How strict is Disney on height requirements for rides?

joanna71985

They are very strict. I've been on rides where DS was checked more than once - at the entrance and before boarding the ride.

I always wished, though, that Disney would go to a wristband system like I've seen in other parks. Get measured once, get a wristband based on height, that's it.

Disneyland used to have a system like this, I believe. But it had to be removed because of people abusing the system. It's sad. I think a system like this would be a great idea. But because of a few people who had to break the rules, it was taken away.

elizs77

Disneyland used to have a system like this, I believe. But it had to be removed because of people abusing the system. It's sad. I think a system like this would be a great idea. But because of a few people who had to break the rules, it was taken away.

I know, I know. Something that would make everyone's life easier, and it won't work in all circumstances b/c of some bad apples. I just was ~wishing.~ :p

The wristband we got at another park a few years ago is one of those that they put on pretty tight, and you have to rip it off to get it off.

Phonedave

My youngest daughter was JUST 40" when EE first opened. She got on Mission Space, Space Mountain, and a number of other rides. When we went to EE the CM had her stand at the stick and she JUST fit under the stick. He could have fit one peice of paper between the stick and her head. He stood there for a few seconds and you could tell he was thinking it over. Finaly he said "I am sorry, but I just can't let her on" He looked like he was expecting me to hit him. My kid started to say somthing about having ridden other rides, but I just explained to her that it was for her safety and she would be tall enought next time. I have never seen a look of relief like I did on that CM's face.

-dave

iKat

They're not only strict for your safety, but also strict because it's their job. Like FallenAngel, I've worked in attractions (not at Disney), and have dealt with height restrictions.
It is a serious safety issue, and if they let a child on a ride that's even 1/2 inch too short they will get in trouble for doing it, which could lead to losing their job. Minimum wage is not enough money to be called every name in the book because you're willing to risk your child's safety for a ride, but I'm still not gonna lose my job over it.

Please consider your child's safety. Restrictions are put in place because that's the minimum acceptable height for the seat and restraints to properly protect your child.

Also phonedave, that's a great attitude to take, and it's the few guests like you that can make the day much better.

disneylemons

They are very strict on the Dino Whirl in AK.. it looks like a 'kiddy' ride and my niece had a stroke because she didn't meet the height req... but after my sister-in-law and I rode it we were glad she wasn't allowed - it really spins around faster and harder than you think - so there is a reason for the rules..

Phonedave

They're not only strict for your safety, but also strict because it's their job. Like FallenAngel, I've worked in attractions (not at Disney), and have dealt with height restrictions.
It is a serious safety issue, and if they let a child on a ride that's even 1/2 inch too short they will get in trouble for doing it, which could lead to losing their job. Minimum wage is not enough money to be called every name in the book because you're willing to risk your child's safety for a ride, but I'm still not gonna lose my job over it.

Please consider your child's safety. Restrictions are put in place because that's the minimum acceptable height for the seat and restraints to properly protect your child.

Also phonedave, that's a great attitude to take, and it's the few guests like you that can make the day much better.

Thanks for that.

And as far as the thing about "even a 1/2"" - Here is how I explained to it my child.

If they let someone who was a 1/4" under the height on, but saying "well its just a 1/4" " what happens when someone who is a 1/2" too short comes by he says "I am only 1/4" shorter than the last person" and then so and and so on. Once you start letting people who are under the bar in, because they are "just a bit to short" you open up a slippery slope where. In order to be fair to everyone, you HAVE to establish a bright line were nobody who is shorter gets in.

-dave

JiminyandTink

It's pretty strict but I've seen kids get by when a CM is speaking with someone, but really it's for safety so it's probably not worth it. Just do a child-swap it's a life saver!

They are very strict. My daughter measured 40" outside of Test Track and we waited in line and were about to get on and the CM inside said she didn't quite make the 40" cutoff and turned her away. I was not happy at all. I'm fine if she wasn't tall enough but to have 2 CM's outside say she was fine and then wait in a long line only to be turned away is ridiculous. Isn't 40 inches the same inside and outside? I could have spent that time somewhere else with her and actually gotten on the ride. They really need to have some sort of identification for height. Sea World had the bracelet and I thought that was great. But if that has been abused in the past, what about a stamp, you can't transfer that to someone else.

Disney4Eva

Huh. I had no idea they were so strict. I must've witnessed a rare moment, then. I was walking into Dinosaur a few years ago, and a CM was measuring a boy who was JUST under the height requirement. Like, just barely (and I think he was barefoot and had pretty flat hair, too). And after a minute of anticipation, the CM went "Ah, go on in!" resulting in many cheers.
I suppose Dinosaur can be safe enough if the kid is very close to the height requirement, and if they get seated in one of the inward seats, they should be okay.
But yeah, I'm glad CMs are mostly strict about it, especially on the more risky rides like Soarin' and Test Track n' whatnot.

breakin2

For the people saying it's dumb to jeopardize your kid's saftey to sneak on a ride, I think in many case you're wrong. My daughter was 38 inches when we went two weeks ago. We didn't try to sneak her on any rides, but to be honest, most rides had little danger to her if we did. Soaring, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Star Tours, etc. were all perfectly safe for her at her current height.

Phonedave

For the people saying it's dumb to jeopardize your kid's saftey to sneak on a ride, I think in many case you're wrong. My daughter was 38 inches when we went two weeks ago. We didn't try to sneak her on any rides, but to be honest, most rides had little danger to her if we did. Soaring, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Star Tours, etc. were all perfectly safe for her at her current height.

And your degree in ride physics and human physiology is from where ?

Sorry to be so snarky, especialy to a new member, but just how did you determine that these rides were safe?

-dave

breakin2

And your degree in ride physics and human physiology is from where ?

Sorry to be so snarky, especialy to a new member, but just how did you determine that these rides were safe?

-dave

Uhm, how about the fact that you're harnessed in and have no possible way of falling out? I don't need a degree. I have common sense.

Eyorefan

I'm not saying that you should try to sneak your kid in at all. I will say that even if you think your child might be just a hair short, if you want them to ride, have them measure them anyway.

We went to Disney with my nephew when he was 8. The boy is short for his age, (He is 16 now and he is still under 5 feet). He was too short to ride most rides and at the time, it didn't bother him that much, but he really wanted to ride Splash Mountian so we said that we would take him just to see. He went to get measured, and had to take off his hat. This put him just under the bar. We were all ready to walk away when my nephew started talking to the CM and basically talked the guy into measureing him with his hat on. The CM let him go on. And guess what? He didn't fall out of the log.

Montyboy

Uhm, how about the fact that you're harnessed in and have no possible way of falling out? I don't need a degree. I have common sense.

Clearly it's worth the risk.
Maybe falling out is not the problem. Where does the back of the seat sit on your daughter's back - or is it her neck? So many things seem obvious that common sense should rule, but every once in a while someone comes up with a really good reason.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Regarding Breakin2...
Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG

njDizFan

Sure why not. what about 37 1/2", how about 37", why not 35", heck just let everyone on.
their park, their insurance, their engineers, their rules.

Disney does not care what we do!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom