How much "Ruin" do the parks have left?

Disstevefan1

I very clearly see where this is heading. The narrative has definitely changed, in that people seem to often tout how much better a Universal experience is, in that it lacks the stress of a Disney vacation. No need to get up at 6 in the morning to grab fastpasses, or now deal with the headache of the reservation system that is now unnecessary considering the lifting of safety measures. People also seem to consider it to be more affordable with more perks, as they've showed love to their APs and their hotels offer more than Disney as they continue to cut more and more.

Disney has also been premiering attractions that I would consider to range from mediocre to downright trash. Yet, since 2018, Universal has turned the narrative around on their attractions and have delivered some truly impressive additions. If the Studios in Florida can get an actual solid attraction or two and once Epic Universe opens, I think we're going to see a significant shift away from Disney. At that point, Universal will most likely be seen as a much stronger competitor because it'll take on the narrative of being a multi-day resort destination, or at least much more-so than it is now.
I agree with you about the guest experience WDW VS. U/IOA Florida, but I think U/IOA does not have enough resort rooms to put a dent in WDWs business, perhaps U/IOA’s lack or rooms contribute to a better guest experience?

My old saying is, “Going to SeaWorld is a vacation from the crowds”. I really do like SeaWorld. 😀

Djsfantasi

I don't have a problem with other peoples opinions, but the use of the word "Woke" is not only stupid sounding but it is used in a derogatory manner that tends to negate any legitimate stand on any situation. It is just another term used to not describe anything and confuse and sound evil. Perhaps "awaken to fair and moral thinking" might work better, but "woke" causes me to immediately move on. It is sort of like the geniuses that came up with "Defund the Police". It doesn't even come close to what it is supposed to mean, but it makes people angry when misunderstanding it is not corrected.
I totally agree. These terms have come to be nothing but propaganda and are misused.

I ignore any post that uses propaganda terms and cannot intelligently present their viewpoint.

In general or specifically in regard to Disney.

My issues are threefold.

3) Advertising products with hype instead of a reasonable description.

2) A definite lack of maintenance. Paint that is chipping and merely painted over without sanding and prep work. The chicken wire visible in Flights of Pandora stand-by line. And many other examples.

1) Overcrowding. I’ve been visiting WDW since 1972. The parks cannot handle the current volume of guests. How can anyone enjoy a park with 2-3 hour waits! Personally, I’ll wait in one line for an hour and maybe a second ride for forty minutes. Then, no more than twenty minutes per ride. Fastpass+ was great but a visit this past April was greatly annoying. I won’t go back without Fastpass+.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I bet there were/are people that attended Disneyland in the 1950s or 60s that hated what the park became in the 70s and 80s.

I am sure there are those that visited Magic Kingdom in the 70s that would probably claim it was better compared to 1993 when I first went.
Well, they would be wrong as well. The place was basically barren. So many attractions missing or being built. It was nice but nothing like it is now, park wise, but degree of difficulty to visit, compared to then... it was great back then.

Goofyernmost

I totally agree. These terms have come to be nothing but propaganda and are misused.

I ignore any post that uses propaganda terms and cannot intelligently present their viewpoint.

In general or specifically in regard to Disney.

My issues are threefold.

3) Advertising products with hype instead of a reasonable description.

2) A definite lack of maintenance. Paint that is chipping and merely painted over without sanding and prep work. The chicken wire visible in Flights of Pandora stand-by line. And many other examples.

1) Overcrowding. I’ve been visiting WDW since 1972. The parks cannot handle the current volume of guests. How can anyone enjoy a park with 2-3 hour waits! Personally, I’ll wait in one line for an hour and maybe a second ride for forty minutes. Then, no more than twenty minutes per ride. Fastpass+ was great but a visit this past April was greatly annoying. I won’t go back without Fastpass+.
Overcrowding should not be completely blamed on the wait time. Fast pass has done that to the parks and has since it was introduced. FP+ just made it worse by making almost every attraction be a FP+ attraction. That was done strictly because the good attractions were filled first leaving nothing for others to get. So what did they get, FP's to rides that never needed them before but now are causing log jams in mediocre attractions.

Advertising hyperbole is ok as long as it doesn't completely deceive. Marketing insist on painting the brightest, most colorful and exciting spin on things since advertising started to exist. But, this is a theme park and everyone reacts differently to things. To many it may be exactly what they claim it to be.

Maintenance: There's an old saying that goes... "When you are up to your butt in Alligators it is difficult to remember that your original intention was to drain the swamp". What that means is that things are naturally prioritized and sometimes chipped paint doesn't come up to the top of the list. I know, I know... back when Walt was around they would have stripped the paint and redone it. What we all tend to forget is that back when Walt was around there was one (1) park and society was not made up of jerks that constantly damage property. All the rides were practically new and breakdowns were a lot fewer mostly because of that.

Poseidon Quest

I agree with you about the guest experience WDW VS. U/IOA Florida, but I think U/IOA does not have enough resort rooms to put a dent in WDWs business, perhaps U/IOA’s lack or rooms contribute to a better guest experience?

My old saying is, “Going to SeaWorld is a vacation from the crowds”. I really do like SeaWorld. 😀

I agree, but I'm seeing Universal's plan here. I think Volcano Bay was their first real step into becoming more than a two day destination and since 2014, they've now opened Cabana Bay, Aventura, Sapphire Falls, and the Endless Summer resorts. Obviously Epic will have that large hotel attached, but taking a look at the land outside that hotel, it's been speculated that the footprint is perfect for another potential 2 to 3 hotels. I think it's going to take until Epic's opening, but Universal will definitely become a much stronger competitor in that respect.

Poseidon Quest

The last two rides done by Universal are great. Both Hagrid's & the Velocicoaster are amazing. You want to see trash though, go on Fast and Furious. Universal is getting better, and Epic Universe should help, but that is probably four years down the road, while Disney will
have both the Guardians coaster & Tron up and going long before that.

Right now, Disney is far from "ruin" and Universal is still a ways away from a multi-park competitor.

Yes, I'll fully acknowledge that F&F is a baffling mistake. The over-reliance on simulators in the parks are also a large detractor. However, they've cleared reversed course. Bourne might be screen heavy, but it's an interesting and unique show that might not be exceptional but is still a solid addition. I'm also looking at Super Nintendo World, attractions that are unique to Universal Beijing, and the now finished Jurassic World and Secret Life of Pets at Universal Hollywood. If Universal can bring that level of quality attractions to USF and to Epic (which I anticipate they likely will) then Tron and Guardians won't matter. Tron seemed cool when it premiered at Shanghai, but in retrospect, it's short and lacks content. I also have very little expectation for Guardians, considering how poorly Disney has handled all of its other Marvel attractions. I'm skeptical that these additions can compete with what Universal will most likely continue to offer.

OG Runner

Yes, I'll fully acknowledge that F&F is a baffling mistake. The over-reliance on simulators in the parks are also a large detractor. However, they've cleared reversed course. Bourne might be screen heavy, but it's an interesting and unique show that might not be exceptional but is still a solid addition. I'm also looking at Super Nintendo World, attractions that are unique to Universal Beijing, and the now finished Jurassic World and Secret Life of Pets at Universal Hollywood. If Universal can bring that level of quality attractions to USF and to Epic (which I anticipate they likely will) then Tron and Guardians won't matter. Tron seemed cool when it premiered at Shanghai, but in retrospect, it's short and lacks content. I also have very little expectation for Guardians, considering how poorly Disney has handled all of its other Marvel attractions. I'm skeptical that these additions can compete with what Universal will most likely continue to offer.

Well, that is a lot of "ifs". To say Guardians & Tron won't matter is puzzling. I have noted in the past Tron will be an unthemed Hagrid's.
Guardians on the other hand will be a coaster on a whole new level. You know the lines for the Velocicoaster, expect the same lines when
Guardians opens, your skepticism aside.

Disstevefan1

I agree, but I'm seeing Universal's plan here. I think Volcano Bay was their first real step into becoming more than a two day destination and since 2014, they've now opened Cabana Bay, Aventura, Sapphire Falls, and the Endless Summer resorts. Obviously Epic will have that large hotel attached, but taking a look at the land outside that hotel, it's been speculated that the footprint is perfect for another potential 2 to 3 hotels. I think it's going to take until Epic's opening, but Universal will definitely become a much stronger competitor in that respect.
Agreed. And this competition forces both to be better and the tourist benefits.

Trackmaster

I think that the people who want stand-by only are living in a fantasy land. There will always be people passing you in a priority line, and there's nothing that will ever stop this. There will always be people with recovery passes to make up for breakdowns and guest experience problems and there will always be ADA passes available -- this is mandated by law and its not going anywhere. The more you dig your heels in the ground on stand-by only, the more people are going to find ways to goof the system, and find a way to pass you as you're toiling away in stand-by.

Yes, free Passes to all makes the stand-by line longer, there's no escaping that. But the priority line will always be making your wait times longer, and I think its just in your best interest to institutionalize, put it on an app, and make it free for everyone. Its clicking a few button guys, its not really that hard. In the end, it kind of comes out in the wash production-wise, but it makes it so that if you click a few buttons, you'll get on the same number of rides, but you're allowed to walk around the park and enjoy yourself during your comeback time instead of toiling in a line being herded around like animals.

Beacon Joe

Really? I did not know that.

I may have to price out a Tokyo trip....

Dude, there were some killer deals on round-trip tickets to Tokyo about 2 months ago, with pretty flexible rescheduling options. Not sure if they're still available. But from the east coast, the Tokyo ticket was cheaper than a round-trip ticket to San Juan, which floored me.

The_Jobu

Dude, there were some killer deals on round-trip tickets to Tokyo about 2 months ago, with pretty flexible rescheduling options. Not sure if they're still available. But from the east coast, the Tokyo ticket was cheaper than a round-trip ticket to San Juan, which floored me.

Oh wow. I completely missed the boat on this. I always thought my eventual Tokyo trip would be years down the road after saving up. This changes a lot!

Beacon Joe

Oh wow. I completely missed the boat on this. I always thought my eventual Tokyo trip would be years down the road after saving up. This changes a lot!

One of my employees snagged two tickets to Tokyo and let me know about the deal. He's on leave for a couple of days, but I'll check with him to see how he found it and will report back. I think it was AA, but don't quote me on that. All I know is that he has his flights scheduled for this Fall, but he can reschedule for a date throughout 2022 if need be.

eliza61nyc

One of my employees snagged two tickets to Tokyo and let me know about the deal. He's on leave for a couple of days, but I'll check with him to see how he found it and will report back. I think it was AA, but don't quote me on that. All I know is that he has his flights scheduled for this Fall, but he can reschedule for a date throughout 2022 if need be.
Okay, what do we consider a deal? I just looked to snag a flight for 9/3 and the cheapest from PHL was 1285.00 (Kayak) pp. I did find one flight for 786.00 on air canada but they only had one seat. lol, florida it is

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom