How much longer does Shrek 4-D have?

JT3000

There's a reason it didn't come close to these wait times on 99% of days prior to COVID, and it's not because it suddenly got super popular during the shutdown. The inflated wait times are 100% the result of reduced capacity and efficiency. That's all there is to it.
It was still getting long posted wait times pretty regularly before COVID. And the actual wait times are still shorter than the posted ones.

Minnesota disney fan

I'm just curious? Are most of the posters who want to do away with Shrek locals or AP holders who go frequently to Universal?

We go once a year and we always see Shrek. It has always been crowded (as well as Minions).

I think there will always be a "new" audience for Shrek, as it is a classic, IMO. FWIW.

lazyboy97o

I'm just curious? Are most of the posters who want to do away with Shrek locals or AP holders who go frequently to Universal?

We go once a year and we always see Shrek. It has always been crowded (as well as Minions).

I think there will always be a "new" audience for Shrek, as it is a classic, IMO. FWIW.
Is something really crowded when it’s half full? When was the last time the second theater was used?

OG Runner

It could be the kind of ride that would reach classic status, as you said, the IP is really enjoyed.
The attraction, however, has a number of problems. It is definitely showing it's age. The projection
is not clear. The ride features themselves are clearly in need of "tuning-up". It could be a nice
attraction, but it definitely needs to be upgraded.

crispy

We avoid Shrek and Fast and Furious because they are both physically painful. The Shrek storyline is weird, but my body ached at the end of it.

Minnesota disney fan

I think a new attraction like Secret Life of Pets is great.
However, there are alot of people who love Shrek and would still go to it. It is a Classic, and I don't think will ever get old to guests.
Maybe they can keep Shrek and put in a new one? Hope so!

jeanericuser001

I think it will go into KidZone.
That is about as likely as universal opening a shrek 4d themed burlesque show. When universal eliminates an attraction they very rarely simply move it to another location within the same park. Besides at the moment shrek still brings in a fairly solid amount of traffic thanks to its location. If they wanted to replace it then it would have to be based on a franchise that is particularly important to universal as this is typically one of the first attractions guests will see when they enter the park. That is why hitchcock got such top billing as initially they wanted it so not every attraction was just for the little kids. Shrek replaced it when they wanted to switch priorities as well as encourage a franchise that universal had long term plans for. What ever universal puts in Shrek's place will have to be a franchise so important to universal they are ready to scrap a major franchise in order to help promote another.

JT3000

That is about as likely as universal opening a shrek 4d themed burlesque show. When universal eliminates an attraction they very rarely simply move it to another location within the same park. Besides at the moment shrek still brings in a fairly solid amount of traffic thanks to its location. If they wanted to replace it then it would have to be based on a franchise that is particularly important to universal as this is typically one of the first attractions guests will see when they enter the park. That is why hitchcock got such top billing as initially they wanted it so not every attraction was just for the little kids. Shrek replaced it when they wanted to switch priorities as well as encourage a franchise that universal had long term plans for. What ever universal puts in Shrek's place will have to be a franchise so important to universal they are ready to scrap a major franchise in order to help promote another.
I think Shrek stopped being a major franchise a long time ago, and as you said, much of its traffic is due to its location. While Pets doesn't come close to reaching Shrek's peak of cultural relevance, it really wouldn't take that much for a replacement to be considered worthwhile at this point. So long as it isn't something too obscure or niche, people will still filter into the attractions at the front of the park.

That being said, it is somewhat of a shame that they don't usually repurpose previously used IPs, Kong notwithstanding, as Shrek was always a no brainer for a dark ride.

jeanericuser001

I think Shrek stopped being a major franchise a long time ago, and as you said, much of its traffic is due to its location. While Pets doesn't come close to reaching Shrek's peak of cultural relevance, it really wouldn't take that much for a replacement to be considered worthwhile at this point. So long as it isn't something too obscure or niche, people will still filter into the attractions at the front of the park.

That being said, it is somewhat of a shame that they don't usually repurpose previously used IPs, Kong notwithstanding, as Shrek was always a no brainer for a dark ride.
If that were the case then merchandise for shrek would be all over the discount racks. The ride would no longer bring in people. The youtube clips would get no hits. Hell even the shrek memes would be completely forgotten. Alas that has not happened which means universal can still milk it even if its bordering on powdered milk. Its still a major franchise and as said before, Universal doesn't dump something unless they are absolutely certain there is no more financial benefits to keeping that attraction. That is what ultimately killed barney. Barney brought in barely anyone. The sales were anemic. Hell you couldn't even find barney on tv much any more where is shrek still gets views on streaming services.

Brer Oswald

If that were the case then merchandise for shrek would be all over the discount racks. The ride would no longer bring in people. The youtube clips would get no hits. Hell even the shrek memes would be completely forgotten. Alas that has not happened which means universal can still milk it even if its bordering on powdered milk. Its still a major franchise and as said before, Universal doesn't dump something unless they are absolutely certain there is no more financial benefits to keeping that attraction. That is what ultimately killed barney. Barney brought in barely anyone. The sales were anemic. Hell you couldn't even find barney on tv much any more where is shrek still gets views on streaming services.
SLoP will never reach the level of popularity that Shrek has. Neither will most of Illuminations/Dreamworks franchises. Shrek is a goldmine. An animation icon (for better or worse). It’s quite baffling that Universal has access to Shrek and Spongebob, the two biggest animation franchises of the 21st century, and refuses to do anything interesting with them.

champdisney

Whoever firmly believes that Shrek is no longer relevant or popular today is strongly mistaken. Between what @jeanericuser001 and @Brer Oswald have mentioned, it is 100% factual that Shrek has ceased to fade into obscurity. Universal is currently working on a 5th Shrek film as we speak. How’s that?

I do think Shrek 4D has ran its course. The short film has/had been available to watch on Netflix for years now. You can literally watch it on your phone while standing in line for the show itself. Shrek is deserving of an unique attraction.

Perhaps in the third gate?

Jon81uk

do think Shrek 4D has ran its course. The short film has/had been available to watch on Netflix for years now. You can literally watch it on your phone while standing in line for the show itself. Shrek is deserving of an unique attraction.
Yep, the attraction has potentially reached end of life, but the character is still classic, in the same way many Disney characters are still remembered 30+ years after their movie.

The Grand Inquisitor

According to Alicia Stella The Villain Con ride will probably replace Shrek instead of Pets. Pets is rumored now to replace Blue Man Group. What do you guys think of this? A Villain Con ride similar to Toy Story Mania and Men In Black would be awesome!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom