How strict is Disney about the pace requirements?

CP99

Thanks for the info.....here is my other "issue" - I have the bladder of a GNAT. It about KILLED me to go 6 miles Wednesday and not stop for a restroom break.

Are there several places to stop aong the way in case I drink too much water?:confused:

I am so afraid all of these things will slow me to slower than the pace requirement!

Here's something I learned this past year. Last January was my very first full marathon. Actually, when I decided to sign up for the Disney marathon (because the 1/2 marathon was closed) I hadn't even ran so much as a 5k. I hadn't ran anything. Not even one mile. And this was August 2009 that I decided to run the January 2010 full marathon. (Although by Jan 10, 2010 I had run a half marathon and a 8 mile Turkey Trot - so the Disney full marathon wasn't my first race.)

During my training runs, I never really had to go to the bathroom. I carried water - even for my 20 miler - in one of the water bottles that has the hand grip. And since it was the cold time of the year for my training, I only needed that one full bottle for my 20 mile run.

What I do is: the day before the race I won't drink any dehydrates. No coffee, no tea, no sodas. Only water. I make certain that my body is fully hydrated. But I made a huge mistake on race day. I had access to the Race Retreat Tent. You've heard how cold that day was. I grabbed an (unneeded) bottle of water in the tent. I was worried about dehydration - as are a lot of runners. But since I made certain that my body was properly hydrated going into that day, and since it was so cold, I shouldn't have drank that bottle. I spent the first half of the race stopping at disgusting port-a-potties. It was gross. It was too cold to sweat off the extra water.

Train. Go by your training and listen to your body. Don't over hydrate, don't under-hydrate. Don't listen to anyone/anything else. Your training teaches you what your body needs. On race day, if you start the race properly hydrated and you take in only what your body needs, you shouldn't really need to stop for a bathroom very often, if at all. I guess I'm still a "rookie" but that is what I've learned. I am running the 2011 full. This time, if I have to stop off for a bathroom, I waiting for a theme park bathroom! Those port-a-potties are really gross! Guys have it much better.

WishIwasThere

I was chatting with a fellow runner the other day during a trianing run about sweeping ad WDW. He made the point that there are alot of people out there who really don't know how long 13.1 miles really is and they go out and run a few miles a few times and say, "hey I could do a 1/2 marathon." The day of the race comes, with little to no training, and after a few miles, they either injure themselves or realize that 'holy cow this is hard', and start walking. So Erin, I think that if you are training, and is sounds like you are, you should have no problem completing it.

My personal goal is to be albe to run 15 miles by Jan 1 so I know for a fact that I can to a 1/2. So far I'm up to 8 miles and still feeling pretty good. Just have to increase my weekly miles slowly so I don't hurt myself.

Erin_Akey

Original Poster
8 miles is what I am up to as well! But not running the whole way. I can run 3 miles without walking, but then walk about 2/10ths and then run again.

I just want to finish this race so bad. It is going to be such a personal accomplishment for me. This is me in Disney in January 2008.....

So for me to go from 325 pounds to finishing this race would be HUGE. I just do not want to get swept. After losing 135 pounds, I want to do this!!!! I am very tall with long legs, so even at a fast walk, I am usually at a 15 minute mile, so if I can run even half, I think I will be ok!

GETTIN SO EXCIted!!!!:sohappy:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
8 miles is what I am up to as well! But not running the whole way. I can run 3 miles without walking, but then walk about 2/10ths and then run again.

I just want to finish this race so bad. It is going to be such a personal accomplishment for me. This is me in Disney in January 2008.....

So for me to go from 325 pounds to finishing this race would be HUGE. I just do not want to get swept. After losing 135 pounds, I want to do this!!!! I am very tall with long legs, so even at a fast walk, I am usually at a 15 minute mile, so if I can run even half, I think I will be ok!

Don't pysche yourself out! You'll do fine. Just train hard and smart. Good luck! I'll say hi if I see ya!

MCC1

You are totally asking the right questions and on a great ramp up since your first post...I don't think you're going to have a problem, you're obviously pretty dialed in on goal setting and achieving - so enjoy the training and don't overthink the race.

JillC LI

As a VERY new runner i am really nervous about the maintaining of the 16:00 pace for the half marathon in January. I know i will need to build up to the 13.1 miles, but for instance today my run this morning was 3.7 miles and it shows my pace of 14.6.

i just fear when i work up to 13 miles, my pace will be a lot slower. I DO NOT want them picking me up and not letting me finish. Doing a half is a huge goal for me after tons of weight lost over the last 16 months.

How strict are they about this? Anyone else run the half before who was a newcomer and slower?

Thanks for any info.

You can do it! I can't answer your questions about the sweep, but I can tell you this: Five years ago I took up long distance running. Over the course of 7 months I went from being able to run 2 miles to running a full marathon. I started out running at about an 11 minute/mile pace and figured I'd get slower as I added distance. Surprisingly, by increasing my distance slowly but surely, my pace never dropped, and I consistently ran at the same pace whether I was running 10 miles or 20 miles. My body seemed to adjust for the longer distances. (I did, however, get faster at the much shorter distances as a result of building up my stamina.)

I highly recommend the book "Non-Runner's Guide to Marathon Training" by David Whitsett. It teaches you how running is as much about the mind as the body. And it has some great training plans, even if you're running a Half marathon, I believe. That book was a turning point for me in my running, and now I'm thoroughly addicted! :lol: Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your amazing weight loss.

JimboJones123

If you are running, don't run the first five miles out of the gate and crash. Run a half mile, walk 100 yards. This pace should keep you running well more than twice as much as a single running burst would give you.

dreamfinder

You can do it! I can't answer your questions about the sweep, but I can tell you this: Five years ago I took up long distance running. Over the course of 7 months I went from being able to run 2 miles to running a full marathon. I started out running at about an 11 minute/mile pace and figured I'd get slower as I added distance. Surprisingly, by increasing my distance slowly but surely, my pace never dropped, and I consistently ran at the same pace whether I was running 10 miles or 20 miles. My body seemed to adjust for the longer distances. (I did, however, get faster at the much shorter distances as a result of building up my stamina.)

Ayup. Most training programs tell you not to worry about speed when you are adding distance. It will come naturally over time as your conditioning and muscles improve. Once you are comfortable with the distance, then you can worry about trying to improve your time.

WishIwasThere

As a new overweight runner, I share Erin's fears. But I've been running for about 8 months now and just last weekend I did 11 miles, and could have done more. Afterwards I was like...Yeah I will be so ready for Disney. Of course the legs were killing me for a couple days since I went from 8 mile for long run to 11 miles. Finally did spin class last night and it must have flushed any remaining lactic acid from my legs and now they feel great.

JillC LI

As a new overweight runner, I share Erin's fears. But I've been running for about 8 months now and just last weekend I did 11 miles, and could have done more. Afterwards I was like...Yeah I will be so ready for Disney. Of course the legs were killing me for a couple days since I went from 8 mile for long run to 11 miles. Finally did spin class last night and it must have flushed any remaining lactic acid from my legs and now they feel great.

Congratulations and good for you!! :sohappy: Isn't it just the best feeling in the world to conquer a distance you've never run before (or even one you haven't run in a very long time)?!

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
The first year I ran (the half Marathon. . . I'm still not crazy enough to do the full one :lookaroun) I had fears that I'd be chugging along one step ahead of the sweep crew.

The next day, I went to spectate the full marathon and actually saw the sweep crew in the parking lot of the ticket and transportation center.

I went and spoke with one woman there and she seemed very nice . . . not the sort of baby-eating, blood-dripping-off-the-fangs monster I had imagined.:lookaroun

I'm going to go with my wife this year and she has the attitude of: "Hey, the bus is air-conditiond, there are margaritas back at the hotel. What's there to worry about?"

. . . so if anyone on this thread ends up on the bus . . . look for us.:wave:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The first year I ran (the half Marathon. . . I'm still not crazy enough to do the full one :lookaroun) I had fears that I'd be chugging along one step ahead of the sweep crew.

The next day, I went to spectate the full marathon and actually saw the sweep crew in the parking lot of the ticket and transportation center.

I went and spoke with one woman there and she seemed very nice . . . not the sort of baby-eating, blood dripping off the fangs monster I had imagined.:lookaroun

I'm going to go with my wife this year and she has the attitude of: "Hey, the bus is air-conditiond, there are margaritas back at the hotel. What's there to worry about?"

. . . so if anyone on this thread ends up on the bus . . . look for us.:wave:
HUH. I always envisioned club bouncers or something. You know you get that one runner that keeps saying, "no man, I know I can do it"

Wait, it is a bus? I wonder how many they have or how long they make you ride before a relief bus comes and all the people on the other bus get taken back to the finish line?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
HUH. I always envisioned club bouncers or something. You know you get that one runner that keeps saying, "no man, I know I can do it"

Wait, it is a bus? I wonder how many they have or how long they make you ride before a relief bus comes and all the people on the other bus get taken back to the finish line?

If I remember correctly, they were charter-type busses - not the typical Disney busses and they had two or three. I would guess that they have it set up so people won't be on the busses too long.

It was interesting because, from the ticket and transportation center, I saw the complete field pass by - from first to absolute last.

The last two people were a man and a woman who were struggling every step of the way . . . walking a little bit, jogging a little bit . . .

And the thing is, they had gone 4 miles. Even though they likely didn't make it much farther than that, they did a LOT more than many people ever do just to show up and try.

. . . and I wouldn't be surprised if they were back in 2010 and also wouldn't be surprised if they finished.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
If I remember correctly, they were charter-type busses - not the typical Disney busses and they had two or three. I would guess that they have it set up so people won't be on the busses too long.

It was interesting because, from the ticket and transportation center, I saw the complete field pass by - from first to absolute last.

The last two people were a man and a woman who were struggling every step of the way . . . walking a little bit, jogging a little bit . . .

And the thing is, they had gone 4 miles. Even though they likely didn't make it much farther than that, they did a LOT more than many people ever do just to show up and try.

. . . and I wouldn't be surprised if they were back in 2010 and also wouldn't be surprised if they finished.
I would rather try and get swept than not think I could and not try. Good for them. You know that would be one of the finest victories of the day. There is NO shame in at least trying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom