How many bags do you take on vacation?

eliza61nyc

Ok so if I'm totally honest and you have my feet over hot coals, I'll admit, traveling with me is like riding Cleopatra's barge. I am a chronic overpacker and I really believe women who go to Europe for a week and only take 2 pair of shoes are alien pod people, never to be trusted. ;)

my next trip to the world is mid April and I'm trying to get down to a very light carryon. I'm there for 4 days so I think I can do it.

For a week in the world, how many bags do you usually pack. even if you are driving but especially for those who fly?

Much-Pixie-Dust

LOL - if you are a chronic overpacker, you'll think I'm nuts. We travel carryon-only. For my family of four for a trip of 4-8 days, we pack a total of four 21-22" carryon bags and two personal items (that fit under the seats). Fully packed, each carryon weighs about 20-22 lbs. and fits easily into the overhead bins of the plane.

EACH FAMILY MEMBER (DH, me, 11YO son and 9YO daughter) HAS - a single 21-22" carryon rolling bag, containing: (1) 2 pairs of sandals (1 hiking, 1 flip-flop); (2) 2 medium packing cubes holding 5 or 6 warm-weather outfits (shorts and top) with undergarments and socks, PJs, swimsuit and rashguard; (3) for me only, an ebags "Pack-it-Flat" toiletry kit with all of my non-liquid makeup items, the whole family's toiletry items and toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, combs, meds, etc.; and (4) for me and DH only, 3-1-1 bags with liquid makeup items, moisturizer, primer, our preferred shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen, shaving foam and a laundry detergent pod or two (if our visit is going to be longer than 4-5 days, which means we'll schedule a mid-week pool morning and do laundry). Additional items (packed in small packing cubes and spread between the kids' luggage, which due to the smaller size of their clothes are only 75% full after all of their clothes are packed) include cereal, granola bars and Pop Tarts for breakfast, powdered coffee creamer, hand sanitizing wipes, glow sticks, autograph books/pens, a packable beach bag, swim goggles, disposable rain ponchos, clothespins and a cloth laundry bag.

On the way home, we've eaten all the breakfast foods we brought with us, so we have the equivalent of half a bag open for souvenirs. If we still need more room on the return trip, we just use the "beach bag," which one of the kids can adopt as their own "personal item" on the plane.

DH AND I EACH ALSO CARRY - a "personal item" for the plane (tote bag for me, backpack for him), containing our boarding passes, snacks for the flight, IDs, phones, electronics and chargers, earbuds, paperwork, everybody's sunglasses, MagicBands, a pair of shorts for ourselves and each of the kids to change into once we get to Florida. Tucked inside my tote bag is my "park bag," a tiny crossbody purse with all of the important in-park stuff - ID, credit cards, touring plan cards, cash, sunscreen stick, a couple of Band-Aids and some Tylenol, etc..

TO TRAVEL, WE WEAR - all of our bulkiest clothing: sneakers, jeans, T-shirt, ballcap (for DH and the kids) and hoodie. We're usually flying down when it's cold at home and hot in Florida, so we change into shorts on arrival and don't need the jeans again until we fly home. Our hoodies get only sporadic use (late at night, maybe, if the temperature drops too much), so there's no need for any of us to have more than one.

The key to packing light is to make a carefully-curated list ahead of time, and then stick to it ruthlessly. I used to always throw in a few extras at the last minute, "just in case." I learned over time that the "in case" never happens, and that if I'm not sure I'm going to need something, it should stay home. I also try to plan functional "capsule wardrobes" in complementary colors so that all of the clothing each of us brings can be mixed and matched easily.
Your packing precision amazes and inspires me! I love the detail and thought process. I try to be an organized packer, but usually fail miserably.

Upvote 0

DisneyMann

Virtually all the time it's two checked bags per person.

When it's me and my wife, we both have our large suitcases with the normal clothes and shoes (I pack 3-4 extra pairs of sneakers). Then we both have our smaller suitcases. Hers is for toiletries and mine is for water and breakfast snacks.

That way when the water and snacks are fine at the end of the trip.... voila! Empty suitcase for souvenirs on the way home.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
With myself and my 22-yo son, one suitcase going down and the suitcase and a duffle returning. The dirty laundry going into the duffle while we're there, making room for souvenirs coming back.

As a Veteran, I don't pay luggage fees and can bring up to three 70Lb bags, so checking bags is never an issue.

Upvote 0

yensid67

I pack 1 bag that can be checked for flights! I only pack enough clothes for 4 days, then do wash on the 3rd evening and then the night before we leave...so I don't have to do laundry when I get home! A good idea is to roll your clothing, it takes less room, no/few wrinkles=less bags to take!!!
For all those gifts you buy...I ship them home through Post Office or UPS or FedEx thus saving you room in your bag

Upvote 0
I pack 1 bag that can be checked for flights! I only pack enough clothes for 4 days, then do wash on the 3rd evening and then the night before we leave...so I don't have to do laundry when I get home! A good idea is to roll your clothing, it takes less room, no/few wrinkles=less bags to take!!!
For all those gifts you buy...I ship them home through Post Office or UPS or FedEx thus saving you room in your bag
You're after my heart. This is what I'm going to do. One bag per each of us, mail home our souvenirs from the outlets.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I drive. I have one suitcase, toiletry bag, Disney tote with important stuff (MBs, chargers, Ears, etc.)....and half my kitchen.

Lord knows what I will do if I ever move outside the state. I will need several boxes from Owners Locker.

Upvote 0

Mainahman

We just got back from like 8 days there, with 7 days in the parks. We drive, so it changes the game a bit, but each of us had a carry on, then we had a duffel bag full of toiletries and hygiene needs. We then had a snack bag for in the car and then a sac pack we took in the parks. I roll my clothes to fit more in. I had pants, shorts, short sleeve, jacket and hoodies just in case, and oddly enough the weather was that bi polar that we needed it all.

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

LOL - if you are a chronic overpacker, you'll think I'm nuts. We travel carryon-only. For my family of four for a trip of 4-8 days, we pack a total of four 21-22" carryon bags and two personal items (that fit under the seats). Fully packed, each carryon weighs about 20-22 lbs. and fits easily into the overhead bins of the plane.

EACH FAMILY MEMBER (DH, me, 11YO son and 9YO daughter) HAS - a single 21-22" carryon rolling bag, containing: (1) 2 pairs of sandals (1 hiking, 1 flip-flop); (2) 2 medium packing cubes holding 5 or 6 warm-weather outfits (shorts and top) with undergarments and socks, PJs, swimsuit and rashguard; (3) for me only, an ebags "Pack-it-Flat" toiletry kit with all of my non-liquid makeup items, the whole family's toiletry items and toothbrushes, razors, deodorant, combs, meds, etc.; and (4) for me and DH only, 3-1-1 bags with liquid makeup items, moisturizer, primer, our preferred shampoo, toothpaste, sunscreen, shaving foam and a laundry detergent pod or two (if our visit is going to be longer than 4-5 days, which means we'll schedule a mid-week pool morning and do laundry). Additional items (packed in small packing cubes and spread between the kids' luggage, which due to the smaller size of their clothes are only 75% full after all of their clothes are packed) include cereal, granola bars and Pop Tarts for breakfast, powdered coffee creamer, hand sanitizing wipes, glow sticks, autograph books/pens, a packable beach bag, swim goggles, disposable rain ponchos, clothespins and a cloth laundry bag.

On the way home, we've eaten all the breakfast foods we brought with us, so we have the equivalent of half a bag open for souvenirs. If we still need more room on the return trip, we just use the "beach bag," which one of the kids can adopt as their own "personal item" on the plane.

DH AND I EACH ALSO CARRY - a "personal item" for the plane (tote bag for me, backpack for him), containing our boarding passes, snacks for the flight, IDs, phones, electronics and chargers, earbuds, paperwork, everybody's sunglasses, MagicBands, a pair of shorts for ourselves and each of the kids to change into once we get to Florida. Tucked inside my tote bag is my "park bag," a tiny crossbody purse with all of the important in-park stuff - ID, credit cards, touring plan cards, cash, sunscreen stick, a couple of Band-Aids and some Tylenol, etc..

TO TRAVEL, WE WEAR - all of our bulkiest clothing: sneakers, jeans, T-shirt, ballcap (for DH and the kids) and hoodie. We're usually flying down when it's cold at home and hot in Florida, so we change into shorts on arrival and don't need the jeans again until we fly home. Our hoodies get only sporadic use (late at night, maybe, if the temperature drops too much), so there's no need for any of us to have more than one.

The key to packing light is to make a carefully-curated list ahead of time, and then stick to it ruthlessly. I used to always throw in a few extras at the last minute, "just in case." I learned over time that the "in case" never happens, and that if I'm not sure I'm going to need something, it should stay home. I also try to plan functional "capsule wardrobes" in complementary colors so that all of the clothing each of us brings can be mixed and matched easily.
Well, you are going to think we're completely crazy, but we pack practically the same way for a 3 week trip in Orlando (DH 49, me 47, DS 25, DS22) and always have. I don't use packing cubes, I just roll everything. And we always do laundry while there (when I say we, I mean me). I like the way you think!

Upvote 0

graphite1326

When the kids were younger: 1 suite case just under 50# and we each had our carry on. The kids are grown and we go alone. 1 suitcase and each have a carry on. Shorts and pants. lots of T-shirts and buy some too. 2 pair of sneakers (wear one and pack one). We usually end up doing laundry sometime during our trip. We like traveling light.

Also, we take nothing, nothing to the parks. Buy a drink if we need it and eat where we are at the time. So nothing like water bottles or back packs or anything to put in them like that is packed in our luggage.

Note: we take breakfast cereal with us for breakfast and a few snacks. We then have room on our return trip for anything we buy.

Upvote 0
I'm feeling sorta confused on how much to pack for 2 kids? One preteen and a preschooler. They're boys and can be messy though I plan to wash. How many shorts, and T-shirts and should I pack jeans and sweatshirts or jackets for the weather at night? How many outfits do you pack yourself? My LO is potty trained but I'm worried about accidents. Anyone use pull ups while there? We're going in less than a month, should we bring swimsuits and sunscreen? Is sun stroke a big issue this time of the year? Thanks and so lost here lol.

Upvote 0

JoMarch

So, I'm also an over-packer, over preparer and over worrier!

I bring one suit case (which is filled!) I tend to bring lots of t-shirts and other necessities for swapping out from morning to evening.

I also carry onto the plane a loaded back pack. In the back pack are some minor toiletries, 2 outfits and a bathing suit. This is "just" in case my suitcase was ever lost I'd at least have 2 days worth of clothes on hand.

If I travel (fly) with someone else, I like to load each suitcase with a little of each person's clothing - again just in case something happened to one suitcase during flight.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I'm feeling sorta confused on how much to pack for 2 kids? One preteen and a preschooler. They're boys and can be messy though I plan to wash. How many shorts, and T-shirts and should I pack jeans and sweatshirts or jackets for the weather at night? How many outfits do you pack yourself? My LO is potty trained but I'm worried about accidents. Anyone use pull ups while there? We're going in less than a month, should we bring swimsuits and sunscreen? Is sun stroke a big issue this time of the year? Thanks and so lost here lol.

You're looking at average daily highs of 83 degrees, with an overnight low of 63 degrees.

FWIW (I'm one of the "light packers" who posted above). If you're planning to do laundry (even if it's just a few items in the sink, although if onsite, laundry rooms are conveniently located by pools and your load can be monitored remotely throught the LaundryView app), I'd bring no more than one outfit per child, per day. I'd also bring additional shorts for your LO, in case of accidents. For each person, add one pair of jeans and one sweatshirt or light jacket in case evenings get chilly, and absolutely bring swimsuits and sunscreen. (And obviously, check weather forecasts before you go, just to be sure you're not in for unseasonably warm or cold weather). Umbrellas and/or disposable rain ponchos would be a good idea, as well, and you'll also want sunglasses and/or caps with a brim for sunny days. Footwear is up to you, but whether you prefer sneakers, hiking sandals, flip-flops, or a combination of those, make sure it's supportive, breathes well and is well broken-in.

A tip for the toddler: we had just finished potty-training my daughter on her first trip to WDW, and I was concerned that with all there was to see and do, her need to use the bathroom would be the last thing on her mind. We just made it our habit to stop by a restroom every time we passed one, whether people thought they "needed to go" or not, and have everybody use it. That way, there was no potential for accidents.

Have fun and don't worry too much about what you're packing -- just make a list and trust it. If God forbid you find you've forgotten something, there's nothing (short of IDs and prescription meds) you can't find easily on-site.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're looking at average daily highs of 83 degrees, with an overnight low of 63 degrees.

FWIW (I'm one of the "light packers" who posted above). If you're planning to do laundry (even if it's just a few items in the sink, although if onsite, laundry rooms are conveniently located by pools and your load can be monitored remotely throught the LaundryView app), I'd bring no more than one outfit per child, per day. I'd also bring additional shorts for your LO, in case of accidents. For each person, add one pair of jeans and one sweatshirt or light jacket in case evenings get chilly, and absolutely bring swimsuits and sunscreen. (And obviously, check weather forecasts before you go, just to be sure you're not in for unseasonably warm or cold weather). Umbrellas and/or disposable rain ponchos would be a good idea, as well, and you'll also want sunglasses and/or caps with a brim for sunny days. Footwear is up to you, but whether you prefer sneakers, hiking sandals, flip-flops, or a combination of those, make sure it's supportive, breathes well and is well broken-in.

A tip for the toddler: we had just finished potty-training my daughter on her first trip to WDW, and I was concerned that with all there was to see and do, her need to use the bathroom would be the last thing on her mind. We just made it our habit to stop by a restroom every time we passed one, whether people thought they "needed to go" or not, and have everybody use it. That way, there was no potential for accidents.

Have fun and don't worry too much about what you're packing -- just make a list and trust it. If God forbid you find you've forgotten something, there's nothing (short of IDs and prescription meds) you can't find easily on-site.
Thank you! Most lists tells me I need to buy something but this is practical. Looked at long-term forecast and it might be cloudy etc, but you can still get a sunburn on cloudy days! I have a short list of stuff on Amazon, moleskin and body glide etc. We should be OK on laundry and have what we need when we go.

Upvote 0

Bpmorley

Depends on the airline(free bags?) and time of year. I'll have a carry on and my backpack, she'll have a carry on and an over the shoulder tote. We're not the park commandos anymore, so even if we are in a studio we may do laundry while enjoying a pool day.

Upvote 0

KRM

Me, my husband, and 3 year old are going in April for 4 days. I plan on taking 1 large bag, 1 small one, and a wine suitcase :) I plan on buying souvenirs so I need extra room. In the wine suitcase we are also packing snacks so we don't have to buy there. We are staying in a villa. Packing cubes help sooooo much!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom