How many times have you been to Disneyland?

Stevek

I'm from the classic California grew-up-in-the-60's-with-yearly-family-Summer-roadtrips-to-Disneyland generation (awesome memories!!!). Combined with my trips as a college student and adult, (a couple of years as a passholder), I'm guessing around 80 times. Considering I'm only a couple of years younger than the park itself, I don't that's too outrageous. :D
Not outrageous at all. During the 70's and 80's, we generally went 2x a year. Once when grandma or my aunt came out from Arkansas, the second for a company private party (TRW, Pacific Bell, Telephone Employees Credit Union). So in a 20 year period, I probably went 40 or so times (that's not included in the 300 number I used above). The funny thing is that the first few years I worked off Ball Road, prior to meeting my wife, I never went. During the 90's, I probably visited 5 times total.

George Lucas on a Bench

Kind of makes me wonder... If your AP exclude you from things like the parades and Fantasmic, would you have gone as often just to do the rides? We've been passholders for WDW as well as out of towners on a vacation and I always wondered if part of the nefarious overpopulation by APers was in part because of the parades and Fantasmic... I know where we are at DL we seem to see a massive flood of people entering near the time things like Fantasmic start and then a large exodus after the event ends.... Makes me wonder if they started having some event free days if the crowds would be more sane on those days since there would be no big draw for the hit and run APers.

Well, with people arriving late, there are a number of factors. I know I've shown up after work plenty of times, or could only go later at night or didn't want to go during the day because it was brutally hot.There are also people migrating from DCA to finish the night at DL. Whatever the reason, Disney encourages this sort of thing. When I was getting my latest AP, the website promoted stopping in for a spin on your favorite ride (if only they knew), having dinner or watching the fireworks. Something to that effect.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm from the classic California grew-up-in-the-60's-with-yearly-family-Summer-roadtrips-to-Disneyland generation (awesome memories!!!). Combined with my trips as a college student and adult, (a couple of years as a passholder), I'm guessing around 80 times. Considering I'm only a couple of years younger than the park itself, I don't that's too outrageous. :D

I'm similar to you. I grew up in Northern California and did the annual, or at least regular, trips to Disneyland that many families here do. I was lucky because I got to go to WDW too as a child. I was so fond of Disney parks I continued visiting DL periodically after high school with friends. That said I'm guessing that I've made 20-25 trips to Disneyland in Anaheim in my lifetime.

D

Deleted member 107043

Not outrageous at all. During the 70's and 80's, we generally went 2x a year. Once when grandma or my aunt came out from Arkansas, the second for a company private party (TRW, Pacific Bell, Telephone Employees Credit Union). So in a 20 year period, I probably went 40 or so times (that's not included in the 300 number I used above). The funny thing is that the first few years I worked off Ball Road, prior to meeting my wife, I never went. During the 90's, I probably visited 5 times total.

How do your feelings and overall interest in Disney compare to when you visited less frequently? Do you enjoy visiting more or less now? Or are your feelings the same?

I've been to Disneyland far less than you have, but I've never felt the urge to go more frequently. I often wonder how that would change if I lived/worked nearby and owned an annual pass.

Stevek

How do your feelings and overall interest in Disney compare to when you visited less frequently? Do you enjoy visiting more or less now? Or are your feelings the same?

I've been to Disneyland far less than you have, but I've never felt the urge to go more frequently. I often wonder how that would change if I lived/worked nearby and owned an annual pass.
When I visited less frequently, it was always an event...something we looked forward to almost like a Christmas morning feeling. Driving south on the 5 and seeing which of us (my brothers and I) could be the first to spot the matterhorn.
For the 7-8 years we had passes, I still had a very high level of enjoyment because my girls were so young and seeing the joy and excitement through their eyes made most visits special. It reminded me of some very special trips with my dad (RIP). We really couldn't get enough and truly enjoyed our visits during the 50th anniversary.

Now, I don't get that same feeling all the time. There are times I look forward to it and there are times where I get there and an hour later I wish I had stayed home. Maybe it's because of the crowds, maybe it's because as I've gotten older I have less of a tolerance for the actions I observe in the parks (get off my yard you whippersnappers). My preference is to visit less now but my girls still "drag" me there because they love it. I just approach it differently now, my wife and I do our thing (usually a couple rides, dinner and a couple drinks) while we let the girls do their own thing. That's not to say we don't have some great family time during the visits, we just feel comfortable doing our own thing while they do theirs. We took a friend on Friday who had not been there in 20 years...had an absolute blast because she was experiencing things she faintly remembered or thing for the first time...and she allowed me to geek out and give her history lessons all day (at her request of course).

Bottom line, DL will always hold an incredibly special place in my heart but visits have often become very "routine" or "normal" versus special...and maybe that's ok. I know that in previous years, I couldn't wait to renew our passes. My wife suggested get them again after a couple years off and now I'm not so sure I'll renew again. I just know I don't want to "burn out" and never want to go back...it's too special to me. As they say, absence make the heart grow fonder.

ctrlaltdel

I've been to DL and WDW a half-dozen times each. I definitely prefer DLR, even though it's farther and more expensive to get to. Generally go every 2-4 years now (2019 for SWL is my next visit!), which is nice because it keeps the visits special. Personally, I think I would certainly become burned out if I was a local and went all the time.

Phroobar

I've been to DL and WDW a half-dozen times each. I definitely prefer DLR, even though it's farther and more expensive to get to. Generally go every 2-4 years now (2019 for SWL is my next visit!), which is nice because it keeps the visits special. Personally, I think I would certainly become burned out if I was a local and went all the time.
It takes a couple of years to get burned out on it and twice as long to want to come back. You just get fed up fighting with the crowds and paying too much for food. You know when to stop when the kids would rather do homework than go to Disneyland. Disney really needs to lower the number of people they let in that place. It wasn't always a zoo. Disneyland was great after the 9/11 attacks. We went a day or two later and the place was deserted. There were more cast members than guests.

Miceberg

As of today, the DLR website says I've been 1308 times. I don't know how long they've been keeping track for me, but I've been visiting the park since I was a zygote and that seems kinda low.

upload_2017-6-6_13-48-35.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom