How many digital pictures do you usually take?

antoinebusby

Original Poster
Hi all,

We are getting really geared up for our week vacation at Disney World (starting August 8). We were wondering...for those of you who embark upon the usual week long adventure at Disney World, how many digital pictures do you usually take during that week. We are trying to gauge whether or not we need to bring more memory cards than what we already have. Currently, we will have the ability to take 543 pictures on our camera's best setting. Last year, we used an "old fashioned" 35-mm camera, and I think we used 12 or 13 rolls of 24-exposure film? We did sometimes feel as if we couldn't take a picture of something because we had to "picture count" in order to make the film last all week long. Knowing that we like taking pictures of any and everything that would turn out to be a nice shot, do you think our current capacity will be enough. One last thing, we don't have a laptop, so uploading the pictures at night is out of the question.

Thanks guys!

GenerationX

We have a digital camera and a memory card that allows us 400+ pictures at the highest setting. We will be there for a week starting August 7th (hey, maybe we'll see you there!).

On average last year, we took about 30 pictures a day. We didn't run out of space on our memory card. If we had, we would have gone back through and deleted some of the "less magical" shots to make room.

Laura

Premium Member
I took 477 pictures while there this month (7 days).

493 MB total (I had the camera on the lowest quality setting)

SirNim

In April, I was there for about a week...

Took 1,077 photos... amounting to 1.80 GB.

Could have taken A LOT more... Still had some space on my CF cards...

But mind you, most of the photos were taken with the highest-quality setting, and besides that all, with a rather high MP camera...

SilverStar

I usually take about 1000 pics in a week, but I delete the bad ones each night. I come home with about 400 and end up printing about 100.

SpongeScott

Took over 200 pics on our last trip with the lowest quality setting. I would have taken more, but the wife kept complaining because I was taking too many pictures! She never had to say that when I was using a 35mm! One memory card (64kb) was enough for us.

burnsland

Last year I took 500+ in four days. This year I took 800+ in three days! :rolleyes:

I find digital to be liberating compared to film - I don't have to pay for film or developing, so I take pictures until I run out of space. But then I usually save all of them - you never know when you might need a blurry nighttime photo of Spaceship Earth. :hammer:

saltmom1

I don't have a laptop either and will be taking almost 200 mb of memory space. We are staying for 11 days. is there somewhere in the parks or resorts where you can get pictures printed up from the memory stick ?

SirNim

burnsland said:
Last year I took 500+ in four days. This year I took 800+ in three days! :rolleyes:

I find digital to be liberating compared to film - I don't have to pay for film or developing, so I take pictures until I run out of space. But then I usually save all of them - you never know when you might need a blurry nighttime photo of Spaceship Earth. :hammer:
ROFL! I've got plenty of blury nighttime shots of Spaceship Earth! :lol: Anyone need one? lol

SpongeScott

saltmom1 said:
I don't have a laptop either and will be taking almost 200 mb of memory space. We are staying for 11 days. is there somewhere in the parks or resorts where you can get pictures printed up from the memory stick ?
*shameless plug*

Don't know about in the parks, but a local Target will do it for 27 cents a print.

SirNim

saltmom1 said:
I thought that the ImageWorks at the Imagination! pavilion in Epcot (Kodak) will transfer to CD and/or print images from memory cards/sticks/film... I think... The Main Street Exposition Hall in Town Square in the MK also does photo processing too, I think... But don't quote me for anything I've just written! :)

JBSLJames

How about the space this takes up on the hard drive when you download them. This has always been a major deterant in us using our Digital Camera a great deal.

We currently only have a 16mb card (only about 30 pics) but I am looking at getting some cards with more memory (128 range) for the trip.

burnsland

SirNim said:
I thought that the ImageWorks at the Imagination! pavilion in Epcot (Kodak) will transfer to CD and/or print images from memory cards/sticks/film... I think... The Main Street Exposition Hall in Town Square in the MK also does photo processing too, I think... But don't quote me for anything I've just written! :)
I can't really confirm it, but I have heard the same thing. Never have tried it, though. If they do this, does anyone know the cost?

antoinebusby

Original Poster
SilverStar said:
I usually take about 1000 pics in a week, but I delete the bad ones each night. I come home with about 400 and end up printing about 100.

D'uh!!! I never even thought about doing that. I know every picture that I take during the day will not be a masterpiece, and really not worth even showing anybody. I can just delete all of those at night and free up some more space. GREAT IDEA!!!!

Also, thanks for all of the quick (and very useful) replies!!!!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
saltmom1 said:

There were machines at both the Polynesian and Contemporary (a third at MK was broken in early May, and I can't vouch for either machine being up and running at this present time) that allow you to burn a Kodak Picture CD from the pictures on your particular media type. I know the one at the Contemporary is in the Wine and Spirits shop. It is, if memory serves, $12.95 for the CD. Call the front desk at each resort to confirm that the machines are still there and functional.

Words of advice - plan at least an hour to do this. You could be waiting, depending on whether anyone else is using the machine. Also, to expedite the process a bit, make sure that all the pictures on your memory card are photos you want to burn - basically, get rid of the crap! That way, you can say "Select All" and not have to go thru innumerable pages of pictures and selecting those you want to burn.

burnsland

JBSLJames said:
How about the space this takes up on the hard drive when you download them. This has always been a major deterant in us using our Digital Camera a great deal.
My laptop has a pretty good size hard drive, so it really isn't a problem. Besides that, I write all my pictures to a CD immediately after I download them. I have this fear of accidentally deleting them, and it isn't like you have negatives to get some more prints made.

And then while we are on vacation, I store the CDs with the pictures in a separate location from the laptop. That way, if someone should happen to steal the laptop, I'll still have the CDs with the pictures. Unless of course they steal that bag, too. :lol:

Okay, so I am slightly overprotective of the pictures I take. :p

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Memory cards are cheap - get the biggest one you can. Locally, 512MB SD cards are $60-80, and 512MB CF cards are in the $50-60 range.

SirNim

burnsland said:
My laptop has a pretty good size hard drive, so it really isn't a problem. Besides that, I write all my pictures to a CD immediately after I download them. I have this fear of accidentally deleting them, and it isn't like you have negatives to get some more prints made.

And then while we are on vacation, I store the CDs with the pictures in a separate location from the laptop. That way, if someone should happen to steal the laptop, I'll still have the CDs with the pictures. Unless of course they steal that bag, too. :lol:

Okay, so I am slightly overprotective of the pictures I take. :p
Ever so slightly... lol

antoinebusby

Original Poster
HauntedPirate said:
Memory cards are cheap - get the biggest one you can. Locally, 512MB SD cards are $60-80, and 512MB CF cards are in the $50-60 range.

HA! The cheapest 512MB SD card that I have seen here in Baton Rouge, LA was about $129. Do you know what a $129 can get me at Disney....shoot, that's a meal at Fulton's for two. LOL!!!!! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom