to deliver it. To make it, he must direct it as he had envisioned it when he wrote it. To produce it, it must be exactly as its written. Nothing is compromised. This almost guarantees that it will require a budget that no studio would be crazy enough to give any director (unless it were Cameron) requested it. If Cameron doesn't get the budget he wants, he would hand the project over to another director (like he did with the first Spider-Man movie). Part of the reason his projects always break new records at the Box Office (or other) is due to the fact that zero compromises were made - from the story, to the screenplay, to production (including budget), to post-production. Studio Execs understand this, which is why none of his films were ever compromised in any way and funded in its entirety (even if that meant going over budget by normally unacceptable amounts). By the way, Avatar ended up costing far more than what Fox said it cost them. Cameron got at least a couple of outside funding sources that at minimum doubled the outragously huge amount Fox had already put into it. I can just imagine the drama going on now between Cameron and Disney's people, as Disney is most likely being hijacked by Cameron uncompromising way of doing things. Maybe Disney execs will learn a thing or two...

WED99

No. It's not by chance. He knows how to empathize with audience masses and give them an unforgettable movie experience that plays with their emotions like harp strings and extract adrenalin synchronous to the ups, downs, curves, and loops of being on a rollercoaster. He knows to achieve this, it starts with a story and the screenplay must be perfect in order to deliver it. To make it, he must direct it as he had envisioned it when he wrote it. To produce it, it must be exactly as its written. Nothing is compromised. This almost guarantees that it will require a budget that no studio would be crazy enough to give any director (unless it were Cameron) requested it. If Cameron doesn't get the budget he wants, he would hand the project over to another director (like he did with the first Spider-Man movie). Part of the reason his projects always break new records at the Box Office (or other) is due to the fact that zero compromises were made - from the story, to the screenplay, to production (including budget), to post-production. Studio Execs understand this, which is why none of his films were ever compromised in any way and funded in its entirety (even if that meant going over budget by normally unacceptable amounts). By the way, Avatar ended up costing far more than what Fox said it cost them. Cameron got at least a couple of outside funding sources that at minimum doubled the outragously huge amount Fox had already put into it. I can just imagine the drama going on now between Cameron and Disney's people, as Disney is most likely being hijacked by Cameron uncompromising way of doing things. Maybe Disney execs will learn a thing or two...
Well I made a joke but if were talking realistically here I think your wrong. I think he knows how to gimmick very well by using technologies before their time. He did it with Titanic, he did it with Avatar and his recent film with Cirque De Soleil just proves he's not trying to be a great film maker, he's trying to continuously be new and edgy. That's how he makes his money. Sure Titanic was a great film, but there are plenty of great films that didn't hit the billion dollar mark.

Bairstow

One thing about James Cameron that a lot of people don't know about is that more than most directors he takes an unusually involved role in the art design of his films.
His sketches might not be the final designs that appear in his films, but his ability as an artist is often overlooked.
qa_original.jpg
sketch-1.png

pic upload

KeithVH

You know, to get back on topic, think about this. For the 99.99+% of people who have never heard of Magic, I'll bet you 99+% of them, who will go to the Seas once in their life, probably think "Oh, that nemo ride was amazing, and the kids even learned things afterwards". They don't know what it has been in the past nor do they care about what it could be in the future.

Totally uninvolved (kinda like all this Cameron stuff) and that's how Disney is approaching the problem. It gets put into someone's book of work and triaged according to whatever chicken bones they're throwing that day. And falls below the waterline.

And I'll bet you, for all the rustled jimmies around here, TDO, in general could outline all the complaints everyone has here about everything in all the parks. Considering most everyone here can't agree on the minor things and what needs to be done to fix them ()god heklp us on major problems), what makes you think it's different anywhere else for anyone else, especially their mgmt?

Sure, I'd love to see some changes there. We all would, even the uninformed. But there is an opportunity cost FOR WHICH WE HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE. What if it was a question of a Seas update versus new film for Soarin'? No, they're not equivalent in $, but you get my drift. Until someone can spell out the real trade-offs for a Seas fix, we're all doing nothing but {insert Reverend Johnson quote from blazing Saddles here}.

Problem is, half the new posts anymore all seem to degenerate into the same type of argument as this one did. An "I'm more righter than you" attitude. Won't make me swear of this place but I do my daily reads a lot faster now than I used to.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Well I made a joke but if were talking realistically here I think your wrong. I think he knows how to gimmick very well by using technologies before their time. He did it with Titanic, he did it with Avatar and his recent film with Cirque De Soleil just proves he's not trying to be a great film maker, he's trying to continuously be new and edgy. That's how he makes his money. Sure Titanic was a great film, but there are plenty of great films that didn't hit the billion dollar mark.
The Cirque De Soleil Movie is a film that Cameron financed through his role as Executive Producer. He did not write nor did he direct it - or have any role in the "hands-on" artistic making of that movie - much like how George Lucas was the Executive Producer of Radioland Murders or Howard the Duck. All the movies where he acted as writer, director, as well as executive producer is true of what I had said. Those movies include Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, True Lies, Titanic, and Avatar. All those movies follow the same exact formula. Notice they are always either about the ocean or space/future/sci-fi. Of those films, T2, Titanic, and Avatar were the most expensive films ever to be produced at the time those films were released, breaking records each time ($100m, $200m, and $400m, respectively). Titanic and Avatar also broke records in Box Office receipts.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
By the way, when he's finished with the Avatar sequels (despite what you may have heard in the news lately), he plans to break new records yet again with Battle Angel, rumored to have a proposed budget of $800 million! I know that sounds totally insane. That's because it is and this will be his last movie. He's been working on preproduction for years now between projects. He has had several screenay drafts completed, and supposedly the last one is the final one. It is such a crazy concept that there's no way it won't break new Box Office records. The little I know of the story is that a "sexy" female humanoid cyborg, with the artificial body parts of teenage girl and a real human brain, is found on a planet 300 years in the future by humans who adopt her. She has total memory loss when found and later plays a key role in saving the Universe. It is based on Japanese anime of the same name and will incorporate story from the first two Japanese originals. The original Japanese writer worked with Cameron on the screenplay and is given credit as co-writer.

Cameron was recently quoted by the press as saying he will only make Avatar movies from now on. When asked later if this includes Battle Angel, he said they would have to pry it from his dead hands than give up that project. So, I take that to mean that he will make the Avatar sequels next, followed by Battle Angel, followed by his retirement.

WED99

The Cirque De Soleil Movie is a film that Cameron financed through his role as Executive Producer. He did not write nor did he direct it - or have any role in the "hands-on" artistic making of that movie - much like how George Lucas was the Executive Producer of Radioland Murders or Howard the Duck. All the movies where he acted as writer, director, as well as executive producer is true of what I had said. Those movies include Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, True Lies, Titanic, and Avatar. All those movies follow the same exact formula. Notice they are always either about the ocean or space/future/sci-fi. Of those films, T2, Titanic, and Avatar were the most expensive films ever to be produced at the time those films were released, breaking records each time ($100m, $200m, and $400m, respectively). Titanic and Avatar also broke records in Box Office receipts.
His budgets are ridiculous and to be honest a waste. Avatar could have been done for much less, but he knows big budgets that get around in media make big bucks. If his $800 million dollar movie about a teenage cyborg doesn't prove this then I don't know what will. And I'm calling it now, this film will come with some 4D expansion required for all cinemas that will "enhance" the experience.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
His budgets are ridiculous and to be honest a waste. Avatar could have been done for much less, but he knows big budgets that get around in media make big bucks. If his $800 million dollar movie about a teenage cyborg doesn't prove this then I don't know what will. And I'm calling it now, this film will come with some 4D expansion required for all cinemas that will "enhance" the experience.
I don't disagree with a single point you just made. It's insane and Americans love sensationalism, like how the ancient Romans did (ie coliseum, aqueducts, etc.). With access to funds, Americans love commissioning mega projects, like the emperors did. I hope Emporer Cameron sets records again when he finally gets around to making Battle Angel... for the sheer epic audacity of it! How can anyone not love it? Makes me proud to be an American... (Yes, I know he's Canadian)

PeterAlt

Original Poster
What a peculiar thing to say!:( It's almost bordering on slagging off people who gave your thread serious replies.

Then you go on to say you have not been serious at all, only to in the very next post 'like' Lee's suggestion to bring Cameron and serious science in.
Come on now. This is a good thread, with a serious suggestion that deserves serious consideration. Or even fun banter and out-of-the-box blue sky thinking. No need to diminish any of that.
I hear you. But the people in charge are not as crazy as I am. So, the best one can do is joke about it. Don't get me wrong! Even though I wasn't "serious", it still would be seriously cool if it were to ever happen. Those in charge would label anyone "insane" for even thinking about it. In a way, I'm making fun of the current cost conscience attitude within the company. I'm also making fun of Cameron's ego. Seriously, I think my original suggestion is a good idea. But, seriously, Cameron would put a price on it so high that Iger's head would likely spin like a bad episode of Bugs Bunny (or Roger Rabbit). That's the sad truth, me thinks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom