How much do you usually tip Mousekeeping per day?

Steve-B

Are you tipping for the service you got yesterday? Or are you tipping for the service you are about to get?

Why tip before you get the service? Isn't the tip supposed to be to reward good service?

That's the way I look at it. The last time we stayed on-property (WL) I tipped $5 or $10 every day (4 people in room). Didn't help the level of service at all.

I will probably still tip them next time we stay on site, but I'll think about it pretty hard first.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Yeah, because minimum wage is so bountiful.

Do you tip the cashier at Wal-Mart? How about the person at Dunkin Donuts who gets your coffee in the morning?

A lot of people make minimum wage that you come across in your everyday life. Are you supposed to tip all of them?

The fact is, Disney's Housekeeping really isn't all that great. Stay at a Loews Hotel and you'll see good housekeeping. Just so I'm not throwing it out there, here's what I mean:

-Disney housekeepers are notorious for coming at the worst time. Right in the middle of the afternoon, when, if you have kids, you want to go back to your room for a nap. So, either we get there and they're doing our room and we have to wait. Or, we get there before they've done our room and we just put the Do Not Disturb sign out.
-They rarely change the sheets.
-They do a lousy job vacuuming.
-They don't clean the windows or balcony.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

Do you tip the cashier at Wal-Mart? How about the person at Dunkin Donuts who gets your coffee in the morning?

A lot of people make minimum wage that you come across in your everyday life. Are you supposed to tip all of them?

The fact is, Disney's Housekeeping really isn't all that great. Stay at a Loews Hotel and you'll see good housekeeping. Just so I'm not throwing it out there, here's what I mean:

-Disney housekeepers are notorious for coming at the worst time. Right in the middle of the afternoon, when, if you have kids, you want to go back to your room for a nap. So, either we get there and they're doing our room and we have to wait. Or, we get there before they've done our room and we just put the Do Not Disturb sign out.
-They rarely change the sheets.
-They do a lousy job vacuuming.
-They don't clean the windows or balcony.

Yes, I tip a lot of people. I tip the taxi driver, barber, housekeeping, baristas, etc...

As a matter of fact I do believe you said that you tip mousekeeping too. So you're upset that everyone else is tipping because....? I think you personlize this too much. If we tip, then that is our business. If you don't then that is yours. It just sounds like you're trying to get us to see the error of our ways. :shrug:

Upvote 0

Annielkd

Exactly.

$2 per person per day. But if you can, then tip more.

Sorry, but that's crazy. There are 5 of us. Granted, this time, we're staying DVC, so we don't get housekeeping, but normally, we'll stay 16 nights at a regular resort. You're saying I should tip them $160?

I don't think so.

I haven't actually thought about that. But, you still do get some housekeeping from DVC, just every 4 days. If I were staying that long... I would probably see the level of housekeeping and tip accordingly. One year when my son was about 6 we had this awesome woman who would leave all kinds of treasures all over the place. The place was immaculate and my son LOVED the towels made into animals. She was fantastic. She would sometimes knock when we were there and give us extra lotion/shampoo, and she would chat with us all the time too. For that service I'm sure I tipped way more than I should but she REALLY made it a good time for us. In your case if they just did basic... I would probably just give 20 bucks... but, if they went out of their way... 40-60. If they made the trip extra special... I'd give 100.00. I know it sounds a lot, and it is... but, this one person (who I wish I wrote a letter to Disney about) was the ONLY one who's gone above and beyond. On our anniversary she threw pixy dust all over the room... and then had to clean it up. It was MAGICAL!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

As a matter of fact I do believe you said that you tip mousekeeping too. So you're upset that everyone else is tipping because....? I think you personlize this too much. If we tip, then that is our business. If you don't then that is yours. It just sounds like you're trying to get us to see the error of our ways. :shrug:

Not at all. I see nothing wrong with tipping housekeeping. I just don't think it's something people should be slighted for not doing.

I just find it a bit hypocritical to an extent. When we're on vacation, I think we all feel a bit freer with our money, so tipping isn't as big of an issue. In our everyday lives though, we come across people who probably make far less than Housekeepers, but work just as hard, yet don't feel the need to tip them.

What I'm trying to say is, if you want to tip housekeeping, great. Don't feel obliged to, and don't feel as though there is a number to which you have to adhere to. But think about in the real world, if you wouldn't tip your local grocery store bagger, then why feel the need to do it at Disney?

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Whoa.Tipping?

Well we do tip our coach driver from sanford to WDW and it's $3.00 for 3 suitcases.The mousemaid we leave $3.00 per day.But if we don't get a towell animal after the third day we ask for it back because were Scottish,:ROFLOL:Joking folks,please no arrows,or fork picks.

Upvote 0

smw

I've never tipped housekeeping at any hotel anywhere, and I've been all over. Honestly I've never even heard of it until this forum.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Don't give the tip till the end! I gave a tip once at the beginning and the service was terrible after... and we gave more than 2 per person per day. Do it at the end based on how good they were. Generally, 2 $ per person, per day.

I actually have had just the opposite experience. When I have not tipped I got adequate service - good but nothing special. When I have left a tip each day I got towel animals, little notes, even my nieces stuffed animals and pyjamas were positioned to make us smile when we returned "home".

Since then I leave daily tips and have always been pleased with the service. I guess it all depends on the person you get.

For the record, I tend to tip mousekeeping because I would absolutely hate to do their job - it would honestly make me completely miserable and the fact that they can do it with a smile on their face deserves a little something in my books.

Besides, I'm kind of a messy girl...I'm sure they hate me with my clothes all over the place :lookaroun

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Tips for Baggage handlers too!

Well 5$ per day is what we do. I notice if you give a bit more, then you get better service such as towel animals:ROFLOL: We tip the baggage handler too about 10$. We usually put our dining tips on our room charge/credit card.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

Not at all. I see nothing wrong with tipping housekeeping. I just don't think it's something people should be slighted for not doing.

I just find it a bit hypocritical to an extent. When we're on vacation, I think we all feel a bit freer with our money, so tipping isn't as big of an issue. In our everyday lives though, we come across people who probably make far less than Housekeepers, but work just as hard, yet don't feel the need to tip them.

What I'm trying to say is, if you want to tip housekeeping, great. Don't feel obliged to, and don't feel as though there is a number to which you have to adhere to. But think about in the real world, if you wouldn't tip your local grocery store bagger, then why feel the need to do it at Disney?

Wait... aren't you supposed to tip the store bagger? (No, I'm not kidding, I do tip the bagger)

Upvote 0

Xethos

I think people need to realize that everyone has different customs when it comes to tipping. Some people are insulted by just the offer of a tip. I know a few people from Ireland that come to the states in the summer and had to have the whole tipping for drinks at the bar explained to them.

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
In before the lock!!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy:

Side note - tipping is automatically charged to our stateroom on our cruise (Disney Magic) but I can tell you, our stateroom hostess earned her tip. She was in the room at least 2x a day: once to clean/tidy up and once to turn down our beds for the evening. it was wonderful!

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

In before the lock!!!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy:

Side note - tipping is automatically charged to our stateroom on our cruise (Disney Magic) but I can tell you, our stateroom hostess earned her tip. She was in the room at least 2x a day: once to clean/tidy up and once to turn down our beds for the evening. it was wonderful!

Just asking, I have never taken a Disney Cruise...Is it automatic or do you choose to pre pay your gratuities?

I know other cruise lines give you the choice to pre pay gratuities or pay while on board.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just asking, I have never taken a Disney Cruise...Is it automatic or do you choose to pre pay your gratuities?

I know other cruise lines give you the choice to pre pay gratuities or pay while on board.

It's all manual - but they give you methods to put it all on your room and give you tickets you can put in your tip envelopes for the various staff positions so you don't have to use cash/etc.

Tipping in cruises is far more 'structured' in they really stress it.

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

It's all manual - but they give you methods to put it all on your room and give you tickets you can put in your tip envelopes for the various staff positions so you don't have to use cash/etc.

Tipping in cruises is far more 'structured' in they really stress it.

Thanks.

Sounds like it is just like other cruise lines.

Thank you again.:D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom