How many people complaining have actually used it?

What's your experience with MDE?

• Total voters

HouCuseChickie

Tried it during the trial back in Sept. I'm hesitant to say I loved it because we had some issues...BUT...I did like it and probably would have loved it had we been issue free. My main beefs go beyond testing...i.e. the number of FP+ you get per day, 1-park per day, and tier allowances need changes IMO...but if those things were tweaked even close to my preferences and the system worked glitch free- it would be awesome. As for our issues with actually using it- we were using special passes and no matter what anyone did, the system refused to recognize one of our days as eligible for FP+. Thankfully, legacy FPs were still in use, so we could at least rely on those, but I would have been ticked if they weren't and were told "sorry, nothing we can do." I also hated that these special passes couldn't be activated until we arrived, which meant we were booking our FP+ while we were there vs. doing it prior to travel.

StarWarsGirl

I used both FP+ and legacy FP on my trip, and I thought that was awesome...but, had I been limited to just FP+, I suspect I would have felt differently.
I loved double dipping. We went over to MK a little after rope drop, got paper FPs, rode what we wanted to, and then headed over to Epcot, where we used our FP+ for Soarin' and used a paper FP for Test Track. Animal Kingdom was 100% FP+ when we went. It was fine for us (the key words being for us)

I don't like the tiers, I don't like the one park limit, I don't like the 3 a day limit. The first two just need to be done away with, but with the latter, I could see a compromise of allowing 3 pre-made choices (even if tiered) combined with day of visit "bonus FP", like, being able to choose 2 or 3 more with no tier or no limit once you are on the park.
They could do that, but I would limit premade to two and let you make a couple more like you would traditional FPs once you get in the park.
Magicbands I liked. Those are pretty cool. I did enjoy the front gate experience with them.
I have used the RFID sensors on the front gate for two trips now. SO MUCH BETTER! For one, instead of giving APs tickets made out of paper, we now get plastic. So much more durable, don't have to worry about bending, etc. Paper APs were one of our biggest pet peeves previously. A lot of times the old readers would fail to read my pass. It took much longer to get in. Did not have a single issue at the gate with the new RFID sensors. It seemed to cut down on the mammoth lines at the gates

I like integration with MDE/Magicbands and Memory Maker (Photopass).
Didn't use it, but seems better than carrying around a bunch of Photopass cards, which is what I have ended up with at the end of the trip, especially at the water parks.

There are pros, there are cons. But overall, to me, a big MEH!
Yup, pretty much

disneygirl1

Used it during the week leading into Christmas... Overall really like it. Loved the flexiblity of being able to change times. What I dislike, especially now with the removal of the FP- is the limit to only 3 per day, the inabilty to park hop (meaning you can only chose 3 a day and only in 1 park) and the tiering at DHS and Epcot. As a frequent visitor to the the World, I feel like Disney is sort of setting limits to what I can do on my vacation to a certain extent.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just wondering because prior to last week I was in the "Doom and Gloom" camp, but after using it I was very pleased. It's not without its faults but I see real benefit from it. So honestly, how many people on these boards are proclaiming disasters or other severe problems without even trying it yet. And if you have tried it and hate it, let us know too!
I'm pretty much in the same camp. I wasn't really sure going in and had some serious concerns, but it worked pretty well and actually had a lot more positives than negatives. I probably wouldn't call it love, maybe a strong like that could eventually lead to love.:cool:

I find it interesting that 75% of the people who actually used it voted positive. Based on the many, many negative threads about the system I would have expected no better than a 50/50 split. Maybe it's just different members who frequent this part of the board or maybe there have been others like us who had their opinions changed. I guess the 3rd option is a bunch of the people who were really against it decided not to go back to WDW. :confused:

durangojim

Original Poster
I'm pretty much in the same camp. I wasn't really sure going in and had some serious concerns, but it worked pretty well and actually had a lot more positives than negatives. I probably wouldn't call it love, maybe a strong like that could eventually lead to love.:cool:

I find it interesting that 75% of the people who actually used it voted positive. Based on the many, many negative threads about the system I would have expected no better than a 50/50 split. Maybe it's just different members who frequent this part of the board or maybe there have been others like us who had their opinions changed. I guess the 3rd option is a bunch of the people who were really against it decided not to go back to WDW. :confused:
I agree. The main thing that it allowed us and me to do was have a more relaxing vacation and allowed me to spend more time with my family since I didn't have to be the FP runner. This is exactly the opposite of what I thought would happen. Because of those two things alone it was a success in my book.

Nubs70

I agree. The main thing that it allowed us and me to do was have a more relaxing vacation and allowed me to spend more time with my family since I didn't have to be the FP runner. This is exactly the opposite of what I thought would happen. Because of those two things alone it was a success in my book.
I find that being a FP runner satisfies my hunter/gatherer instincts.

JerseyDad

Just wondering because prior to last week I was in the "Doom and Gloom" camp, but after using it I was very pleased. It's not without its faults but I see real benefit from it. So honestly, how many people on these boards are proclaiming disasters or other severe problems without even trying it yet. And if you have tried it and hate it, let us know too!

...upon seeing the title of this thread ...I'm of the opinion that a whole lot of people have experienced, used, encountered, tried, worked with, utilized ...the FP+ / MDE system ...and, in doings so, are definitely not going to send a holiday card to those that devised it.

....for some reason ....the official WDW Site pops up on my Facebook ...and there was a post (by WDW) ...pretty much asking people their opinion about FP+. Well ....from what I read there ...and on numerous other "Disney-centered" sites ....the designers of FP+ shouldn't be feeling all warm & fuzzy.

....the FP+ system ...to me ...seems like something that was giving me diminishing returns on my vacation investment. There were limitations imposed ...yet prices went up. We went in August ...with some 'iffy' expectations ...because I do not like 'change'. After 11 visits in 10 years ...we definitely knew "how to do" WDW. We chose to NEVER do a full dining plan with all the ADR's ...because it really crimped our feeling of freedom. But in August ...with the FP+ ...we felt constricted and restricted all at the same time ....almost to the degree we did when we had a full dining plan (our 2nd visit to WDW back in 2004)

.....this was the first time I left WDW ....feeling like I didn't get my money's worth.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
...upon seeing the title of this thread ...I'm of the opinion that a whole lot of people have experienced, used, encountered, tried, worked with, utilized ...the FP+ / MDE system ...and, in doings so, are definitely not going to send a holiday card to those that devised it.

....for some reason ....the official WDW Site pops up on my Facebook ...and there was a post (by WDW) ...pretty much asking people their opinion about FP+. Well ....from what I read there ...and on numerous other "Disney-centered" sites ....the designers of FP+ shouldn't be feeling all warm & fuzzy.
There was a whole thread about the FP page and it sounded like they left a lot of negative comments up there. The poll on this thread is still 75/25 positive out of those who used the system. Maybe the negative talk is a vocal minority.

Mot

I certainly hope they drop the tiered FP's before May. It seems like you will be limited to what you will be able to accomplish in the time you are there. We had the old FP system down. Now we have to learn the quirks of this new system. We like the magic bands concept but are unsure about the FP as we park hop and could get fast passes at any park we visited in a day.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So I booked a Disney cruise with a post-stay at WDW. I just got off the phone with DCL as I wanted to know if I am going to receive my magic bands in advance for the resort stay. They let me know I would not receive them until I arrived at the resort. I was pretty disappointed to hear that as I will not be able to make my FP+ selections in advance.

sweetpee_1993

I haven't used it. I don't go around saying I hate MM+ or the MBs because that would be dumb. If I've not used it how can I hate it? What I DO say is that I truly don't WANT to use the system. I do not wish to make dining reservations 6 months in advance. I do not wish to schedule FP+. I do not want to wear a bracelet that may or may not coordinate with my outfit of choice (sorry, love my Lilly Pulitzer & the MBs would really clash). The sum of it all acts as a strong deterrent at the rare mention of returning for a WDW parks vacation. I'm sure at some point I'll have to learn the whole thing but for now my brain says no. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member
So I booked a Disney cruise with a post-stay at WDW. I just got off the phone with DCL as I wanted to know if I am going to receive my magic bands in advance for the resort stay. They let me know I would not receive them until I arrived at the resort. I was pretty disappointed to hear that as I will not be able to make my FP+ selections in advance.

Why are you calling DCL about your WDW vacation? The fact you are doing a cruise first should not alter your WDW resort stay at all. Call WDW Reservations and talk to them.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why are you calling DCL about your WDW vacation? The fact you are doing a cruise first should not alter your WDW resort stay at all. Call WDW Reservations and talk to them.

I did not book my WDW resort stay through WDW Reservations. I booked it through DCL as a post-cruise resort stay. Entirely different type of booking that WDW reservations does not handle.

sweetpee_1993

I did not book my WDW resort stay through WDW Reservations. I booked it through DCL as a post-cruise resort stay. Entirely different type of booking that WDW reservations does not handle.
I wondered if you'd booked one of the package things. We always book separately. There was a while there you couldn't book together. Anywhoo, the thing with the MB must be an unanticipated piece of the puzzle on the list of things with that whole new system rollout. If booking your FP+ times is essential and there's no way around the thing with the bands not arriving early you may need to split the reservations/package if possible. Bummer. Kinda kills the convenience factor, I'm sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom