How much do you usually tip Mousekeeping per day?

G00fyDad

It was a 20/20 episode and was undercover filming at a hotel other than Disney. I would hope that Disney Mousekeeping doesn't do that. :( But Disney has cups in plastic wrap so I wouldn't worry about that. If they have any glass ones then I'd still clean them out before using them.

Upvote 0

Disney15

I agree with Captain Kidd! Im from the UK, and I know we have a bad rep for tipping, but I just don't get the tipping thing?! Why do you tip some one for doing a job that they are paid to do?! I dont get a tip for my job so why should anyone else? After all they choose to do that job, and the money I take to Disney is to spend on me and my family! Just because some one is a nice person doesnt mean you throw money at them for that? Is that really the message you want to send out to people, that if you are nice to some one they will give you money?! Why tip a cleaner and not the guy who packs your bags at a shop? I think the tipping culture has gone out of control?! Who started it in the first place? And how do you know when someone is being genuine or just polite so you will tip them! Its not like a Disney holiday is cheap, especially when you fly from the UK and stop for 2 weeks!
After reading a lot about tipping on this forum, what a lot of people do not understand is housekeeping is part of the service industry. Host/hostesses, waiters/waitresses, bartenders and housekeeping fall under hospitality in Disney. I also read on here that waiters/waitresses only work on tips, all wait staff receives a hourly wage, this has been going on since I was a bartender at the Polynesian in the late 80's. Back then the law stated $2.15 per hour, now I believe it is around $4 something per hour plus tips. I have been in the service industry my whole life and do not believe tipping has gotten out of control. I work my rear end off for some tables, they want everything under the sun then leave you between 5 - 8% of a $200-$250 bill. That is the same with housekeeping, yes it is there job but they are cleaning up your mess and servicing you.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

You are not alone!! I pack the mini paper cups to keep in the bathroom when we brush our teeth and I pack some solo cups to keep in the room.

I've actually never done that... but, I might do that too. I'm going to Walmart when I get there and buying a ton of groceries and I'll probably get paper products too.

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

I've actually never done that... but, I might do that too. I'm going to Walmart when I get there and buying a ton of groceries and I'll probably get paper products too.

Little things like this keep me sane. I am a bit of a germaphobe so every little bit helps. Hence one of the reasons I tip mousekeeping before the service is actually done. If it makes me feel better, thats all that matters.:D

Upvote 0

captainkidd

That is the same with housekeeping, yes it is there job but they are cleaning up your mess and servicing you.

Housekeepers are not waitstaff. They get paid a regular hourly wage, regardless of low it might be.

As someone else said, it should be included in the price of the room, ESPECIALLY at Disney, when their room rates are so out of whack with the outside world. You're paying $400-$500 a night for a hotel room, your room SHOULD be cleaned spotless.

Waitstaff, especially if they're good, deserve tips. They make diddly squat per hour. I always tip at least 20%, sometimes more.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
After reading a lot about tipping on this forum, what a lot of people do not understand is housekeeping is part of the service industry. Host/hostesses, waiters/waitresses, bartenders and housekeeping fall under hospitality in Disney. I also read on here that waiters/waitresses only work on tips, all wait staff receives a hourly wage, this has been going on since I was a bartender at the Polynesian in the late 80's. Back then the law stated $2.15 per hour, now I believe it is around $4 something per hour plus tips. I have been in the service industry my whole life and do not believe tipping has gotten out of control. I work my rear end off for some tables, they want everything under the sun then leave you between 5 - 8% of a $200-$250 bill. That is the same with housekeeping, yes it is there job but they are cleaning up your mess and servicing you.

I don't buy into this argument because the 'expectation' of tip doesn't change with the job. A full service waiter works more for me then one working a buffet-yet the buffet waiter wants the same 15-20%.

Housekeeping isn't a direct service role Imo - no more than the guy who stocks the shelves in your local grocery store, delivers your mail, etc.

The hotel janitor works in the hospitality industry too.. but we don't tip them.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Tipping Stories.

True story.First happened at the Olive Garden on I-Drive,we got our bill and at the bottom was three faces,a sad one,a smile one,and one face going loopy.each face had a 10% 20% and a 30%.we laughed that much we ticked the loopy face and gave a 20% tip.The other story we remember happened while waiting for a taxi outside the Sheraton Hotel on I-Drive.This stretch limo pulls up and a family of about six pile out and fling their cases onto the porters trolley which he struggled to get it into the hotel.Then a woman in the party turns to her hubby and says " Honey,Give the man a tip" this guy walks up to the porter and says " Get your money on Tampa to win " and turns around and walks away.We were gobsmacked.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

Housekeepers are not waitstaff. They get paid a regular hourly wage, regardless of low it might be.

As someone else said, it should be included in the price of the room, ESPECIALLY at Disney, when their room rates are so out of whack with the outside world. You're paying $400-$500 a night for a hotel room, your room SHOULD be cleaned spotless.

Waitstaff, especially if they're good, deserve tips. They make diddly squat per hour. I always tip at least 20%, sometimes more.

I do agree that it should be included... but, sometimes, they do go above and beyond. That time I spoke of... that woman made my trip memorable. When they do things like that... I like to give them something. BUT, with typical service... do what makes you happy.

Upvote 0

plaz10

I don't buy into this argument because the 'expectation' of tip doesn't change with the job. A full service waiter works more for me then one working a buffet-yet the buffet waiter wants the same 15-20%.

Housekeeping isn't a direct service role Imo - no more than the guy who stocks the shelves in your local grocery store, delivers your mail, etc.

The hotel janitor works in the hospitality industry too.. but we don't tip them.

This. Exactly.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

I'm always hesitant to chime in on the tipping debate because for every person that agrees with me someone else will tell me what I'm doing is wrong or stupid.

I never used to tip housekeeping until I went with a family that DID tip housekeeping and they got better service. I now tip and I do get better service. Maybe that's wrong...maybe everyone should get outstanding service regardless of tip but honestly, I don't care if everyone gets outstanding service, I only care if I do.

Am I selfish - absolutely! The fact is, I don't worry about what other people are doing on their vacation but I like to make my vacation as enjoyable as possible. I like to be happy and coming home at the end of the day and seeing my stuffed shark "swimming" in the sink with goggles on and a towel bunny on my bed wearing my sunglasses makes me happy.

If it makes you happy not to tip - then don't tip. It's not mandatory - it's an opinion or a judgement call. Think of it this way, I don't like Dole Whips, I know other people like Dole Whips but I wouldn't tell them that buying a Dole Whip is wrong or a waste of money because if it makes you happy to get a Dole Whip - by all means, have one. Just don't tell me whether to have one or not, I can make that decision on my own.

Also - I'm from Canada and in my travels found that we are known for being notoriously bad tippers. In fact there's a joke -

What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?
At least a canoe tips sometimes! :lol::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0
I may be the minority here, but I would actually prefer mousekeeping not to visit my room. When I'm in Disney, I like to feel like my room is my home away from home. I like to come back to it just the way I left it. All I need is the TP / tissues refilled if they're empty, and the trash bin emptied maybe once or twice during my stay. Other than that, I'm set.

One example of why I'd prefer no mousekeeping is my last trip; I proposed to my now fiance, and I had this wonderful silver platter sent to my room from Disney Florist. It had chocolates, a lovely card, and a bottle of "Wishes" wine. I planned on keeping the empty bottle as a memento, but the very next day the bottle was gone. I know it was something silly and minor, but I was devastated.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This question comes up around here from time to time. The fact is that hotel housekeepers (at Disney and elsewhere) generally earn a very low hourly wage. Part of the reason that hotels can get decent housekeepers despite paying such a low wage is that a good portion of guests tip the housekeepers.

Most tipping guides recommend a dollar or two per day per person, but the statistics I've seen indicate that only a minority (a significant percentage, but still a minority) of guests actually do tip housekeepers.

It is true that, when it comes to federal minimum wage laws, housekeepers are not on the list that can be paid a lower minimum wage because of expected tipping -- waitstaff, of course, can legally paid a lower minimum wage. I wouldn't use that as my guide, however, becuase I don't think it's the government's job to tell me who to tip.

The upshot is that tipping is a matter of preference. It is a fact that housekeepers expect tips from a substantial number of guests, but that if you don't tip, you won't be alone in not tipping.

In answer to the OPs question I usually leave a buck or two a day, when I remember. When I don't remember, I don't feel guilty about forgetting. I do try to leave it each day, rather than all at the end or all at the beginning.

Upvote 0

CaptainJackNO

This question comes up around here from time to time. The fact is that hotel housekeepers (at Disney and elsewhere) generally earn a very low hourly wage. Part of the reason that hotels can get decent housekeepers despite paying such a low wage is that a good portion of guests tip the housekeepers.

Most tipping guides recommend a dollar or two per day per person, but the statistics I've seen indicate that only a minority (a significant percentage, but still a minority) of guests actually do tip housekeepers.

It is true that, when it comes to federal minimum wage laws, housekeepers are not on the list that can be paid a lower minimum wage because of expected tipping -- waitstaff, of course, can legally paid a lower minimum wage. I wouldn't use that as my guide, however, becuase I don't think it's the government's job to tell me who to tip.

The upshot is that tipping is a matter of preference. It is a fact that housekeepers expect tips from a substantial number of guests, but that if you don't tip, you won't be alone in not tipping.

In answer to the OPs question I usually leave a buck or two a day, when I remember. When I don't remember, I don't feel guilty about forgetting. I do try to leave it each day, rather than all at the end or all at the beginning.

Totally agree with you. I do the same thing.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

I may be the minority here, but I would actually prefer mousekeeping not to visit my room. When I'm in Disney, I like to feel like my room is my home away from home. I like to come back to it just the way I left it. All I need is the TP / tissues refilled if they're empty, and the trash bin emptied maybe once or twice during my stay. Other than that, I'm set.

One example of why I'd prefer no mousekeeping is my last trip; I proposed to my now fiance, and I had this wonderful silver platter sent to my room from Disney Florist. It had chocolates, a lovely card, and a bottle of "Wishes" wine. I planned on keeping the empty bottle as a memento, but the very next day the bottle was gone. I know it was something silly and minor, but I was devastated.

Call housekeeping and tell them you don't want houskeeping. OR leave a do not disturb sign on the door. Lastly... purchase DVC, then you don't have daily housekeeping.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

I have never tipped housekeeping at any hotel. I don't consider it a tippable role as I normally never get face-to-face personal service from those individuals.

Upvote 0

CamiLyn227

I've never tipped housekeeping at any hotel anywhere, and I've been all over. Honestly I've never even heard of it until this forum.

Same with myself. My parents had taken me to WDW every year when I was a child and we always stayed on site. I had never known that people tipped mousekeeping so I have never tipped on any of my trips as an adult. I never remembered my parents doing this so I asked my mom if she ever did and I just didn't know. She looked at me like I was crazy. She had no idea that people tipped housekeeping at any hotel. Never heard if it. I guess we just feel like that's not the type of position that requires a tip. They only people at a hotel that we have ever tipped are the people who handle your luggage and table service restaurant staff.

Now that I am thinking about all of the times that we have stayed at a hotel (Disney and non-Disney) I am wondering if we should have tipped. But then I am reminded of all of the times we were not satisfied with the mousekeeping and it would be a long list. So, we will probably not be tipping in the future either. We never leave a mess for the mousekeeper to clean up. Everything is always in its place so really they never do much in our room. I can see though if we did make a mess that needed cleaning we may think about leaving a tip ahead of time sort of as an apology for the mess we left.

And as far as the glasses go. We take Clorox wipes with us and wipe down just about everything with them. The tv remote, door handles, counter tops, toilet seat, etc. We also wipe the glasses and then rinse them in hot water before we use them. I am a bit germophobic. We even wipe down our table at quick service restaurants.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

I guess we just feel like that's not the type of position that requires a tip.

It isn't. It is more of a courtesy than anything else. tipping is not required nor expected. It is sort of a small bonus for the Mousekeeper. They do not get bent if it does not happen. I would venture to guess that many people do not tip them. No big deal. When we stated the "guidlines" it was just the norm for what those of us that do tip use. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom